Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you are concerned about pressure on the Anchor

Default If you are concerned about pressure on the Anchor

I posted this on AlaskaFlyFish.net

This is what I emailed and copied to over 50 people. Please do the same!!!

Sir, it has come to my attention that Land's End Resort is sponsoring your 1st Annual $1000 grand prize Fall Fly Fishing Tournament. This information was posted on
    www.alaskaflyfish.net as follows:

"From November 6th-8th, come compete for the $1,000 cash pot! Just minutes outside of Homer flows some of the most amazing fresh water tributaries on earth. The late fall fly fishing provided here is one of the best kept secrets in Alaska. All the tourists have gone home and the North Fork and Anchor River are left for the locals. These pristine rivers are perfect for experts and beginners alike. The fall season means world class Silver Salmon, Arctic Char, Dolly Varden, Rainbow Trout, and Steelhead fishing. So grab some friends, hop in the car, and head down to Homer for a weekend of fishing and fun.
    Contact Patrick at 907-235-0414 or
    legm@alaska.net, for FREE tips on fishing and maps detailing the best spots to target these world class trout. Call Land's End Resort today to sign up for the Fall Fly Fishing Tournament. $50 entry fee. All ADF&G fishing regulations do apply and will be enforced. At the tournament check-in, you must provide a valid drivers license and a valid fishing license. Special fishing hotel rates as low as $80 based on availability. 1-800-478-0400 or 907-235-0400."

My response to that post was as follows: "I am going to contact the guy and tell him I am going to boycott Lands End unless they cancel this stupid thing. I hope you are going to do the same. I usually stop there for lunch or dinner numerous times over the summer and often times my friends stay there. Tell this gent that this is the worst silver season on record, the dollies have all but disappeared and the few steelhead there are getting hammered. Tell him that a bunch more pressure on these streams along with maps will mean that fewer fish will survive the winter and our future fishing will be in jeopardy. I think I may also organize a petion drive to ask ADF&G to close all of those streams by EO during those dates."

As you can see I am a little angry. I have worked my entire professional life to protect Alaska's fish and fish habitat. This tournament is a bad idea. Our fish streams cannot take this kind of pressure. I have lived here in Anchorage for well over 30 years, and over those years I have probably spent thousands of dollars on rooms and meals at Lands End. If this happens I will not continue and I will be asking my friends to do the same. I have a cabin on the Anchor at Anchor Point and I know many fine people in Homer. I will be asking them to contact you as well. Please let me know soon that this was a bad idea which you have reconsidered and there will be no tournament. Is there an ADF&G permit for this?
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-07-2009 at 22:59. Reason: language

If there is an ADF&G permit for this it should be revoked. What the hell is this guy thinking?

this needs to be stopped.
    land's end's big cash cow for the winter was always the photographers who stayed there and took pics at the eagle lady's place... now that that has ended they are gonna be hurting (that was an easy 100+ rooms per month, if not more).
    first i've heard of this, i guarantee i will be making a stink down here...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What a bunch of BS--Lands End needs to pull there head out!

Thumbs down

Wow as if the Steelies are not getting hammered enough as it is, I heard that they counted the down river fish through the weir and it ended up around 1400 fish. Any idea how they are trying to run this thing, the steelhead by law are not to be removed from the water. Lets hope for an early Freeze!

Default A note to Lands End Resort..not that they will care

Patrick,
    Lands End Resort
    Homer Alaska

re: Cancel your tournament

The Anchor is a beautiful river, a once great fishing stream that is in
    decline,
    some say dying from over fishing of the resource.

From any point of view, the upcoming fishing tournament sponsored by your
    company
    "Lands End Resort" is an ill considered affair that contributes to the
    demise of a
    fishery apparently in collapse. This tournament is nothing less than a
    damaging and
    irresponsible idea. Whoever conceived of this event is, frankly, out of
    their mind.

Have you even tried to fish that stream in the past few years? Don't you
    read the
    local newspapers...surely you must have heard something about the fish
    stocks of
    that river? Have you spoken to anyone at Alaska Fish and Game about the
    health of
    the fishery and the merits and consequences of such an event on the
    Anchor? Have
    you consulted with any of the sport or commercial fishing interests or
    agencies in
    the area about condition of the Anchor River fishery?

Do you people at Lands End Resort have your heads in the sand?

I just called the Lands end to verify for myself if this is true. The lady who answered the phone was very excited and said they are going to be having a tournament.

I told her my feelings and sent and email the the address listed. I urge you all to do the same thing too.

I am relatively new to Ak, but not new to steelheading. I've fished the Anchor twice this past month and could not believe how much pressure this little stream gets for a c'n'r fishery with low return numbers (relatively speaking). To hold an event such as this at this location is a blatant disregard for the resource and is just bad judgement and/or based soley on the greed of lands end.

