Thread: Shipping a 4 wheeler

Default Shipping a 4 wheeler

Whats the best avenue to ship a 4 wheeler to Ohio from Alaska? Anyone done this? I'm trying to help out a friend and hopin this doesn't turn into a giant PITA!! Anyone got any ideas?
    EricL

Before I moved up here, I used to be active in kart racing. I knew a guy who operated as a shipping broker for people shipping karts long distances, but he no longer appears to be in business.

Anyway, here's how it would typically work. You would need to get the ATV strapped onto a pallet--either unenclosed and out in the open, or perhaps you could get the packing materials from a dealer that new ATVs are delivered in and use that to enclose the ATV. The shipper will probably insist that you drain most of the fluids and fuel out of it first.

Most likely you would then go through a freight broker, who would find an LTL (less than truckload) shipper to take it from Ohio to Seattle. Your friend would likely have to drop the ATV off at the shipper's terminal.

Once you get it to Seattle, (likely another) freight broker will consolidate it into a partially-filled Conex bound for Alaska. (Conversely, if you know someone who runs a business where they ship large quantities of materials up here regularly, perhaps you can piggy-back on one of their shipments for next-to-nothing.) It would then come up here by ship or barge. Likely you would then have to pick it up from the shipper's terminal up here--possibly from someone like Lynden or Carlisle.

You may very well find that it's just cheaper to sell it in Ohio and then buy a replacement that's already up here.

Try giving someone like these guys (http://www.uship.com/community/stori...pping-my-kart/) a call and see what kind of quote they come up with.

Finally, try calling a few air freight brokers (not UPS or FedEx--but someone like Lynden) and see how much they'd want to fly it up here. Occasionally their rates are surprisingly reasonable.

Carlile or American Fast Freight could quote you an LTL price. Due to the tendency of freight carriers to damage freight, I'd crate it. The suggestion below of asking if one of the ATV shops will give you a used crate is a good one. I'd also suggest you bite the bullet and ask for insurance on the value of the ATV when you get your quote, because otherwise they pay some dismal 20 cents a pound or something, which won't begin to cover it. If you call Carlile or American Fast Freight just ask the receptionist for LTL freight quote department and they'll help you from there. Also, I don't think they'll make you drain more than the gas because it's not flying, it's going truck/barge that way. They should advise you of what the requirements will be.

The reason I did not mention Lynden is that Lynden is typically the most expensive carrier by far- usually twice as much as the other two- but their service is usually quite good so if you want you could try them too.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Minnesota

There is a trucking company that comes out of Minnesota each week and is often times looking for back hauls, I think they can also transfer it for shipping to Ohio or wherever but your friend might want to run over to the Twin Cities to see a REAL football and baseball town LOL, I will try to round up there name tommorow and post it for you then.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Carlile ships by truck out of the midwest. I pick up my freight there weekly and I see snowmobiles, motor cycles and ATV's from the lower 48 in there all the time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Look on the Swap and For Sale Board on this site. There is always someone offering to haul stuff to lower 48 in an empty trailer. Maybe they can get you close to where you need it to go.

I'm shipping a motorcycle from AK to Dallas, TX next spring and was quoted $857 by Panalpina in Anch. I will have to crate the bike and deliver it to them.

I would imagine that from the lower 48 to AK would cost more because they will typically have full loads. Back hauling from AK to the lower 48 will have much lighter loads.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Before I moved up here, I used to be active in kart racing. I knew a guy who operated as a shipping broker for people shipping karts long distances, but he no longer appears to be in business.

Anyway, here's how it would typically work. You would need to get the ATV strapped onto a pallet--either unenclosed and out in the open, or perhaps you could get the packing materials from a dealer that new ATVs are delivered in and use that to enclose the ATV. The shipper will probably insist that you drain most of the fluids and fuel out of it first.

Most likely you would then go through a freight broker, who would find an LTL (less than truckload) shipper to take it from Ohio to Seattle. Your friend would likely have to drop the ATV off at the shipper's terminal.

Once you get it to Seattle, (likely another) freight broker will consolidate it into a partially-filled Conex bound for Alaska. (Conversely, if you know someone who runs a business where they ship large quantities of materials up here regularly, perhaps you can piggy-back on one of their shipments for next-to-nothing.) It would then come up here by ship or barge. Likely you would then have to pick it up from the shipper's terminal up here--possibly from someone like Lynden or Carlisle.

You may very well find that it's just cheaper to sell it in Ohio and then buy a replacement that's already up here.

Try giving someone like these guys (http://www.uship.com/community/stori...pping-my-kart/) a call and see what kind of quote they come up with.

Finally, try calling a few air freight brokers (not UPS or FedEx--but someone like Lynden) and see how much they'd want to fly it up here. Occasionally their rates are surprisingly reasonable.
    Oops--reverse my directions--I answered it as Ohio-to-Alaska, while you were asking for the reverse route.

Hey guys, thanks for all the information!! Need to get this thing going...
    EricL

We have suppliers ship to Span Alaska in Auburn WA and Span brings it north. PIck up in Anchorage or for 150 more they deliver to our door. Use factory crating if he can get it. Even if he has to buy it. A home built crate will likely be heavier and he'll be paying the freight on that too. Insure for full replacement value.

Default Eric L

I just shipped... or am in the middle of shipping a 85 Honda 350X from So Cal to Anch. Carlile is great, quote up front, and will have it picked up where ever you specify. Only problem is you need to have it crated, and no gas for N. bound stuff.
    Hope this helps, need to get your bike in order first and have crate dimensions when you call for quote.