Thread: Recommended 2-up machines

Default Recommended 2-up machines

Hello folks,
    We've got a couple of used AC last year, but with the wives involved and apprehensive about riding solo, we're considering finding a used 2-up machine. Any recommendations about brand/type/models? Our place is in Sterling, so service in that area would be great! Haven't been in the snowmachine scene for years, so not up the latest machines.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default The big 4

all have good machines. I've had a couple of Yamaha Ventures with good experience. I agree you would be wise to get a brand with a dealer near by.

Default Big Jim.....

Welcome to ODD... I am not saying ti's the best, but I have a 05' Polaris LX widetrack. got a nice ride, good two up seat, nice storage and great for hunting/fishing/trapping. As mentioned above, all big 4 have nice 2 up features. heres a pic of the LX. No changes this year that I am a ware of. The LX is pulling the little guy out.
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007 at 21:41.

Default Expedition TUV

I second a widetrack. Might be hard to find a used one, but Ski-Doo's Expedition TUV with either the 4 stroke or 2 stroke is a good 2up machine. It is a widetrack that has the comforts of a touring machine. Heated passenger grips, wind deflectors, lots of suspension, comfortable seat, etc... It is a big machine, but you can also work it hard. I run one with the 600 SDI motor and use it to hunt and explore. I hate riding double on anything, but if that is what you want take a look at one of these. New they are well over 9000, but I saw 2 used ones this fall and one was 6500 and only 1 year old.

I prefer Yamaha's Viking (VK540 III) to any Polaris Widetrack, but for a mom-and-dad sled the Yamaha Venture is pretty sweet. Two-up seat, electric start, heated grips for driver and passenger, reverse, mirrors, 136" track, rack w/ hitch...it sounds like I could be a salesman. Well, I happen to have a very low-mileage Venture 500 liquid for sale! PM me if interested.

Mr. Pid
    Why the viking over a widetrack. Just wondering.
    45north

I think Polaris Wide Tracks were fantastic snowmachines in the early '90's. I built my cabin using one. The early '90's were 15 years ago and very little has changed on a Wide Track. Very little.

In the late '90's I bought a Viking II and loved it. Air cooled so it never overheated like a Wide Track. The transmission never broke. The rear articulating section of the rear suspension never broke. (All those things are common with Wide Tracks.) It did it's job and was rock solid. Then Yamaha came out with the Viking III. 13 1/2" of rear suspension and it still pulls a big load. Sweet. Like riding a big couch. I traded up. I've never regretted it.

I've ridden the new Yamaha Professional. That's the most impressive work machine I've been on by a mile, but I don't need another one badly enough to justify the price right now. Without question my next work sled will be a Professional.

Well I looked at that yamaha pro and it looks like a nice machne. Except for two things MSRP $ 10200.00 WOW and dry weight 765 lbs. Thats almost 150 lbs. heavier than my 98 widetrack and I thought my widetrack was heavier than a coal barge.
    I do have problems with my tranny, no high range just low range and reverse. I don't blame the machine. I have worked this machine hard and I play hard on her to ,as it is my only sno go. I have several thousand miles on this machine and it still runs great.

45north
    sorry for hijacking the thread

Default Arctic Cat

If your looking for a cheep 2-up machine, Sid is selling a Arctic Cat wt., with low mileage.

45north:
    The Polaris WT has two chains in the transmission; one chain may be broken. They are not hard to fix, no special tools.

Any opinions on the 90's vintage Scandik wide tracks? I'm also looking for a machine that I can use with my son for getting to our cabin, doing some exploring, maybe some trapping one day. Just a little scared of the thing being so heavy if I get it stuck it may be there 'till spring.

I can recomend that you DONT get a Ski doo SWT for 2 up travel. Its a great machine for what its designed for but not a good general purpose machine. I have one and love it for its flotation and towing ability but absolutly hate to ride double on it. The seat is too low and tunnel to wide at 24 inches to sit on for an extendid period of time.
    The Ski Doo WT is a great general use machine with higher seat and a tunnel that you can straddle all day riding double.
    As usual your experience may vary, but thats my 2cw

Regards,

Jim

Hi guys, thanks for all the info; Mr. Pid, I sent a pm to ya a few days ago regarding your machine, did you get it?
    Will take all comments under consideration!
    Big Jim

I did get it, and replied. I'm just running later than expected. Thanks for the reminder. I needed it!

I had a 97 Scandic wide track and liked it plenty good. It would tow and go. I got into touring and ended up wanting more go than tow so traded it.

As for the concern about getting a machine that heavy unstuck, I hear you loud and clear. They really go good and don't get stuck too often if you use your head, but the few times I did dig it out were a real chore. Any machine in this class (20 by 156) is going to be heavy.