Thread: New Wall Tent purchase questions?

Default New Wall Tent purchase questions?

I'm looking at buying a new wall tent. I've looked at several different models on the net and locally. Sportsman's is out of stock, and Army Navy has some too. It seems that Alaska Tent and Tarp has everyone beat on price and quality, so I'm 99% sure I'll be buying from them after looking at their stuff. It was between them and the Cabela's Alaknak.
    I'll be using it as a base camp on moose and caribou hunts and as a cabin while I build my cabin.
    My question is does anyone have their tent, and if so what do you thing?
    I'll be using it in conjunction w/ a cylinder stove and will usually me and my 2 young sons in it. How does the 8X10 compete w/ a 10x12?
    I'll be backpacking it in sometimes and using an ATv and utility sled to transport it to remote locations too.
    Any help would be great.

thanks Billy

Default Wall Tents

BJ - I lived in AK from 03-07. Did lots of hunting and had a blast. I then moved to Colorado and purchased a Davis Wall tent and wood stove for elk hunting/camping/atv'ng. Davis is very well renowned for their quality and customer service and I wanted one that would last me forever. The nice thing was they were located only 1 hr from my home in Colorado Springs as well. The biggest thing the owner told me was...'many customers skimp a bit to save $ and buy a smaller tent...they then say their only regret is not getting a larger one.'

B/c of this, I bought a 14 x 16 with a screen door and window, traditional poles and stove. The trad poles are easily broken down into smaller pieces and will fit in a standard size truck bed. The internal frame poles are in much longer sections and can be a pain transporting. YOu can also just buy the joints from Davis and make your own internal frame outta PVC...thats a cheaper option.

I used my tent on a high country colorado elk hunt last fall and LOVED it! Temps at night were 17 degrees and I was inside the tent sitting in my chair in shorts and no shirt. The 14 x 16 is large enough to have 2-3 guys, cots, gear, stove and cooking station set up inside. If you cook outside under a tarp, you could easily fit 4-5 guys and gear inside.

I love this tent and plan to use it again on a cow elk hunt in CO in Nov when I return from Iraq. I tell you, coming back to camp at night with a warm stove/fire is just plain nice.

http://davistent.com/
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

I don't think I've ever heard the words "backpack" and "wall tent" in the same sentence before unless used in conjunction with "don't". Some of the bigger tents will easily exceed 100 pounds and some of the poles do not break down shorter than wall height.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I purchased mine from Davis Tent about 5 years ago. I too did much research on it.

Alaska Tent and tarp isn't cheap by any means. I actually bought a tent with the same sunforger material they almost all use accept I had double screen doors, windows and wall and roof stove jack cheaper than the tent from Ak sells with no options.

The only thing Alaska tent and tarp had I liked better was the floor flap material is heavier duty. The part you kick dirt on.

Montana canvas is another place to look.

Only wall tent experience I have is with a 10'x12' Davis tent. I used it for a few years in the lower 48 before moving up to AK and selling it (big mistake). It was a good tent. A couple of times it slept 3 guys on cots plus a wood stove. That worked just fine, but space was pretty limited. If you know you'll be having 3 people on most trips, I'd jump up to the next size. My tent all fit (ropes, floor tarp, but not poles) into a big tote (about 2'x2'x4' give or take). Weight wasn't that bad, but definitely not something you carry on your back.

I didn't have an internal frame with mine, but I did have a heavy duty aluminum ridge pole and used conduit for the vertical wall posts. If you're in an area with timber and are able to cut a few trees, you can erect the tent securely with 7 poles and have it be very secure and stable.

