Thread: safety frozen

Default safety frozen

I have recently received a pre 64 model 70 and am looking for some info. The gun seems to function properly, i.e. cycle the bolt, it cocks and when you pull the trigger it releases. However the one problem that I see is that when the gun is cocked the safety will not engage. And by this I mean that the wing is frozen in the fire position, it will not move. Any ideas as to what would cause this and how big a fix it might be. Want to get it to a smith but have to get the time off and want a little info on how much it may run for a fix. Thanks in advance

Plunger problem. Need gunsmith

Gun is crapped out. Might as well sell it to me as scrap for, lets say $100? I'm being generous here.

Make sure the bolt shroud is screwed in all the way, if it is, then possibly someone has altered trigger components and the firing pin has run too far forward preventing the safety from engaging in its cut in the FP. To test this, make sure its empty, cock it, then press forward on the handle and lift it slightly while trying to engage the safety. If you can get it to operate in this manner, then it requires minor refitting, about a 30 minute job. Might just need a good cleaning. But a closer examination would tell the story. Couple different possibilities here.

Default I agree with him.

but I'll give ya $101 for it.

Seriously, it shouldn't be that big of deal to get the bug out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    Gun is crapped out. Might as well sell it to me as scrap for, lets say $100? I'm being generous here.

Default making money

Thanks for the advice and the offers. I'll keep you both in mind if I decide to let it go. Those are both pretty good offers. I can't believe that you guys would pay that much for a crapped out gun. Almost as good a deal as I got on the sucker.

I actually just had the same problem with mine (post-64 PF). After dissassembly and a heavy application of kroil the safety wouldn't engage. As previously mentioned, make sure it's truly screwed all the way in. I've heard that may require pressing of the shroud lock to get another turn but that wasn't the case with mine. Another thing I was told to check was that the trigger retaining pin which I believe also holds the bolt stop and spring may have shifted out the right a bit. Again, didn't appear to apply to mine.

It's at the gunsmith now. I'm interested to hear what the problem was.