Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery duck

Question Mystery duck

I recently shot a duck on a Kenai Peninsula lake which has me stumped. It was a brownish-black colored, medium sized, and had no markings at all. Its head sloped down into the bill much like an eider. The eyes were black also. Any ideas? I can't find any similar pictures on the duck sites.

Do you have a picture?

Probably a female spectacled eider

Hen/juvy can?

Sounds like a hen canvasback, can't be sure without a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Hen/juvy can?
    Also my guess, with out a pic. Good eaten duck!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Think about what you type!

Ok I don't want to come off as a ***** but. Think about it. You are basically telling people that you just go off shooting anything that comes along. Remember, you should Identify and then shoot, not the other way around. But how did it fly? was it more like a diver or puddler? speculum colors? These could help alot. Anyways, happy hunting.

Rob

Default Come on now Rob

Be nice, after all we need someone to keep the grebe population down.
    "IT'S A JOKE"

Would also like to mention identifying ducks in Alaska is a lot more difficult than people realize because they often don't have their fall plummage yet. I have seen many exerienced hunters make mistakes. We also don't know the whole situation maybe he thought it was another bird and thats why he shot. Maybe he shot this bird and stopped hunting for the day because he didn't know what it was and didn't want to shoot anything he couldn't identify. The man is lookng for some help and we should help him out without jumping on. I would hate for this forum to start changing from how it has been for the years that I have been on here. I have learned alot and it's because people have taken the time to help me and help others because there are a lot of new hunters out there getting their feet wet. I have asked similar questions on here when dealing with ptarmigan whether they were rock or were some juveniles and such. Lets all just try to help him out. Not trying to start anything because I know you didn't want to sound like an *** neither do I, but this is how it looks.

Thanks
    Jake

As for what type of duck it is, if it is real dark in color and medium sized, that makes me think it's something else because aren't the young or hen cans more a light brown, and I thought canvasbacks were large birds. Do you know what color the bill was or the feet.

My guess is that it could have been a type of scoter possibly I saw some some of them on Scout lake this summer there in Sterling

My first thought is a hen/juvy canvasback based on the head/bill slope. But I agree with catchfish that cans are typically larger ducks and lighter brown.
    http://alaska.fws.gov/aba/images/canvasback_hen.jpg

I can't say I've really seen any hen eiders, though, so maybe??
    Looking at some pictures, brown and black makes me think an eider of some sort. Common eider:
    http://www.alaskaduckhuntingguides.com/common-eider.jpg
    A couple good hen spectacled eider pics on this page if you scroll down to the bottom:
    http://www.roysephotos.com/SpectacledEider.html
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    As for what type of duck it is, if it is real dark in color and medium sized, that makes me think it's something else because aren't the young or hen cans more a light brown, and I thought canvasbacks were large birds. Do you know what color the bill was or the feet.

My guess is that it could have been a type of scoter possibly I saw some some of them on Scout lake this summer there in Sterling
    hmmm... surf scoter?
    http://birdsbybaranoff.com/images/_7...f%20scoter.jpg
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks Catchfish. I'm tired of people jumping on someone asking questions. Especially since I am one of those that asks a lot of questions. I am new to hunting and am looking for advice from other experienced hunters to become better myself. That will never happen if everytime someone asks a question someone makes them feel like an idiot for asking it.

Default canvasback

hen canvasback my guess

Default Darkish brown?

From your description, I'd have to say you shot Daffy rather than Donald since Donald has lighter feather coloration, wears a hat and has never been seen flying that I know of.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Ok Sorry

Well like I said I didn't want to come off as a *****. Sometimes I stir the pot, sorry it's my way of spicing things up. Anyways i really wanted to help. I know i have mistaken birds for others before. And nobody is jumping on anybody here. It is kind of funny to see the people who jump on others for supposedly "jumping on" somebody. It was a joke, and I'm sorry for any problems I've caused. I guess there will be one less guy stirring the pot from now on. Or will it? Anyways hope everyone has a good season.

ROB

Default Hen canvasback

In doing the research with your suggestions, I found the duck. Thanks for your help.

No, I've been at this a while (though I am no expert as you see), but I know what to shoot and what not to shoot. And no, I knew it wasn't a fish duck Duckman.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I recently shot a duck on a Kenai Peninsula lake which has me stumped. It was a brownish-black colored, medium sized, and had no markings at all. Its head sloped down into the bill much like an eider. The eyes were black also. Any ideas? I can't find any similar pictures on the duck sites.

Sayak.... by your description.. .i am pretty sure this is your duck.......

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You're pretty daffy,Vince.

Default You know how to kick a guy...

... when he's already been kicked down, dontcha KTKN?

May Daffy take a dump on your windshield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast