Thread: moose bullets

Question moose bullets

I recently purchased (by mistake) a box of 300 gr hornady solids for my .375 and was wondering if they were any good for moose?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Hmmmm… rampaging African killer attack moose maybe?!

I would suspect that you will get complete penetration on a moose from any angle with that bullet, and that you might be better served with some sort of expanding bullet.

If it were me, I would exchange them if I could. If not, then save them for your next safari, or you could load them up incase you ever need to stop a run-away dump truck or buss…..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by minaki_mike View Post
    I recently purchased (by mistake) a box of 300 gr hornady solids for my .375 and was wondering if they were any good for moose?
    They will certainly kill moose, but there are much more efficient choices than solids. I would prefer any expanding 300 grain bullet to a solid for moose or any other NA big game.

I like solids on large animals! Load them up, use them for practice and if you have any left know they have the ability to allow you to take any shot when you see that big moose!

Whether it be a front brisket shot or a Texas heart shot you can reach the vitals if your aim is good.

Some people tote about non expanding hard cast bullets in a handgun all day long then dis using solids in a rifle. Certaintly they will not cause as much soft tissue damage as a soft point but they are still a deadly effectiveness when used properly.
    Tennessee

Never having actually shot a moose, Ihave no direct experience, by I would assume that a 300-gr .375 solid would be less idea for moose than a 270 or 300-gr modestly expanding bullet. But, would a 300-gr .375 H&H solid still not be better on moose than the majority of the 30-caliber-and-smaller cartidges used to hunt moose?

They'll work but you can do better... In the early days of smokeless powder many folks distrusted any expanding bullet. In fact Bell remarked his .257 Rigby was never "polluted" by an expanding bullet down the barrel.

You can get complete shoot throughs from any angle with that bullet and they'll certainly kill but I'd use something else if I could. A 300gr expanding round nose is a good choice.

Well, consider first, that very bullet is used routinely to kill cape buffalo every year, many of them. I've seen it used for buffalo and Eland, which is larger than a moose, and for several large antelope species. Many PH's still want their clients to use solids only on cape buffalo. The reason being that penetration is of utmost importance. Personally I prefer one of the tougher expanding bullets but also prefer a forty caliber or larger gun for buffalo.

I think there are better choices for moose but would expect good performance from the solids if well placed. They should be able to get to the vitals from any angle. If you could find a box of the Hornady soft points in the same configuration you could use the solids for load development and just do final sight in with the soft points.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?