Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Leatherman do you like??

Default Which Leatherman do you like??

I received an el'cheapo a few years back as a gift and have used the snot out of it. I would now like to upgrade to a better Leatherman/Gerber. The cheapo I had was not very uncomfortable in my hand, it was difficult to open/operate with one hand and it was limited to a knife, pliers, file and screw driver. Some that I've put my hands on have more tools than a Snap-on dealer and I don't care for that extra weight. What tools do you like best/use most? There are so many out there to choose from, just wondering what your favorite pick is. Not partial to any make, just want it to last a long time.
    Thanks, Joshua

I have had many multitools, some broken and some lost. My preferred brand is Leatherman, plain and simple. I have 2 favorite models, the Wave and the Micro.

The Wave is the most comfortable when using the pliers (doesn't cut into your hand), has locking blades and the necessary tools. I have broken a couple of blades and the plier tips but that was out of abuse not tool quality.

The Micro is one of the handiest for wearing on a fly vest or in the pocket. Instead of pliers you get scissors. They are small, light and very handy when making lures, tying knots etc.

I have so many Leatherman tools I should have taken stock in them along time ago, lol. A close second imo to the Wave is the Blaster. Pretty much the same tools, similar design but has a touch of plastic which has held up well so far.

Default my Leatherman...

is a black anodized pst II. Its been most everywhere and its the only black one I've seen.
    I had a stainless one for years but it developed legs when some kids were around my boat...grrrrr.

I like the wave most, but not the price.

I have had several multi-tools in the past. The one I use most is my Gerber. I have had this one for several years. I like being able to open the pliers feature one-handed. It fits my hand well and is not too heavy. It has plenty of other tools, but generally not as many as a Leatherman. IMHO if it had scissors it would be perfect. I also have a Leatherman Wave and like it alot, but i am usually wearing my Gerber.

Out of the multi tools I have used the Gerber multi tool is near and dear to me. I have fallen in love with the ability to engage and handle the pliers with one hand. There is a higher chance of pinching the palm of the hand between the two main handles but this has happened to me very few times in the past 10 years or so.

The original leatherman is super nice but I hate the cumbersome process of gaining access to the pliers.

I too like the Gerber the best. The principle reason is the locking feature for the blades. The Leatherman I have, to unlock the blade you are using you have to pull another half way out, then you can fold both back into the handle. The Gerber has a locking slide that is much easier to use. If Leatherman has changed anything, I'm not aware of it. So my Gerber always goes with me and the Leatherman stays home. Both the Gerber and the Leatherman have solved the problem of getting your hand pinched in the handle while using the plieers, that was a good thing.

Last night, I was looking at my knife and pocket tool collection. I own at least 15 different pocket tools including Gerber, Schrade, Wenger and some others that I can't name. I stash a tool wherever it is likely to be needed. Tackle box, glove compartment, computer bag, hunting backpack, scouting pack, wife's vehicle, etc.

I don't own any Leatherman brand tools. Nothing against Leatherman, but whenever I search for a new tool, others seem to be more useful to me and I don't like the Leatherman sheaths.

By far, the most useful and dependable tool that I own is the Schrade Tough Tool.
    http://www.botac.com/schrade1.html

It is more useful because due to the 90-degree design of the knife and tool location, you can have the screw driver out and available while using the pliers. With other models, the tools are interior to the handle and you need to close the pliers to get the screwdriver or knife. The attached link will better explain what I mean.

I also like the heavy duty leather sheath from Schrade while most manufacturers (including Gerber) have moved to nylon. To give you an idea of how I feel about this tool, I own five of them and wherever I go, one of them is close at hand.

I have owned my Gerber tool since 1990. It is a good tool, but not as good as Schrade. Occasionally, the set screws in the side will loosen and I will use a hex head wrench to tighten them. You don't want that to happen on a hunting trip. The Schrade uses permanent rivets that never need tightening. The Gerber will pinch my hand while I'm using the pliers and they don't cut wire nearly as well as the Schrade. The Schrade is designed so it will never pinch your hand. The one-hand opening of the Gerber pliers is a nice feature, but really is more of a gimmick given the inferior nature of its design compared to Schrade. I can easliy open the Schrade pliers with one hand using pressure against the outside of my leg.

I keep the Gerber in my briefcase for lighter duty and use the Schrade for hunting and heavier duty work.

Two tools I always have on a hunting trip: my Schrade Tough Tool for heavy and dirty work and my Wenger Swiss Army knife for clean work like cutting and preparing food, removing splinters, etc.
    Last edited by WinMag_300; 12-04-2006 at 10:00.

I have quite q collection of UPTs and my vote is for the "Wave". Otherwise I'd have to vote for the Vic. SwissTool.
    Dan

Default Wave

I also like the wave it has enough tools do get by and therefore is not to big.

Default The Wave

is my most recent and favorite multitool to date. I've had the crunch, but it only had the serrated blade and minimal tools. i did like the locking pliars for various jobs though. The wave has performed beautifully for me and I have no complaints when it comes to how it feels in my hand. The locking mechanisms have never failed and are much easier than the original mechanisms. I friend has the optional tools which are nice, but I don't have them. I would be open to trying other brands: Gerber, Schrade, Buck etc, but don't plan on purchasing one of those until I lose the good ole' wave. One last thing-I love the guarrantee and customer service with the Leatherman Co.

another vote for the wave. i have busted the blades and pliers a few times, and always had to send it to the manufacturer for repair. wally world will not 'trade' busted ones out for new ones. (mad)

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I live on the water and hunt year round, I use it as my tool for using my tender to shore, my skinning knife and gutting knife, and for any minor repairs/chores onboard the main boat, it great!

Another vote for the leatherman wave, I've had mine for about 10 years and it has a good combination of enough tools but not too bulky. I also have an older original leatherman, and the wave is a vast improvement due to locking blades and the rounded grip when using the pliers.

Wave for me too. I like having the drop point blade and the serrated sheeps foot blade on the outside and easy to get to.

I got mine on sale and a free Micra with it!

I had the Gerber forever and liked it just fine. I lost it so started carrying the Wave and like that too. I was fond of the one hand operation with the Gerber. It's funny how once you carry a multitool you never leave home without it.

The original leatherman is still my favorite.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    The original Leatherman is still my favorite.
    Me too

I have a older Wave and a newer 2004 model and while they are a little better than the original PST I find them to be too heavy in my pocket. If you wear a belt and sheath then the Wave is the way to go but in your pocket the original PST is much better. The Wave weighs 8.5 ounces and the original only weighs 5 ounces. That 3.5 ounces drags your britches down more than you would think. I have the bit set for the Wave and use it from time to time but the PST is my everyday tool. I also have a Super Tool (9 ounces, way too heavy), PST II(scissors not needed), Pulse(Wave is better)and a Micra(too small).

Default Leatherman

Wave Leatherman!

Default SOG

I was issued a SOG on my last deployment, its the greatest thing I've ever had

Default Gerber

I've had a Gerber, SOG, and Leatherman. My favorite is the Gerber. I have a smaller one with scissors which is great for fishing. I have a larger Gerber that is even better for releasing salmon without getting them out of the water. The SOG was better than the Leatherman just due to comfort. But the best is the Gerbers. IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast