Thread: The mother lode

Default The mother lode

So, I was out fishing last weekend and found all this shiny gold colored stuff. I figured it might be interesting to make knobs for the cabin or something out of it, so I filled a few five gallon buckets with the rocks. Sure was heavy...
    Anyway, if someone were to happen into gold nuggets or flakes where could one research the value of and find buyers for said material?
    I know this is a dumb question, but I don't know anythign about gold, or money, or women, for that mattter.

Chances are if it you say rocks, it's pyrite molded in with shale. Could very well be gold, though.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

its very toxic. give it to me and i will despose of it properly! do not touch or you will be in allot of toxins.. i will pm you my number so i can come remove it from your presence.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but I don't know anythign about gold, or money, or women, for that mattter.
    :D

Throw a pic up on here and see if anyone might be able to help you out...

A 5 gallon bucket full of gold weighs about 800lbs

Quote Originally Posted by DanAK View Post
    A 5 gallon bucket full of gold weighs about 800lbs
    You could buy a NEW excavator with that!

Talking

Hey. If I had a bucket full, I would not need one lol

thats not right on the weight,.. if that was the case MR.T couldnt walk.
    Semper Fi!

1 square foot 12"x12"x12" of gold weighs in at about 1200 lbs

Default gold

the unit weight of gold is allegedly 1204 PCF. I believe a cubic foot is six some gallons, but that is from memory.
    Still, my two buckets of nuggets do me no good unless I have someone to buy them. Where might I be able to sell gold? Is there a "regular" buyer in Anchorage?

i will give you my pfd for it! pm me.
    Semper Fi!

I forget the name of the business but there is a place that buys it in anchorage. They assay it for quality and then pay based on the type of gold. fines, flakes, small nuggets, large nuggets, etc.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Okay, 5 gallons of gold equals 0.668 cubic feet (not square feet). Gold weighs 1182 pounds per cubic foot. Therefore a 5-gallon bucket of gold would weigh 789.6 pounds or 12,633.22 oz. At today's closing of $1,048.60 for gold (does not include premium for nuggets), the value of that bucket would be $13,247,190. Yes, that's millions.

Default I'll

I'll settle for half a five gallon bucket. The real value of gold is not in the weight but the jewelry and collectors value. Which could fetch a heck of a lot more.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

789.6 pounds is roughly 9,475 troy ounces

auction your bucket

Default Cash4Gold

Cash4Gold will take it. Just mail it to them and they will send you a check! Gotta love their commercials.

(Not sure who would just mail off gold to someone they don't know and wait for a check in the mail, but to each their own).
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

So, I was out fishing last weekend and found all this shiny gold colored stuff. I figured it might be interesting to make knobs for the cabin or something out of it, so I filled a few five gallon buckets with the rocks. Sure was heavy...
    Anyway, if someone were to happen into gold nuggets or flakes where could one research the value of and find buyers for said material?
    The one important thing to know about gold is it's very dense, so unless you got a river right after a flood and the gold hadn't settled out, you aren't going to find it on the surface of a stream bed.

Talking Ignore Greythorne3

Just ignore him, I will take that toxic stuff off your hands for free! You need to get as far away from it as possible! The damage may already be done!
    I am doing you a favor and saving your life and sanity! Gold fever kills!
    Run, run for your life! Uh, just be sure to leave the buckets behind!

Thumbs up

the unit weight of gold is allegedly 1204 PCF. I believe a cubic foot is six some gallons, but that is from memory.
    Still, my two buckets of nuggets do me no good unless I have someone to buy them. Where might I be able to sell gold? Is there a "regular" buyer in Anchorage?
    Very little gold is sold. It is more valuable as a Barter Item. No Taxes that way. ;)
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Oxford Assy & Refining

I believe they are down on Arctic - just north of 36th on the west side.

This is an interesting place for anyone to visit - take your tourist friends in there and view some of the nuggets and coins they have.

http://www.oxfordmetals.com/
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!