Thread: TDS vs. Mil Dot Reticle

Question TDS vs. Mil Dot Reticle

Recently purchased a browning 300 win mag and now I am evaluating scope options. I really like the TDS Ballastic aiming system on Kahles scopes (I have two of them and would buy a third in a second). Unfortunately, Kahles no longer makes the scopes with the TDS. Swarovski does make scopes with the TDS, however, I just can't see spending over a $1000.00 on a scope that is going to get banged around while hunting. Zeiss also makes very good scopes (not as expensive) with the Mil Dot reticle. I understand that the Mil Dot system is used primarily for range estimation. However, it also seems to me that the Mil Dots could be used as aiming points. Does anyone have any experience with using Mil Dot and advice on this issue. Leopold also makes scopes with the Boone & Crockett reticle which would be another option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Fuzzy

Thumbs up Leupold B/C

I just put a Leupold 3.5x10 with the BC reticle on my 338 Win.......very sweet.
    Alaska

Default Mil Dots

My Nightforce NXS has a Mil Dot reticle. Mil Dots are only used at a set magnification (typically the lowest setting). Once you get used to it, it is a great system.

Default For greater precision at LongRange

I have several Leupold mil-dot scopes including one that is illuminated. The mil-radian reticles offer greater potential for accuracy because of their fine, hash mark lines, rather than the round or oval mil-dots.

I have an IOR illuminated M-8 reticle which is simply more versatile for long range than the Leupold mil-dots, and the illumination system covers the entire reticle rather than only the central + of Leupold's system.

I like the IOR scopes and they compare with or exceed the top-line fixed Leupold mark 4s, and compare to or exceed the lower magnification Nightforce. If you like Kahles, these are worth considering. They are especially tough-built and have great turret systems, which matter if you dial come-ups in the field.

I am selling my Leupold 4.5-14 30mm tube side-focus 50mm objective with Mil-Dot reticle; like new, no marks, in-box complete with all manuals, wrench, and Leupold mat, for $800 so PM me if you are interested.

Best of luck to you in your efforts to get your optic needs met. It is more challenging than choosing rifle and ammunition.

Default tds

I have a swarovski scope with TDS. It has worked really well for me. Able to take quite long shots when needed , at very long ranges Quickly!