Thread: Black bear

Default Black bear

Howdy all, I'm 18 and leave for basic in just under two weeks. I've lived in this beautiful state for two years and have yet to take a bear. Well a couple weeks ago I went out and got a .300 winmag and am trying to get me one before I leave. Unfortunately I'm limited to where I can get to on foot and that only makes it harder.

Where are my chances the best? last weekend me and my dad drove down palmer creak road out in hope and tried to stalk a bear but those mountains are a little rough and after 2 hours of hiking uphill we got a little stuck in the thickets.

Any and all ideas are appreciated and if I get one I promise lots of pics haha, thanks for everything yall.

If you have a four wheeler go to Jim Creek and drive up towards Friday Creek spot and stalk the hill sides alot of bear in that area. Thanks for serving our nation what branch are you going into I was in the Air Force.

You might try Johnson Pass Trail. It's between Burtha Creek and the Hope cut-off and comes out by trail lakes near Moose Pass. Its a mountain bike trail so it is an easy hike. You shouldnt have to hike or bike more than 5 miles in. Lots of blackies (and goats by permit) in there...good luck and thanks for your commitment to freedom.

Look along the Seward Highway between Falls Creek and Girdwood, plenty of black bears along that stretch. Just make sure you are at least a 1/2 mile from the highway before you shoot. Good luck and thank you for your future service to this country!

Snug Harbor Rd in Cooper Landing. Just cross over the Kenai River bridge at the end of Kenai Lake and turn left. The bears will be high on the hill side but there is a plentiful supply. Glass along the hills from the road and be ready to climb. If you have a boat motor along Cooper Lake or even Kenai Lake, but Kenai Lake can get pretty "nautical" at times

Default Russian river lakes trail

Russian river lakes trail starting at the Russian river camp grounds. Hike back to lower Russian river lake and start glassing from there. Plenty of blackies back in there and I've seen over a dozen on the hillside at the far end of lower lake. Easy hike in or mountain bike ride. Good luck to ya.

Default Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyFisher View Post
    Howdy all, I'm 18 and leave for basic in just under two weeks. I've lived in this beautiful state for two years and have yet to take a bear. Well a couple weeks ago I went out and got a .300 winmag and am trying to get me one before I leave. Unfortunately I'm limited to where I can get to on foot and that only makes it harder.

Where are my chances the best? last weekend me and my dad drove down palmer creak road out in hope and tried to stalk a bear but those mountains are a little rough and after 2 hours of hiking uphill we got a little stuck in the thickets.

Any and all ideas are appreciated and if I get one I promise lots of pics haha, thanks for everything yall.

In hunting and your military career. I know it wasn't what your looking for, but just the same, good luck.

Will

Thanks guys for everything. No need to thank me for future Military service, I'm just doing what I've always dreamed of. I've heard a couple of things about snug harbor road, I'm gonna try that out. Again I appreciate all the comments, you guys are the reason I love Alaska, nicest people in the world. Aslong as you don't cross there line with a fish on