Thread: ceramic tumbling media

Default ceramic tumbling media

Is there any place in town (Anchorage/Valley) that has ceramic media for tumbling? Been thinking about trying some. Thanks

Will

Default Gun Shops

I haven't seen any at gun shops, and I got mine either through Shiloh Rifles or Cabelas, can't remember which. I would bet with all the machine shops and oil industry suppliers, somebody would have basically the same thing but not marketed as such. My dad had something like it but in too big of pieces (used them for his sling shot :-) ). It was ceramic media used in turbines or something to clean the parts, not sure. It was the same thing but in perfect size sling shot balls. Maybe worth checking into if you have any connections.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Is there any place in town (Anchorage/Valley) that has ceramic media for tumbling? Been thinking about trying some. Thanks

Will
    WW Granger used to stock all kinds of tumbling/blasting media but I have not looked in years. If you have an account or can buy from them you will Just need to know what grit and type you need since they wont have a clue.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default I would vote "NO" to ceramic media

Hi Will--I just noticed your post, and it occurs to me that any residual ceramic media would scratch the bore without mercy. I am pretty careful about cleaning polished brass up, and I have still found a piece or two of the media lodged down in the primer hole. It would probably be less of a possibility with the smaller and very spherical shape of the ceramic media, but it sure could be a bad deal if any of it did stay back in the cartridge.

Otherwise, it probably works really well for the polishing, and probably lasts almost indefinitely, with occasional cleaning/washing.

Regards,
    Jim

Default Actually

The ceramic media I have is small cylindrical pieces with a taper cut on each end. No way you can miss it and have residual in your cases. It doesn't break into smaller pieces like regular media after use. The only problem I have had is using .30 caliber and under, the media actually is just the right size that multiple pieces can lodge tightly in the neck and then it's a pain in the neck getting it out. BPCR cartridges and pistol cartridges aren't a problem though.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Ceramic media and even walnut has always made me nervous. Any fine particles, dust, etc. from the media might damage a match grade bore, or maybe not. I've always used corncob media with Dillon cleaner. Gets my brass very clean and I can't see any reason to go more aggressive.