Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 or Winchester 70 classic

Default Rem 700 or Winchester 70 classic

Hi All, I'm about to buy my first rifle in 30 06 caliber and can't decide between these two. First I decided on Rem 700 but after some research on this site I found out about trigger problems (freezing during hunting in moist and cold wheather) that some people having with this rifle. My main purpose is hunting and some target shooting. I've learned that Winchester model 70 had some quality issues between 1965 and 2006, but the new generation is supposed to be better.

I know that they have different actions and some think that CRF is better. I don't have any previous experience with rifles so can't really decide based on the acton alone. The important qualities I'm looking for are: accuracy out of the box, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I held them both at a gun store and liked the Winchester's stock slightly better, it's not as skinny as Rem 700's (but that's a minor difference). I also liked shorter barrel (22") of Winchester over 24" for Remington. Not sure if that's important though.

Any advice?

Be that rifleman that supported Winchester's limited return. One of our country's most influential gun companies fell to the wayside, supporting their return may spark more development and models brought back.

Of the models currently in production, I would probably lean toward the Winchester. Either brand will likely be just fine, but I don't particularly like the current Remingtons, except the Ti, which is expensive. Just not my style. I like the Winchester Featherweight or their stainless model. Both of those models seem like solid, no nonsense rifles.

I am guilty of bashing Remingtons because of the trigger that freezes up. But I will be the first to admit I never had this problem when living in the lower 48 or moose hunting up here. The freeze up was only when we went deer hunting on Kodiak and it happened to every Remington I owned and my son's as well.
    To be fair, I may of contributed to the problem because I adjusted the triggers to be very crisp and light, but safe. My thoughts are since the clearances were reduced when water entered and froze it only made things worse. The freezing rain and snow entering the action caused the problems. The enclosed trigger design doesnt help anything either.

That being said since I switched to mostly Win 70's and Rugers I never suffered freeze up again when Kodiak hunting. I LOVE the older style W70 trigger system and feel it is the most bullet proof designed trigger ever built that can also be adjusted to be light and crisp.

CRF vs Pushfeed? In the long run I doubt it matters. But ya gotta love that crf ejector that kicks out the brass about 10 feet!

Have you looked at the Ruger? You can find one for about $650 in stainless. And this includes rings and a bullet proof scope mounting system.
    Tennessee

You can also pick up a Weatherby Vanguard (not stainless) in 30-06 for about $404:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=142591108

Yes, I have looked at the Ruger ditn't like the way it felt in my hands. Nothing against Ruger (I have a 44 mag Redhawk that I really like) but the rifle just didn't fit right.

Snowwolfe (and others): how do you like the newer Winchester Model 70? I've read that they changed the trigger starting in 2007 (I believe) from the older models, hopefully improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post

Have you looked at the Ruger? You can find one for about $650 in stainless. And this includes rings and a bullet proof scope mounting system.

Thanks for the link, MarineHawk, but I live in Alaska and I'm pretty much set for the stainless steel barrel.

Any gun dealer/smiths reading this post: what's your opinion on reliability of Rem 700 and newer Winchester model 70? do you see any returns due to quality issues or problems? How is the customer service from these companies?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    You can also pick up a Weatherby Vanguard (not stainless) in 30-06 for about $404:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=142591108

Hated they changed the trigger as that was the reason I purchased the Win 70 to begin with.

Seeing how the factory is now lazy and have not yet made any of the new models in left handed I have no real world experience with the current design. Feedback I have heard says the new trigger is really nice to shoot but time will tell how durable it is.
    Tennessee

Buy which ever you like better. I like both remingtons and winchesters. I have a large collection of model 70s and think that the newly FN manufactured model 70s are some of the best shooting I have ever owned. I like the new trigger. The fit an finish on the new model 70s is superb. Mine have been able to easily shoot 1 MOA with factory ammo.

I just came from a gun store and was pointed to Browning X-bolt model, which I somehow missed in my previous research. They were sold out for 30 06 caliber, but 270 that I tried felt really good, nice synthetic stock and pretty light weight rifle. Any thought on the Browning? Good, bad, and the ugly?

Browning = good. No experience with the X-bolt, but every Browning I have owned has been a great shooter and seem a little higher quality than a typical Remington or Winchester. Seem a little more expensive too.

I have Remingtons and old Winchesters and like them both. If you want to save a few bucks and possibly get a more accurate rifle check out the Savage. I've had several in the past and they are great shooters.

I would go with the M70. Ive owned just about every comercial bolt action, now just own 4 M70s. The new M70 is probably the most complete out of the box rifle. They are accurate and can de disassembled in the field with no tools. The old trigger was great when tuned by someone who knew what they were doing. It was very simple and reliable. The new trigger needs nothing out of the box, but only time will tell if it is as reliable.

The only Browning I would consider would be an older FN High Power.

