Thread: Brand New Water Fowl Hunter (maybe)

Default Brand New Water Fowl Hunter (maybe)

Hello everyone! I am a brand spanking new water fowl hunter and had my first hunt about two weeks ago. I live in Anchorage and I have NO clue where I should go and looking for advice/suggestions. I'm also interested in some small game including upland birds. Any and all help is really appreciated.

TGY

Most of the areas around Anch you either need a boat to access or you need to do a lot of walking. There is not much with local road access. You might try driving to Portage area and you can walk out from the old RR terminal along the levies and do some jump shooting or even throw out some deks in some areas. Reflection lake by the Knick you can park and walk into and maybe see a few birds but I don't think that ever gets hot. PM me if you like, I can always find room for somebody but no guarentees on birds, and in a a week or so it could freeze up tight and our local birds will be gone for the season. Bud

Let the stress and frustrations begin....just joking I enjoy waterfowl hunting and hope you get the same satisfaction. I am new to duck hunting in Anchorage a find my self travelling a couple hours to find good hunting.

Thanks guys, I have gone once and had a good time. Those ducks were worth a lot since there was quite a bit of work for them. I did have a good time and hoping to further enjoy other small game.
    I guess the biggest dilemma is knowing where to go. The regs show guidelines and restrictions for areas but I wish there was a list that told you where to go. Before I get flamed for that comment please understand I grew up in major cities and the closest I got to hunting was throwing rocks at pigeons. I've been here 12 years now and should have started his stuff awhile back.
    I am no against going out of town and would prefer going up near Willow if possible.

TGY

Default Try the Softball fields...

Of Russian Jack Springs Park...

Search these forums and you will have all the info you need about where around Anchorage to go duck hunting.

Where is the easiest part of the question.