Thread: How many hours are to many?

Default How many hours are to many?

I'm looking at buying a used 1990 22 ft sea sport coho in good condition with a Volvo Penta 570 inboard engine and a Volvo DP-A2 Duo prop outdrive. Current owner says it has 2000 hrs on engine. What do you think - asking price is 22K. thanks.

personally i think that is a lot of hours. boats are usually ran in higher rpms than a car, but cars can have alot more hours than that on them. It all depends on what he's done, how regularly the maintanence was, etc... I've see guys do rebuilds at 1000 hours.. Have you checked NADA.com for a price on the boat?? It is like the Kelly Blue Book for that kinda stuff.

Default If it has

Good compression and oil pressure at warm idle (10psi+), the engine is still strong. I wouldn't know what to look for on the outdrive.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thumbs up Buy it!

I have a 1991 Sea Sport with almost 1400 hrs. Had it compression tested three weeks ago, a few of the cylinders were not in their youth that's for sure. Those Chevy's will run on two or three cylinders, they are just that strong. Drain the oil from the outdrive, check for water intrusion, put 10w-40 back in if it's a Volvo and she'll last forever. Check the belows for age/cracks and last time they were changed. Replace the risers and manifolds, or at least pull them and check for rust. If she runs and looks decent anything in the 20k range is right on the money! (Look at Boondocks used Sea Sport website for something to compare it to.)

Default Not on NADA or KELLY BOOK

Sea Sport is considered a semi-custom builder and the oldest fiberglass boat maker in the US. They are not listed in the NADA or Kelly Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I have a 1991 Sea Sport with almost 1400 hrs. Had it compression tested three weeks ago, a few of the cylinders were not in their youth that's for sure. Those Chevy's will run on two or three cylinders, they are just that strong. Drain the oil from the outdrive, check for water intrusion, put 10w-40 back in if it's a Volvo and she'll last forever. Check the belows for age/cracks and last time they were changed. Replace the risers and manifolds, or at least pull them and check for rust. If she runs and looks decent anything in the 20k range is right on the money! (Look at Boondocks used Sea Sport website for something to compare it to.)
    Did you figure out the cause of your low fuel mileage? I see that you had your engine tested.

Four barrel carb and not a very fresh one, to many accessories like the racks, cover, anchor stuff, basicly accessory over load. Oddie's Marine has a nice new engine package that they have been installing for their customers, it's supposedly helping the gas mileage for them quite a bit.

I do not necessarily agree that boats run at higher RPMs than road vehicles. Cars/trucks spike higher and have more variation in the revs. No doubt boats run at a higher load and higher sustained steady revs than most vehicles though. For comparison I like to compare boat hours to vehicle miles to wrap my head about what is relative in terms of wear and tear. For example my truck has about 1600 hours and about 56,000 miles or about 35 miles per hour of operation. If my truck had 100,000 miles it would have about 2860 hours.

Default red and white?

If so I'm pretty sure I saw it in Homer this summer. The owner and I compared notes, and he was talking about getting a bigger boat and selling. It looked like a great deal for 22 grand. For what it's worth the owner was very happy w/ the boat, and really talked it up.
    My seasport's 350 had 1005 hrs when I bought it, and recently died with 1120 hrs. I still think Myers hit it right on in post 4 below, though I after my own experiance would be sure to take it in to a mech. for a professional opinion before a purchase.

You generally see these boats with fewer hours for $25k - $30k, so this one is not out of line.

Default Seasport

I generally have the same boat, and simply agree with the postings with the addition that those outdrives are pretty bomb proof. I put a 290 outdrive on mine with a SS prop which made a huge difference in mileage and speed. Even if the engine goes bad in a couple years, refits are generally cheap comparitively speaking. Super solid boat and about the best deal going for the $$. Enjoy.