Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 09 Brown Bear

Default 09 Brown Bear

After the labors of fleshing, salting, and processing I'd like to share this great bear with you. I won't say his size. I didn't tape him. I won't get his skull measurement until next Tuesday when I seal him. The fact I was able to hunt a great animal in a great state is reason enough to share.

I got an offer to head back into a local salmon stream for Coho with a friend. This was to be a fishing trip but I told him about a "hot bear tag" in my pocket so we should leave prior to first light to have a chance at seeing a bruin on the beach. So I loaded up everything I need for hunting bear in my trusty pack, threw together some fishing stuff and pushed out the door. We ran the boat for a bit and just as we were getting ready to stop I see a nice bear on the beach. He immediatly hit the deck and layed very, very low. My partner couldn't even see him but I knew he was there and quickly gathered my rifle and binos. We motored quietly to the beach at some distance and I was dropped off by myself and my trusty 25-06 loaded with a hand rolled 120g Nosler. It was on!
    The morning was so picture perfect for a bear stalk. Calm. I could hear nothing, yet everything. The wind betrayed nothing. I leaped from solid rock to solid rock to keep the crunch factor to a minimum. The stalk was perfect and I closed the gap to less than 100yrds and had the upper hand by about 10 feet. The observation post was in a clump of trees and I took a prone posistion and watched my quarry. The moment of truth; everything happens so very quickly in these moments. I first looked the bear over very closely to identify sex, coat and size with my 12x binos. Check, Check, and a maybe. The Bear lifted his head and scented something and my sinario quickly took on a whole new urgency. He was on the move and questioning the safety of his beach retreat. I made the quick decision to seal the deal, steadied my rifle and sent destiny.

The shot rang true at a distance most anyone can shoot well at. He roared to life and plowed into the trees. My racing heart took some time to settle. No charge, no world war three shooting session, It was just one well placed shot and done.

I looked to the boat and my friends eyes could be seen a mile away. Everyone was in amazement.

We gathered our stuff and gave the bear a little time and started the recovery. The moment was tense heading into the rainforest after the bear. My friend said I should'nt be going in there. I knew what I had to do and had an obligation to fullfill. I nosed into the brush and that bear didn't go 10 yrds from where he was shot. A perfect chest and heart shot.

This completes a super season for me. I've been very blessed in so many regards. The conservation efforts and land management strategies of Alaska have helped me experience the reality of being a hunter. I'm not saying they are perfect but for me, this year, they were. Thank you to all my online friends. Its been fun sharing the adventure and privlege of being an Alaskan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Great

Fantastic bear and a great story. This is one of the joys of being on this forum. I felt like I was right there looking over your shoulder. Great stalk and shot. Thanks alot. Many more!! Mark

Nice story and great finish. I'll guess 8'-2".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thats it.....

i am learning taxidermy and moving in next door to bighorse....

all my bills would be paid this year...

i am going to guess 7'10 horse... sorry he just dont appear a large as my 8... i will put your skull measurement ~20-21 7/8

funny thing is my 8 at 25 3/16 they origannly guessed at 25...

the bio wrote me the other day that he was .....

7 ??? wow and with the tooth damage he already had i have to have him review that again to make sure he didn't typo
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As always well done and congrats and a fine hunt

Great write up and another great trophy! I love the those dark chocolate bears. You have had one heck of a season. Thanks for sharing.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default one day...

I will have a season like that. My goal for next year is sheep, bear, wolf, caribou (in that order). I will be ECSTATIC if I get either of the first two. I will also be happy if I get either of the last two.

Congratulations!!!! Great story Bighorse! I'm worried about you though following up brown bears with a .25-06! Next time I'll let you borrow my .375!!!!

Brett

Default I could throw a guess at `

size, but it doesn't matter. It is your bear, you decided it was the one, and you made a great stalk and shot! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! It is a beautiful chocolate brown bear! Congrats!

Default Congrats

That bear looks great, it sure is purdy.

Congrats Horse, you've had one heck of a season!! All your preparation, hard work, and positive attitude have produced results and moments that you'll remember for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Default Congrats

Excellent hunt, great write-up and beautiful trophy. Great season for you--congrats!

Smile

Congrats, nice looking bear! Now we can add 25-06 to the list of appropriate bear rifles. I took a black with my .223, but not sure I could do what you did!

Quite the season. What is it you do for a living............coast guard, or something like that??
    Whatever it is, quit! Your future is in writing.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice bear and story - thanks.

Interesting writing.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nice rich color to his coat, guessing mid-high 7 foot bear you got there. Well done.

Thumbs up

That is one good looking brownie love his dark coat! Wish you the best of luck on any other hunting pursuits you have this season!

Great story. Way to go with the 25-06. Goes to show that shot placement still trumps bullet weight. Nice looking chocolate coat. I'd love to get a brownie like that.

Stop it! You're KILLING me! Stop it!

Congrat's!

Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast