Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shop advice?

Default Gun Shop advice?

Yesterday I stopped by a gun shop that I had never been to and to put it nicely had a "WILD" experience. One gentleman's customer service was so rude and uncalled for that I don't care to ever step foot in his establishment. Any recommendations on a reputable shop with a selection of .22LR or 22MAG's. Looking for a rifle to tag along on a Kodiak deer hunt for the fox. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTR View Post
    Yesterday I stopped by a gun shop that I had never been to and to put it nicely had a "WILD" experience. One gentleman's customer service was so rude and uncalled for that I don't care to ever step foot in his establishment. Any recommendations on a reputable shop with a selection of .22LR or 22MAG's. Looking for a rifle to tag along on a Kodiak deer hunt for the fox. Thanks for any advice.
    Where are you located geographically in AK? I try to not put too much stock in any one meeting. Perhaps it was so bad as to be inexcusable, but everyone has bad days, even me. Maybe bring it up to the guy or if he is not the owner, mention it to the owner/manager by phone if you don't want to go back inside before this is straightened out. The gun shop may be filled with jerks, but I would check into it before you write it off. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Default Gun Shop

For used guns I always shop here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...play.php?f=102
    and here http://www.907bigboytoys.com/index.php and here
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Guns_Hunting/

As far as gun shops I have used
    Great Northern Guns Inc 2920 E Tudor Rd Anchorage, AK 99507 (907) 563-3006
    Northern Security Supply Inc 4147 Old Seward Hwy
    Anchorage, AK 99503 (907) 561-5602
    and even Sportsman Whse and was very pleased with the service

I have also had "WILD" experience and will never step in the place
    again. Thanks Del

Default Gun Shops

Not to say there are not other Good one out there. These are just the ones I have had the most dealing with. Del

Reading between the lines of his post, I'd say Huntr lives in Anchorage and met one of the posters on this very forum. Oddly enough, I've had much the same experience and reached the same conclusion!

Anchorage has about 16 places where you can buy guns and ammo, including the big box stores and excluding the pawn shops. I'm sure you can find what you want at one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Reading between the lines of his post, I'd say Huntr lives in Anchorage and met one of the posters on this very forum. Oddly enough, I've had much the same experience and reached the same conclusion!
    I could see that in his post, but I always think it best to call the kettle black if that's what it is. Why the hinting and innuendo? Most shops are not filled with jerks; if they were they would likely struggle financially and go out of business, but I digress. The typical first step when we have a bad experience is to ridicule and search for a place of comfort. That's natural, but the right thing to do is make the issue clear to the party that is in the wrong and see if the situation can be resolved. IME that normally restores the relationship or makes clear the character of the other party. Either way you can move forward knowing you have done all that is possible to settle the bad experience.

+ 1. Yesterday was the first time I went there and was my last. Will vote with my wallet in other places.

Customer service is where it's at and if i'm greeted rudely or treated like a foreigner, i'll take my business and money elsewhere.

One other shop that wasn't mentioned is Alaska Custom Firearms, stop by and talk with Steve, he will treat you right and do his best to find what you need.

Default gun shops

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post

Anchorage has about 16 places where you can buy guns and ammo, including the big box stores and excluding the pawn shops. I'm sure you can find what you want at one of them.
    I to have had a lot of bad experences with this jack***.
    stay away far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I like the AMMO CAN on spnard and benson. 272-AMMO

My favorite gunshop in the greater Anchorage bool is Boondocks in Eagle River. The don't have the biggest selection, but their prices are fair and they always seem to have a couple of interesting guns in the used rack, and sometimes some great deals on the table when you come in the door. 22 rf seems to be disapearing from everyones shelves, so no gurantee on a huge selection, but you should find something there. They won't try and come on with their great wealth of knowledge and make you feel like you don't know what you want to buy. Just friendly Alaskans that like hunting and fishing and guns and fishing equipment.

As to the op, yeah it seems many of us have had such an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    One other shop that wasn't mentioned is Alaska Custom Firearms, stop by and talk with Steve, he will treat you right and do his best to find what you need.
    +100 On that! I always seem to be running into guys who post here when I visit Steve's.

Default Anchorage Gun Shops

I've had great luck with gunsmithing at Steve's place and prefer Boondocks and Great Northern for purchasing, browsing, and getting advice.. There are several good shops out there I like to stop in when I get the chance, but those three are my main stays.

I second Boondocks. Have done a lot of business here and always had good service. Prices are good too. I've compared Boondocks vs. Sportsman's Wharehouse, Walmart and others and quite often they have the lowest price. I like Sportman's Wharehouse due to the variety of stuff, the cool mounts, and for the window shopping, but I rarely buy more than a few accessories and maybe a soda for the ride home. Living in ER I haven't checked out many of the smaller shops in Anchorage and might be slightly biased.

Agree with Paul on this one. If Boondocks doesnt have it they offer to order it at a reasonable price.
    Couple of months ago I went in looking for some new Browning left and right hand T Bolts in 22 mag. Most dealers I talked to online didnt even want to order a lefty.
    In less than 2 weeks Boondocks had the righty and lefty ready for me to pick up and there price was less than if they were ordered online and paid for shipping.
    They are my go to store for anything I need and rarely disappoint.

As to the other place, havent had a bad experience with them in over 15 years because that was the last time I visited. Am guessing Boondocks good customer service has earned themself about $25K in gross sales, possibly even more from our family during the same time period. Along with a bunch of new customers I referred to them and we can see that employes with a nice smile and great customer service are who we give our business to

Still like visiting GNG's as well. Nice shop, good coffee, and a great place to browse or buy powder and some other components if Boondocks is out.

Where is Alaska Custom Firearms?
    Tennessee

Smile

I hope I did not start a S*** Storm with my experience and request? I definitely appreciate all the recommendations. Sounds like there may be a common theme here. I feel a lot better after reading others experiences and opinions. Thanks..

Default gun shop

Snowwolfe Alaska Custom Firearms. Call Aaron or Steve at (907) 349 GUNS or stop by their 8225 Old Seward Highway shop in South Anchorage.
    At the top of the page.

Default gun shops

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTR View Post
    Ken @ wild west guns is a fine loveing man.
    with a kind hart and plesent demeanor.

brian M.(FORM ADMIN) please don't BAN me!

YOU GUYS HAVE ME ROLLING!! I came to the same conclusion after a "Wild" experience with a "custom" rifle built locally. Kicked myself from week one. I'll spend my money elsewhere. In fact I was told: "I don't care if one more person walks through that door. I have plenty of business on the internet" Needless to say, I don't think customer service is high on their list. Neither is a quality product finished on time. I should have spent the extra $400 dollars and ordered one from Ultra Light Arms. I would have ended up with a far better product that would have actually been ready when they said it would have been. Guaranteed that it would have shot a hell of a lot better.

That was the last time I was there.

I also haven't been real impressed with the other shop mentioned. Apparently they are booked solid! Prepare to wait.

Default Different strokes for different folks

I've never had an issue with the "Wild" bunch. Just know that everybody is different. Bought a couple guns through them last summer and I can tell you they beat everybody's prices hands down. Never had a custom job from them but have had some smithing on a winchester of mine. Very happy with the results. Have a couple of other ones that I just picked up that need some work and they are gonna get the job. I know what everyone says about customer service and sometimes I think that people can be a little thin skinned. NOT SAYING THAT IS THE CASE HERE, just my experience. All the other shops that are mentioned have also treated me good, just better prices from the "Wild" ones. My two cents.

Glad Im not the only one to go sour on their "wild" experience. I was in disbelief the first time, so went back to confirm what I thought I had experienced.....yep, was right the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast