Thread: Abu Garcia Ambassador C3 5500?

Default Abu Garcia Ambassador C3 5500?

Anyone use this for Salmon/Steel head? It's got a nice price range at $80. How does it cast light spinners (≥ 3/16oz) on 12lb line? And if it don't, anyone wanna advise one that does?

Thanks a lot!

Kickass real. Ive used the C3 line on a Lamgiglas Med/Heavy for several years. Works great for trolling as well, I've picked an 80lb halibut trolling off Anchor Point for Kings with it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Well, being the bonafide Ambassadeur slut that I am, I suppose I'll say a few words.

I've owned quite a few from the 5000 thru the 10000 series. There are better reels these days, but being a Scandahoovian, I'm a sucker for Svensk fishing gear. It's also a plus that I can tear down and rebuild any of them blindfolded and drunk.

This particular gem (IIRC it's a 5000 series) is no longer in service It was a direct drive (Knuckle-buster) hook setting machine!!!

Anyhoo, as long as Kings or 20# silvers aren't on the menu, the 5500 is a good reel and 12# is what I run on mine. I usually pitch 1/2 oz kroc's with mine.

You should be able to score clean, used ones on eBay for ~ $50.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Kickass real. Ive used the C3 line on a Lamgiglas Med/Heavy for several years. Works great for trolling as well, I've picked an 80lb halibut trolling off Anchor Point for Kings with it.
    Wow! Huge halibut for such a small reel!

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Well, being the bonafide Ambassadeur slut that I am, I suppose I'll say a few words.

I've owned quite a few from the 5000 thru the 10000 series. There are better reels these days, but being a Scandahoovian, I'm a sucker for Svensk fishing gear. It's also a plus that I can tear down and rebuild any of them blindfolded and drunk.

This particular gem (IIRC it's a 5000 series) is no longer in service It was a direct drive (Knuckle-buster) hook setting machine!!!

Anyhoo, as long as Kings or 20# silvers aren't on the menu, the 5500 is a good reel and 12# is what I run on mine. I usually pitch 1/2 oz kroc's with mine.

You should be able to score clean, used ones on eBay for ~ $50.
    Cool, thanks for the post! 1/2 kroc spoon eh? Catch many on 'em?

Also, do ya'll think I can get away using a 7' - 7'6" rod, or will I have to go to 8' +?

Quote Originally Posted by Florida.boy View Post
    Wow! Huge halibut for such a small reel!
    Also, do ya'll think I can get away using a 7' - 7'6" rod, or will I have to go to 8' +?
    7-9 would be fine, action pending. I do like the internal drag thats adjustable per setup. Let me double check, Mine might be bigger than the 5000, but a C3 nonetheless. I wasnt expecting an 80lb 'but, but it did the trick.

I also use it very frequently jiggin for black bass - tons of fun.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    7-9 would be fine, action pending. I do like the internal drag thats adjustable per setup. Let me double check, Mine might be bigger than the 5000, but a C3 nonetheless. I wasnt expecting an 80lb 'but, but it did the trick.

I also use it very frequently jiggin for black bass - tons of fun.
    Med Heavy/fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Florida.boy View Post
    Anyone use this for Salmon/Steel head? It's got a nice price range at $80. How does it cast light spinners (≥ 3/16oz) on 12lb line? And if it don't, anyone wanna advise one that does?

Thanks a lot!
    That's a pretty small amount of weight for that reel. 3/8 oz is where they start to run pretty happily, at least in my experience when using them for Largemouth. As for handling Steelhead and Salmon - no problem whatsoever. Folks down here use them all the time for Kings. See if Alan Tani has done a rebuild article on one (google is your friend), and if so, follow it to the letter, especially when it comes to greasing the drags and lubing the bearings.

Regards,
    Scott

P.S. I found an article for you:

http://www.westernangler.com.au/foru..._102326/tm.htm

P.P.S - just saw where Alan was mentioning using Penn drag washers. No need to any longer, as the latest C3's come with carbon drag washers, stock.

Installation of carbon fiber drag washers from Smoooothdrag greased with Cal's drag grease really wakes up an Abu. You end up with drag performance and smoothness that's unmatched.

Default Abu Garcia

Hope you can pick it out on this pic, was a 6500 with New 17# test Red Cajon Line on a Kenai Special Lamiglass, Halibut ended up @ 140#, you can see the $4 walmart lure too. Took 2-1/2 hours to work this thing up from 120' of water in the PWS out of Whittier.
    So they must be good reels, I don't do much to the two I got and they still work fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images