Jeff

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I'm looking at buying a new wall tent. I've looked at several different models on the net and locally. Sportsman's is out of stock, and Army Navy has some too. It seems that Alaska Tent and Tarp has everyone beat on price and quality, so I'm 99% sure I'll be buying from them after looking at their stuff. It was between them and the Cabela's Alaknak.
    I'll be using it as a base camp on moose and caribou hunts and as a cabin while I build my cabin.
    My question is does anyone have their tent, and if so what do you thing?
    I'll be using it in conjunction w/ a cylinder stove and will usually me and my 2 young sons in it. How does the 8X10 compete w/ a 10x12?
    I'll be backpacking it in sometimes and using an ATv and utility sled to transport it to remote locations too.
    Any help would be great.

thanks Billy

hey billy here is another option if it is a tent you will spend a lot of time in...

AIH, ( Alaska industrial hardware) sells a shelter logic out fitters wall tent
    $699.00 include tent frame, cover, insulated blanket, insulated floor that extend up 10-12inches to keep water out, has two windows in front and one large one in the rear... you will have to install your own stove jack.

we used this tent out on our mining claim and Love it.

over all it is Bulky and about 250lbs of weight.

the insulated liner has a foil face on the outer side to reflect the suns heat off the tent in the summer months.

the tent size is 12Wx 16L and has a frame similar to those car port type of frames as you get at cost co or sams clubs.

we easily put 4 cots table and cooking corner in along with a wood stove.

this tent will heat in fall and damp summer with just a single buddy heater.

it is not canvas so is mildew resistant already. the kids and i set it up in about 2 hours ( me doing all the reaching and pulling of tarps.)

the difficulty is getting the main tarp over the frame as you install the ends first and then cover them with the top insulation shell and out liner.

each end also has the double layer.

AIH has one set up in there mezzanine area here in Fairbanks, i know mat Su store also carried them and should have one set up to look at..

cost per pound This is a DEAL compared to a canvas tent that you may still have to buy a frame for...

again.. we paid regular price. $699.00 for all.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I was looking at Davis tent and Montana tent too, but shipping would kill me. Alaska tent is setting up an 8x10 for me on monday for me to look at. I think I'll spend the extra money and buy the 10x12.

Default Davis Tent

I too have a 14 by 16 Davis Tent with Traditional pole setup. Fantastic tent, great cylinder stove that keeps it toasty warm during the snotty weather. The vinyl floor w/ cut-out for the stove is a great option.

I caution those that choose to cook inside the sleeping tent...3 years ago along the Idaho Continental Divide, after cooking steaks inside my tent one snotty night I was visited by a bear with attitude. He came through the side of the tent, (made his own doorway) but was met by me and my hatchet. Apparently he thought I had an even worse attitude than his, the encounter was short lived. Cost me a full morning of hunting while I sewed up the danged 3 foot gash. I try not to cook inside the tent anymore.....

The above photo shows the gash and the danged claw holes that mangy critter put into my tent fabric. The next photo shows the tent after my morning sewing job. I've since had the entire panel replaced with the same material used in construction.

If you get a wall tent, don't plan on back-packing it in. Wall tents are best ferried into the back country by horses or ATV's, not on the backs of human beings. Just too heavy and bulky.

There are many "material options" choices when ordering a wall tent. Think "Thread Count" as in bedding sheets. The higher the thread count the better the material. Don't think in terms of heavy weight duct, like 20 ounce duct. Bigger is not necessarily better. The higher the thread count, the closer the weave of the threads and the more waterproof the material. Army duct is not a particularly good quality material, as the threads are rather heavy, thick and course and consequently not tightly woven.

My tent came with a screen door, but I find that the fall/autumn times when I hunt rarely have insect problems so I could have done without the screen door. I did have pockets sewn into the walls which have come in handy. The poles I've modified with hooks to hang a first aid pack and Laterns. Portable tables really help out with organization.

The wood cylinder stove is a God send. Hint: when I make camp I find the largest stone I can carry inside the tent and place it on top of the stove. The stone captures all that heat generated when the fire is roaring and retains that heat throughout the night while sleeping, helping out to chase the morning chill. Also when making camp, always store enough wood inside the tent for an emergency fire if you come back to camp wet and chilled. The dry wood inside the tent will aid in getting heat going quickly. For every day use, use the outside wood, saving the inside wood for the last night or emergency use.