If this does indeed take place, they will not recieve any business from myeslf or anybody I talk to. Email will be sent.

Talking

Economics to the locals play a much bigger role than a few locals catching fish. It is this way where ever there are good, easily accessible fishing holes. Tournaments, derbies, competition between charters/guides are what keeps the fishing holes open to the public. You can bet your last nickle, that if the only people using the creek were the few local diehards, it would have been closed off a long time ago. That is the way the system works. People need to understand the logic of the system, before they start complaining or wanting it to themselves. If you are not willilng to share it, it will be taken away from you.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Economics to the locals play a much bigger role than a few locals catching fish. It is this way where ever there are good, easily accessible fishing holes. Tournaments, derbies, competition between charters/guides are what keeps the fishing holes open to the public.
    Understood, just saying that a small creek with only a couple thousand (if that many) fish returning to it should not be what puts food on the table and its not what keeps holes open to the public. Continue to have events such as this and it will eventualy be what keeps holes closed to the public due to overfishing. I've seen it eslewhere and it can happen here.

Default talked to F&G

they have already told land's end that they do not support any derby tournament on wild stock fish.
    guess land's end doesn't care... (actually, i am not guessing)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    they have already told land's end that they do not support any derby tournament on wild stock fish.
    guess land's end doesn't care... (actually, i am not guessing)
    If that is so, I find it to be ABSOLUTELLY hypocritical and untruthful of them to say that. I am knee deep in knowing their involvement in the Derbies in UCI. King Salmon/Pike. They not only support it, they PAY for advertising in the brochures and ads as well. I think you are getting Lip Service, just like the next guy that might call. They find out what your beef is and then formulate a response to appease you. Or you found one individual within the dept apathetic to your cause and concern. Either way, it just ain't so.

BTW "wild fish" stocks in the Derbies they openly support are in way more danger of being threatened to extinction than the Anchor River Steelhead.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default this clipped from a recent ADN story on steelhead.

"But this year, state biologists counted steelhead leaving the Anchor in the spring. Those results, the first solid Southcentral steelhead population numbers in years, are due soon. Nicky Szarzi, a Fish and Game area management biologist in Homer, expects the number will fall between 1,000 and 1,500 fish -- considerably less than the 4,000 steelhead estimated to be in the Anchor decades ago.

State regulations are designed to protect them."

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    People need to understand the logic of the system, before they start complaining or wanting it to themselves. If you are not willilng to share it, it will be taken away from you.
    On the contrary, people need to understand the logic of sustainability... if the resource declines then so too will the economics... it is the classic case of "the tragedy of the commons." ADFG may indeed support other wild fish tournaments elsewhere, however, target species and time of year have a lot to do with the success of trickle down economics.

This "tournament" idea is absurd. Lands End may not pull the plug, but I would fully support an ADFG EO closure of the fishery for those dates. Perhaps an online petition could be circulated and submitted to a regional biologist for starters....

Quote Originally Posted by jockomontana View Post
    On the contrary, people need to understand the logic of sustainability... if the resource declines then so too will the economics... it is the classic case of "the tragedy of the commons." ADFG may indeed support other wild fish tournaments elsewhere, however, target species and time of year have a lot to do with the success of trickle down economics.

This "tournament" idea is absurd. Lands End may not pull the plug, but I would fully support an ADFG EO closure of the fishery for those dates. Perhaps an online petition could be circulated and submitted to a regional biologist for starters....
    Shoot,
    I could support an EO that would shut down the entire fisheries from the every drainage on the Kenai Penn, but the economics of such an action wouldn't. Those fish are too few to be concerned with, obviously or there wouldn't even be a fishery opened to C&R them. The other derbies they support are very much targeting a specific species and it has EVERYTHING to do with trickle down economics.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Announcment

I would Like to Announce the 1st annual poker run inner tube race down the Anchor River, November 6th, 7th, 8th. we will be doing time trials down the river with a new floater starting every 30 seconds, This will be a nationally advertised event with a few thousands participants. Lets protect the fish for once!

The tournament is off.

Mike from Land's End called a few minutes ago (did someone give him my number?) and informed me that the tournament will not be held.

The e-mails and calls regarding the tournament have discouraged him from allowing Patrick Cashman to hold this tournament.

Thanks BN2FSH for getting the word out. It didn't take long for them to realize that some things are not good for business.

Props to them for correcting a potential PR nightmare.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Angry

best news I heard all day....well except that pfd was in the bank....i guess the tubing is off also.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    ....i guess the tubing is off also.
    Too bad. That sounded like fun.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Thanks BN2FSH. For being the front runner on this issue,,, now i will book a weekend at lands again this winter, i like the way that all the locals banded together for the good of Alaskan fish & habitat maybe its time to band together and boycott the Kenai River Classic but then again you have to be invited so what could we do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast