Thread: Kenai Canada's

Default Kenai Canada's

A few year's back the Canadian Goose migration through the Kenai area used to peak just about now (October 8) or in the next few days. The last couple year's I think it's been a week to 10 days later. Anyone seen, or heard and sign of migration yet?

I had a friend that saw plenty of geese on the other side of the inlet from Kenai last weekend.

I have been hunting ****** Lake the last couple weekends on the pennisula. A lot of ducks but no geese. I think the best hunting spot for geese right know would be my rooftop in Anchorage.

Default kenai geese

geese will be moving through kenai real soon I would say one more week or so but when they start you have to get on em quick because it happens fast. If the skies are clear they wont stop, if its cloudy and rainy they will spend the night and thats about it. Takes about 3 days then its over. Havent seen any big groups of ducks showing up yet, when you see the big groups of ducks the geese wont be far behind. Had a huge flock of snows fly over my house yesterday in soldotna.

I had a couple massive flocks of Candians fly over my place off K-Beach over 3 weeks ago (from northwest heading southeast). Perhaps they were early, but I haven't seen any at all in the last week.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Joat--This would be the "early flight" that you witnessed--likely bound for the Head of Kachemak Bay. I talked to a friend in Homer who was up on these flats about that time and said it was "loaded" with geese. Let's keep an eye out for the "late flight" and I agree with one of the other posts--you have a very narrow window of opportunity (and a lot of luck from the weather) if you are talking about the Kenai Flats.

Default The data shows

That there are still geese and ducks around. More ducks seem to be showing up in the last few days. As for both, I have seen them here well after it starts to ice up but you better be on em and know where to go.

Default Report From AOJ

The following is a recent report from the Alaska Outdoor Journal:

"With temperatures remaining in the upper 30's to upper 40's throughout the state its been a good season weather-wise but the birds have been hit and miss with some sparse days for all the effort. Moderate temperatures tend to slow the bird movement and allow them to lounge around and fatten up with little need to move on. But all that has changed now. The duck and goose migration is beginning to peak with snow geese, whitefront geese and Canada geese moving through (or more accurately OVER) the Kenai Peninsula since last Sunday. On Tuesday hundreds of widgeon, pintail, mallards and teal were crossing the Inlet from the west and piling into the Kasilof and Kenai rivers' wetlands and mud flats. Two very large flocks of snow geese passed over the Kenai Flats from the Kasilof direction on their way to Turnagain Arm to stage at Chickaloon Flats or move on over to the Copper River Delta before heading south."

Default Geese on the move

Saw 3 flocks of Canada's moving over the Kenai flats on Friday morning and then 4 larger flocks on Saturday afternoon and evening. All flying high and fast, although one group eventually set down. Anyone having any luck?

Default Friday

Friday evening I saw 8 flocks of about 50 geese each from Copper Creek campground on the Kasilof. Very very tall and just moving through.

We saw a total of 2 ducks during my weekends travels down on the KP last weekend.

Default Decent hunting

Decent goose hunting on the flats Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. By Monday, it was pretty much over. Time to head to the Sound...

Default Isn't it funny...

how the Migration of geese & caribou are similar? One week you can have Millions of birds/caribou, & the next week nothing!