As for lighting the stove, I've had pretty good luck using a Propane torch and a 1 lb portable propane bottle. That little self igniting torch does a good job getting the fire going inside the stove when paper or kindling is no where to be found.

Another nice feature of the cylinder stove is the 4 gallons of hot water that the side saddle water heater makes. It's great for storing heat and for personal hygene in camp.

Generally speaking 4 guys and all their respective gear, a table and the wood stove are quite comfortable in the 14 by 16 tent. It'll sleep more but for an extended stay this size is comfortable for four hunters.

Home for me, is where ever my Davis Wall Tent is pitched.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I would cross off the Alaknak, I have owned and sold that tent. It is simply not even in the same league as any of the others listed here. I would go w/ the shelter logic before the Alaknak, hands down. If it was me I would look at the AK tent and tarp "Arktika", not cheap but super sweet!!

Smile so many...

There are lots of wall tents on the market. A big white canvas wall tent is the best camp a guy can have, next to a cabin. My 2 big tents were both made by Montana Tent and Canvas and are made out of there Real Lite material. One of them is their original white 12'6" x 12"6" Alaknak with a green fly. It is no longer made. It weighs 18 lbs. and has 3" side walls with a center pole for the 11' center. It is at it's best with 2 guys, cots and wood stove, though I have slept 4 in it. The other is a 12' x 17' wall tent in tan color, with their internal aluminum frame. I can set it up by myself in under an hour if it is raining, longer if the sun is shining. I had extra windows and 2 screen doors put in it. Ther is no floor in it and we put a mat by each cot. I have pitched the tent and drove the machines into it to unload gear. I am careful where I set them up as they are not made for high winds. They are much lighter then canvas which helps when packing in and setting up. A traditional white canvas wall tent with spruce pole frames is thing of beauty to my eyes. But, for the average guy they are heavy and require more effort to transport then those made of Real Lite material. I may set the Alaknak up in the yard this wiinter so the Grankids can get some winter camping in!

Smile so many...

There are lots of wall tents on the market. A big white canvas wall tent is the best camp a guy can have, next to a cabin. My 2 big tents were both made by Montana Tent and Canvas and are made out of there Real Lite material. One of them is their original white 12'6" x 12"6" Alaknak with a green fly. It is no longer made. It weighs 18 lbs. and has 3" side walls with a center pole for the 11' center. It is at it's best with 2 guys, cots and wood stove, though I have slept 4 in it. The other is a 12' x 17' wall tent in tan color, with their internal aluminum frame. I can set it up by myself in under an hour if it is raining, longer if the sun is shining. I had extra windows and 2 screen doors put in it. Ther is no floor in it and we put a mat by each cot. I have pitched the tent and drove the machines into it to unload gear. I am careful where I set them up as they are not made for high winds. They are much lighter then canvas which helps when packing in and setting up. A traditional white canvas wall tent with spruce pole frames is thing of beauty to my eyes. But, for the average guy they are heavy and require more effort to transport then those made of Real Lite material. I may set the Alaknak up in the yard this wiinter so the Grankids can get some winter camping in!

Default Wall tent and stove ordered!

I ordered my Cylinder stove (hunter kit) came w/ everything including warmer top and 3 gallon hot water tank from Cabela's. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I ordered a 10X12 Cabela's wall tent, called and found that Montana Canvas makes them for Cabela's. Reason I went w/ Cabela's/Montana is cause it came w/ 6' walls not 3'7" like AK Tent and Tarp. I comes w/ 40 metal stakes and ropes, is fuly treated, has sod cloth, window, stove jack etc. After comparing Davis, AK tent and tarp, and Montana/Cabelas. The Montana/Cabelas w/ shipping included was the best value for me. I just can't wait to get it all!