Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat hunting Kodiak in Oct??? Bring sunscreen!!!

Default Goat hunting Kodiak in Oct??? Bring sunscreen!!!

So this hunt was a long time coming. Members DoubleDs, PolarisBlake, LuJon, and myself all put in for DG475 last December with the idea that if we didn't draw based off the draw odds we'd be unlucky.

Anyways, October 1st finally came. Coming off of night shift the day before DoubleDs and myself were even more tired to start out with even without the 3:00 AM wake up to catch the 6 AM flight for Anchor-town to Kodiak. After a bunch of stops around Kodiak with Seahawk Air's driver we finally were ready to load up the Beaver and start everyone's first flyout hunt around 1 pm.
    LuJon with the gear:

PolarisBlake and LuJon helping Rolan finish load the plane, as you can see not a cloud in the sky:

DoubleDs, myself, & PolarisBlake stuffed into the backseat of the plane.

Landing in the bay that afternoon after a 45 min flight we quickly setup base camp and had a quick hike up the hill to see what we'd be in store for the following day enroute to goat country.

Found that the alders on the hill to goat country weren't too bad really and headed back down the mountain to base camp for some dinner and bed to get a decent start the next day.

After 2 or so hours of hiking we were above most of the alders and grass.

Another 2 hours we got to where we felt was a good location for spike camp......well ok we were tired, cold, and hungry and the ground was level so it sure looked pretty good anyways.

This was the only day it really rained and was socked in. So after getting the tents setup we climbed into our respective tents and cooked up some din din and went to sleep dreaming of goats.

The next morning was clear once again and we soon we spotted two goats right from our tents. PolarisBlake and LuJon took off after one and myself and DoubleDs went off to pursue the other one.

Only 1.5 hours after leaving camp PolarisBlake bagged this nice billy:

8.5" horns and 4.5 inch bases

3 hours later LuJon bagged this old 10" nanny:

Both were great shots and I'm sure they can fill in the details better than I'll attempt as DoubleDs and I were busy all day long putting a sneak on this nanny, and yes the goat is in a nasty alder patch in this pic.

Being as I was the only one left with a tag and we had three sets of hides and meat in camp, we decided that PolarisBlake, LuJon, and DoubleDs would take a load of meat and one of the hides and some of the spike camp back down the mountain while I would solo hunt to look for my goat.

I was glad I made an effort to get atleast into somewhat decent shape for this trip as it made running the mountains relatively easy. About an hour after leaving the guys and camp I was 600 yrds from this group of mostly nannys and a few kids as well as a smaller billy (which is what I was going after) lingering away from the group about 200-300yrds..

Problem was it was 600 yrds of open scree between me and the goats and nowhere to hide. I was wishing i had some whites to try out, but I just sat down and had a little snack to refuel and make a plan. As luck would have it while i was finishing up my snack the fog rolled in and I could no longer see the goats, and better yet they now can't see me. So I clammer my way across the scree as fast as I can only to have the fog lift 5 minutes later still 300+ yrds from the goats. BUSTED!!! They took off across a ridgeline and up an adjacent mountain into the fog and out of sight. Feeling a little dejected I made my way across the rest of the scree slope and onto the very ridgeline the goats had just ran.

While walking across the ridgeline the fog lifted on the mountain above me where the goats had just ran and I spotted 3 goats on the top of that mountain skyline about a mile away. I tucked in close to the mountain to obscure their view of me and began my climb. 20 minutes later I peaked over the crest of the mountain where I had last seen them and now I was looking at 3 mature billies 150 yrds AWAY!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I dropped off the ridge out of sight and ran 100 yrds along the ridge before coming over the top again to be less than 50 yrds from the goats all looking at my direction. I picked out what looked to be the biggest one (which also happend to be quartering away) and let it rip. It stumbled out of sight slowly. I raced over teh ledge it had walked and was able to put the finishing shot on it while it stood 10 yrds away. It rolled over 3 times and stopped. I had my goat.

The self-timer shot ain't the greatest, but its all I got sorry.

