Thread: airboat plastic

Default airboat plastic

I have bought a 16 foot airboat with a brand new piece of plastic for it that hasnt been installed yet. my father has built 6 airboats but is a strong believer in no plastic! so has never installed it. my question is can anyone out there explain to me how to install it? best pattern to do it? is there any adhesives i need to use? and rivets or bolts? i hear rivets but have had a lot of the southern guys tell me hurricane bolts. and if rivets what kind and size? if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. oh and what is a good place to get a partial enclosier canopy redone and about how much? thanks again

Default Not adhesive

I assume you are trying to attach PolyEthylene such as UHMW? Adhesive will never work as the aluminum contracts and expands differently than PE.
    Most guys bolt it. AK OZ added it to his SportJon and did a nice job talking about the process in this forum. I can't remember if he showed the pictures or not.
    He drilled a stepped hole. Then he built aluminum dimpled washers. They look just like the ones used on airplanes. He set the washer into the stepped hole and then welded it in place to the hull. Doing it this way eliminated the need to drill holes in the hull.
    Not sure he is perusing this site these days, but if so he is normally full of great ideas.

I have drove airboats with and without UHMW. I tried a boat before and after the installation, UHMW is a must! Glue it and screw it.

thank you very much.Water_Gremlin see what do they use when you say glue and screw? im trying to make it the best i can. Its a 16 foot partially enclosed alaska built airboat by dick of airboats r us i hear and lenard from alaska airboats (good friends with my dad but havent talked to him, on the thought he might charge me for any info haha) put the last piece of plastic on. the guy before me took it apart and welded all the holes up but bought a brand new piece of plastic for it that came with. I am trying to figure out the best bet for bolts or rivets... more and more people are saying bolts with a sealing washer and lock nut so i think im going that way but ive only heard a few say glue it. im sure this is the best way to go not to actually get it to stick but to seal it and reduce the chance of wiggle room causing the bolts to come loose. so do you or anyone know the best material to use to glue it? it is a 16' partially enclosed with a 400 horse 383 stroker keyway 2:1 reduction and a 6 blade warp drive prop. so i plan on taking it places. this is my first time applying plastic and im the type of person that when i learn to do something i just want to learn the best way possible. thanks again for the help

Sorry akmack, I don't have an answer for you. Leonard and his boys replaced the plastic on the bottom of my airboat. I've known Leonard for a long time, stop by with a 12 pack after hours and I'm sure he will talk your ear off.

I have experience with the orange and black UHMW. I'm willing to bet your UHMW is blue. Orange vs black: the orange is much slinker on a sandbar than black. As far as durability I try to stay off the dry stuff as I do not want to find out how soon I will need to place the UHMW again.

Get that boat ready for spring. Here's a video of a trip tjm made to keep you excited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4XPsvtYog

Default UHMW lessons continued

Here is a little UHMW refresher course that might help folks. UHMW is Ultra Hard Molecular Weight PolyEthylene. 1/2" thick UHMW weighs about 2.6 lbs per square foot, is bouyant, and it expands about 3 times faster than aluminum.
    White is virgin and is not UV rated. Black is recycled material. Normally it is not UV resistant either. The black is also normally a bit harder and stiffer then Virgin UHMW, maybe even more brittle. It does not tend to bend as well or often for use in snow machine sleds, but for the bottom of a boat would work ok.
    Virgin UHMW can have pigment added to get a colored product. Colors do not mean UV resistant. UV resistant is an additive put in to help the UHMW stand up to the sun better. Different colors do not mean anything in the way of friction co-efficients.
    Some manufacturers add silicone to their PE, some do not. That will change the friction co-efficients. What type of blade they use to skive the sheets from the block make a difference as to friction resistance also.
    Here is a link to an earlier thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49510
    Hope that helps

I have 3/8 poly on my boat he glued it then ran elevator bolts to hold them in Not that crap leonard uses(Had one of his boats) ,Builder said in 30 years never had a problem And I have never had a problem and I beat mine to death on tours. This is why poly is a good thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzp7F3PDBI
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger when are you going to quit fooling around and let me drive one or your boats? I'll teach ya a thing or two. J/K

I really like how Andy's boats ride onsetp in the water.

hey Roger....lets go make a video...

since we're sharing airboat vids....here's another.....it is not the original soundtrack, it got blocked by YouTube ....but the footage is still fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXBrZ...e=channel_page
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have 3/8 poly on my boat he glued it then ran elevator bolts to hold them in Not that crap leonard uses(Had one of his boats) ,Builder said in 30 years never had a problem And I have never had a problem and I beat mine to death on tours. This is why poly is a good thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebzp7F3PDBI
    **** those boats are rediculous haha... do you know what he used to glue it? thanks everyone for the help and i cant wait to see you all out there

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Sorry akmack, I don't have an answer for you. Leonard and his boys replaced the plastic on the bottom of my airboat. I've known Leonard for a long time, stop by with a 12 pack after hours and I'm sure he will talk your ear off.

I have experience with the orange and black UHMW. I'm willing to bet your UHMW is blue. Orange vs black: the orange is much slinker on a sandbar than black. As far as durability I try to stay off the dry stuff as I do not want to find out how soon I will need to place the UHMW again.

Get that boat ready for spring. Here's a video of a trip tjm made to keep you excited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4XPsvtYog
    ya that got me pumped... your not going to believe this but i am yet to catch a pike and ive lived here my whole life. what is a good place to take an airboat for some pike and what do they hit? i heard a live mouse but thats here nor there haha

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Roger when are you going to quit fooling around and let me drive one or your boats? .
    That's funny !!!!

Andy sold Big Red
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!