Thread: casting rods ≤ 8 feet?

Default casting rods ≤ 8 feet?

Yes, an other thread!

As you may have guess, I'd like to find a casting rod ≤ 8 feet. All for under 80$. I've check out the ugly stick lite rods, but they're 8'6". Anyhow, what are ya'll favorite rods ≤ 8 feet, and ≤ $80?

8'6" is pretty much the standard for western river fishing. I have a few sub 8 footers in my quiver which are dedicated plug rods (for the boat). For drift fishiing I think my shortest rod is a 9'2". What will be your primary method?

if your lookin to buy one in alaska, don't. casting rods like those precious berkley "buzz ramsey" IM graphite rods that go for 60 to 80 dollars in ak only go for 25 -30 max in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocklizard View Post
    8'6" is pretty much the standard for western river fishing. I have a few sub 8 footers in my quiver which are dedicated plug rods (for the boat). For drift fishiing I think my shortest rod is a 9'2". What will be your primary method?
    Mostly casting spinners, spoons, and floats from shore. Mostly in rivers and a lake or two.

When I throw floats, whether with jigs or bait, I use a spinning set up. Im a die hard baitcaster guy when it comes to drift fishing gear or throwing spinners/spoons, but the spinning set up is much better for floats.

On the original note, you will more than likely want a longer rod for the big rivers, it helps with line control. To me, 8'6" seems like a short rod now... you get used to it. For the lakes it probably doesnt matter much, but I stick to moving water.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rocklizard View Post
    When I throw floats, whether with jigs or bait, I use a spinning set up. Im a die hard baitcaster guy when it comes to drift fishing gear or throwing spinners/spoons, but the spinning set up is much better for floats.

On the original note, you will more than likely want a longer rod for the big rivers, it helps with line control. To me, 8'6" seems like a short rod now... you get used to it. For the lakes it probably doesnt matter much, but I stick to moving water.

Good luck
    Thanks I'll look into spinning reels for floats...

But the only reason I'm kinda hesitant is because I don't wanna have a heavy rod. I also wanna be able to set the hook, and make a more accurate casts.

Quote Originally Posted by g.r.p. View Post
    if your lookin to buy one in alaska, don't. casting rods like those precious berkley "buzz ramsey" IM graphite rods that go for 60 to 80 dollars in ak only go for 25 -30 max in the states.

Are they really that much up there?! I got mine down here... The beginning of september for $75. But I know since they were on clearance earlier this year... They've been around $50 here in Southern Oregon.

OreG