Default both accurate, Win a smiggin better

I like both rifles but believe the Win M70 to be a bit better overall than the Rem 700. The Rem 700 is perfect for sitting and waiting for game bu tthe M70 has the three position safety, the CRF, and is now very well made. I own a M70, it shoots like a dream! Very dependable and very accurate.

I own a rem 700 and a M70 clone. I hunt with the M70 style almost exclusively. Here's why.

The 3 pos safety is the biggest benefit to the M70 over the M700. The fact that the bolt doesn't lock down when the safety is on pretty much takes the m700 out of the running as a good hunting rifle in my book. When I used to hunt with the m700, at least once a day I would find that the bolt had been knocked partially open by a tree branch, or brush. This can be fixed though as there aftermarket safeties that can be installed on the m700. I also think the wing safety on the m70 is easier to disengage quickly while under stress.

CRF, I hunted with the m700 for about 5 years before I got the M70. To be honest, I can't think of any situations where CRF would have made a differance, but some claim otherwise. The M70 is easier to disasemble in the field and the design just seems more rubust to me as well.

Never had any issues with the trigger freezing in either, but I would be curious to know how widespread the issue is.

On the other hand the M700 is known for great accuracy and more competition shooters choose the Remington over the Winchester. Although my M700 is more accurate, both guns are more that capable of reliably putting lead in the vitals at ranges beyond what I would feel comfortable shooting at game.

I also find the large bolt handle on the M70 easier to manipulate quickly in a hunting situation. Of course you could always get an aftermarket bolt handle on the M700.

So I guess my vote would be for the M70, unless you hunt in a treestand in which case you could go either way. If you could go either way.

I think the M700 is a great platform, but I would change out the saftety and bolt handle on it. On the other hand, the M70 is almost perfect the way it is. The only small fault I can find is that the safety is a bit loud and stiff on a new gun.

I have a new Model 70 in 300 Win. It's a beautiful rifle that balances well considering it has a 26" barrel. The fit and finish is pretty good and the trigger is okay for a factory trigger. I think they could have made it a lot simpler though. Instead of 2 adjustment screws they could have gone with one but that's just me. The action is silky smooth and the stocks are nice. All in all it's a nice shooting rifle.

I have a few Remingtons and a few Winchesters. Both are nice rifles but I waited for Winchester to get back on line to pick up another 300 from them.

Default Winchester and Browning

Thanks to all for your replies!
    Based on the replies, it sounds like both of these (and others) are good rifles.

I've read somewhere on this forum that both Winchester and Browning are owned by the same company (FN ?). And it looks like their rifles are priced very similarly. Does that mean that they are about the same quality and are they made at the same factory?

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    Thanks to all for your replies!
    Based on the replies, it sounds like both of these (and others) are good rifles.

I've read somewhere on this forum that both Winchester and Browning are owned by the same company (FN ?). And it looks like their rifles are priced very similarly. Does that mean that they are about the same quality and are they made at the same factory?
    The Winchester 70s are now made at FN/USA's DOD contracting plant in, I think, Virginia. I don't think any other non DOD guns are made there since the sign above the door only listed FN/USA and Winchester when I saw it on TV. The 70 is the only Winchester made in the States now, looks like a very well made bolt gun, and would be my pick.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The Winchester 70s are now made at FN/USA's DOD contracting plant in, I think, Virginia. I don't think the Remington is made there since the sign above the door only listed FN and Winchester when I saw it on TV. The 70 is the only Winchester made in the States now.
    FN winchesters are made in South Carolina.

You are correct, Remington has nothing to do with the Browning, Winchester, and FN group.

Default Model 70 +1

For all the reasons everyone else has already stated.

CRF stainless will be my next new rifle doesn't matter if it's pre or post FN manufacture.

3 position safety and field strippable bolt are huge selling points.

And like already stated -- nothing wrong with the 700's.. but they just ain't for me.

Barrel length?? I'd stick to the 22 incher. Might get a bit more velocity from the longer barrel, but an animal isn't going to notice the difference of 50 fps when a 180 grainer hits him in the ribs. Longer barrel = more chances to hang up on "stuff".

Currently I own and shoot 2 push feed Model 70's. I won't admit how many rounds they have spit out anymore . Nothing but confidence with them and will continue to carry them. Hopefully I'll pass them on to my 1 y/o grandson down the road.

Not a fan of the Brownings. No particular reason, never had one, never shot one. They don't fit me, and personally I can't stand the finish they put on their wood.

short answer.... My money sits on the Winchester.

The Browning A-Bolt is made in Miroku Japan. Not sure where the X-bolt is made, but I think I saw a guy on Star Trek toting a laser that had a similiar stock. Kidding of'course. Things I dont like about new Browning's, 60 deg bolt throw feels awkward and I dont like box magazines (just something to loose).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast