Thread: Toyo vs Monitor heaters

Default Toyo vs Monitor heaters

Toyo vs Monitors. Which do you think is better and why?

Thanks

I think it's pretty much a draw these days. A few years ago monitor had an edge but I think they are pretty even now. Both have issues and either one is a good choice as an oil stove. If you are talking gas rinnai makes a good unit also.

The only thing you should concern yourself with is parts availability. If you have a trustworthy supplier near by, that ain't gonna go out of business next week, go with that one. If you have to rely on the internet and mail order, it is a toss up.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Like was said before..in the past Monitor held an edge in reliability. From what I hear now, it's pretty even.

That said, I have a local Monitor dealer and no Toyo dealer. The local Monitor dealer has parts, a guy that can fix them, and loaner units while yours is in the shop, that right there makes it an easy choice for me. 14 years on the same two Monitors and I haven't had one fail completely yet. I've had a couple little issues, but nothing major.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks guys. What are some important things to look for on the units when buying used?

motor bearings, igniter function, holes in the pot, age
    If you buy used have it serviced before it gets cold if you don't have back-up heat.

After having 6 Monitors and now two Toyo's ( shops, cabin and guest quarters) I would caution against buying one used. They are great machines ( no preference really) but when they start to have probelms they can become very expensive in a hurry. The combustor motor and burn can are really a lot of money. If you maintain them on a regular basis I consider them to be a 6 or 7 year heater before the parts and labor make a new cheaper.

Wink

You aren't going to save $ by purchasing a used one, generally speaking. If the used unit is more than a year old, I wouldn't mess with it. I recommend purchasing a new one and immediately plug it into a SURGE PROTECTOR. They don't like power spikes and if not protected, they WILL get the computer damaged. Not every time, but often enough that they should be protected.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Alright, I'll take a side... I prefer the Toyo over the Monitor. I have 2 Monitors and 2 Toyos and LOVE the Toyos. Mic54 said it pretty good, watch out for pots and bearings! I have found Monitor to be less than reliable concerning both. I have dropped way too much money into these units and will not buy another! Toyo on the otherhand, has been very reliable and easy to fix on your own. I had to learn how to tune both makes up myself, because the local Monitor dealer was a real pip and overcharged me during my annual tune ups, (not to mention he's as friendly as a badger!) I don't want to get into details, but I firmly believe they make 75% of their money on service charges. Both the Toyo 56 and 30 are fantastic units that I'm sure you'll be satisfied with either...

Well I ended up getting a used Toyo 56 and fuel tank for $1100. It was only used one winter. So far it's running great. Anything beats the electric heat it replaced!
    Thanks for the help

I'm putting this thread out again. Monitor v Toyostove:

No reason to do so anymore, Monitors are no longer produced. I've been collecting parts and good units so that I can keep mine going, but I will be going to Toyos or whatever is available five years from now.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    No reason to do so anymore, Monitors are no longer produced. I've been collecting parts and good units so that I can keep mine going, but I will be going to Toyos or whatever is available five years from now.
    Thanks! I wondered why I couldn't find any info on Monitors!