Thread: Homemade Chest Holster

Default Homemade Chest Holster

This was my first year carrying a pistol on a float hunt for moose, and though I had purchased a Galco belt holster for my S&W 329PD, I realized (before leaving for the hunt) that wearing a belt holster while also wearing my backpack wasn't going to work as my backpack waist-belt covers my holster. So I scoured the web looking at shoulder holsters and the few chest holsters that have been mentioned on here. But I didn't find anything that seemed to have my .44 really accessible. So with a couple of heavy Zeiss 2" straps (one from a Zeiss camera bag and the other from a Zeiss tripod) I began fabricating a chest support system. Using a heavy sewing stitcher that I bought from Cabela's (I can't think of the name of it, but its the handiest heavy-duty stitcher ever!) and a piece of heavy leather that I cut and sewed together to stiffen the webbing where it goes through the belt loop of my Galco leather holster, I came up with chest system in the pictures. And it worked extremely well. The Zeiss straps have a couple of sticky seams on the back of them (something like silicone), so they didn't slide at all on my shoulder or body. And the Zeiss strap that I use to go around my torso had fairly large snap and loop ends that I could easily adjust for size when wearing different clothing, and the snap made it easy to put on/take off the rig. I was glad I had made the rig as we had a grizzly come running out at us on our first day of floating. The fabricated rig allowed me to easily pull the 329 though the grizzly stopped at the water's edge when I yelled at it. It stood-up, and then turned and ran. Had it decided to continue its charge the water was no more than a foot deep so things would have gotten interesting quickly as it stopped only 25 to 30 yards away. The end story was I didn't have to fire a shot (the first would have been a warning), but the chest rig worked excellent while floating, packing, and while dragging our raft through un-floatable water. It worked so well in fact that I have no reason to look for anything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look no further, this one will fit.
    http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFish View Post
    . . . things would have gotten interesting quickly as it stopped only 25 to 30 yards away. The end story was I didn't have to fire a shot (the first would have been a warning), but the chest rig worked excellent while floating, packing, and while dragging our raft through un-floatable water. It worked so well in fact that I have no reason to look for anything else.
    Congrats on the holster. Looks like you applied a little ingenuity and some quality components (Zeiss & Galco) to fabricate a useful system. Good work.

Let me make one observation though, be cautious firing a warning shot with a bear running from 25 yards. He may be on you before you get the second shot off. I appreciate your unwillingness to shoot a bear unnecessarily, but it is better to shoot and mean it when he starts coming your way.

Just make sure I'm not on your left.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I admire your ingenuity, but the gun and holster, does seem to hang out a little bit.

I'd prefer it closer to your chest.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default simplyrugged.com

Go to simplyrugged.com and get one of his adapters for your holster and one of his chest straps. Works like a charm.

Default Ditto on Simply Rugged

I have a redhawk .44 I am having cut down to 5" and will get a Sourdough holster and "Chesty Puller" harness system for carrying in front. Rob Leahy makes great gear and they work! www.simplyrugged.com.

If this holster works for you, I have no problems with it. Great sign of American inginuity and I have to admit, one hell of a lot cheaper than any I've seen on the open market. Congrats.
    Steve