9.5" billy

I soon realized that a big mature billy is quite a bit heavier than the previous goats I had seen horizontal. 2 hours later it was quartered, skinned, and bagged. Now began the ferry job back to base camp. Meat one trip, then full hide (going to get a rug mount) & gear the next:

Luckily LuJon and DoubleDs were just making their way back from the salt to spike camp when they saw me ferrying my loads down the slippery mountain slide right before dark and helped me carry the meat, hide, & gear the last 3/4 of a mile back to spike camp in the dark. I owe both of them big time as they were no doubt tuckered after doing the sea to summit run again.

PolarisBlake had hurt his knee on the decent and thus was out of commission and the 3 goat hides, my goat meat, and all of spike camp was more than the 3 of us cared to carry down the hill in one load. So we called up Seahawk and arranged a 2 pm pick-up that next morning to fly DoubleDs and PolarisBlake out with the meat and the hides as getting that taking care of was the first priority.

I have to admit watching those two fly off while LuJon and I sat on the beach knowing we had to hike back up to base camp that night to sleep and pack up the camp the following morning was a bit depressing. But less than 24 hrs later we were on the beach again with all the gear on packed and Rolan showed up less than 3 hours later to fly us back to Kodiak. We hurried back down the mountain as a weather system was coming in and we didn't really want to be stuck out in the bay another week due to weather.

All in all a great trip with great guys. As you can see from most of the pics the weather was AWESOME!!! Only one day of sprinkles the rest was either sunny or high overcast. Didn't see any deer, but didn't see any bears either so we were fine with keeping that ratio the same.

Can't wait to go back!!!

Some more landscape shots:

Wow three for three, thats awesome!! I will be heading up November 1st with the bow (didnt draw any tags!), hopefully I will have good weather like you guys did! Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Wow three for three, thats awesome!! I will be heading up November 1st with the bow (didnt draw any tags!), hopefully I will have good weather like you guys did! Congrats
    Thanks. Actually we went 4 for 4. All 4 of us scored goats on the trip. I'm heading back in Nov. as well to go help be a pack mule (not that he needs it) for a guy doing an archery goat hunt. I hope the weather is half as good as what we had this trip. Good luck on your hunt.

I bet you guys were like:

Thats awesome!

Thumbs up

Congrats all of you thats the first time I have heard of 4 hunters going for goats on one trip and everyone connecting! Plus outstanding weather, what more could you ask for?

Great job guys, and thanks for the pics. Good luck in November.

Lanche,

I see the bear-fence was up...did DoubleD's sleep well?

No plugs around the neck in the pic. Did you let that thing bark w/o them?

Congrat guys cant beat going 3/3.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice job guys!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Wow three for three, thats awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Thanks. Actually we went 4 for 4. All 4 of us scored goats on the trip. .
    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Congrat guys cant beat going 3/3.
    Actually they went 4 for 4. All 4 of them scored goats on the trip

I think this must be what its like when dreans come true. Great job!!!!!

How do you guys count? lol

Congrats. Someday I will fill the corner with a nice lifesize.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Wow, 4 for 4 and in short order with great weather. That'll be hard to top.

Last year we had great weather about the same time in Kodiak. Right at the end of September and beginning of October. In 5 days we got sprinkled on twice, and the rest of the time was clear, sunny and cool. We didn't see a bear either, so I think it is just a rumor that Kodiak has brown bears on it.

Thanks for the detailed write up and pictures!

Excellent hunt report Luke and congrats to all 4 of you on scoring some nice goats!!

Excellent report on an excellent hunt. Did you guys see any other critters while you were out there?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default Way to whack and stack

I was really wondering how that pack job on the big billie would unfold. I'm guessing he'll be a five year old from what I can see. What did he age at? I'd be willing to bet the meat bag was double the weight of what your partners shot. A major consideration when you go after the "white buffalo".

He is beautiful. Way to stick to it. I've found that to hunt goats you have to crawl into their bedroom. If you do this before spotting em it is a daunting task but when you start peaking over ledges and rocks things start happening.

Way to put it together. He'll be a great trophy.

How was it rolling the bones out of those feet? A real pain isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

I love this pic. It reminds of a curiouse animal sticking it's head out trying to see what is happening outside of the pack.

Great write up and congrats to all 4 of you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast