Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS vs Lyman Electronic scales / powder throwers

Default RCBS vs Lyman Electronic scales / powder throwers

I ma thinking about breaking down and buying one of those gee-whiz electronic scales and powder measure gizmos.

I see Lyman and RCBS both have units...

Any pros or cons that anyone would like to discuss???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have the Lyman, works great and was cheaper. I use Lee dippers to speed the process up

Read this thread before you buy. There are several other threads regarding these things and some of their problems

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=62586

Personally I don't think I'll be buying any more of these electronic scales and despensers anytime soon.

Dan

Electronic scales are great for weighing bullets, cases, etc. I got to frustrated of them drifting around as I trickeled in powder and went back to a beam/balance scale and have been happy ever since.
    Tennessee

Default Rcbs

I've been using the RCBS Powder Pro scale and PowderMaster Dispenser for 10 or 11 years. Probably loaded 20,000 rounds on the dispenser and I use the scale several times a week in addition to the powder dispensing. I love them. They may quit working tomorrow, but they have been very serviceable and the only complaint is that the dispenser is a little slow, but its fast enough for me. I have other powder measures, but this is the unit I use for all load development and most of my use with IMR powders. PACT built this for RCBS and still performs maintenance on the units, but I've never had a problem.

I keep them in a controlled climate and calibrate the scale frequently. It has not replaced my beam scale, but it is about the handiest thing for load development I've ever used.

Would have bought one (RCBS) during my last trip to Sportsmans where-is-it House up in Los Anchorage. The knuckleheads working there kept telling me I missed a sale from the week before. I told them I would pay cash right then and there if they would give it to me for the sale price. They just stared at me...

Although I still have not be able to figure out which one is better (Lyman or RCBS) from the multiple threads I have read on many sites.

I also have read numerous threads in several forums and, after getting frustrated by all the differing advice, I have come to the following conclusions.

1. All scales are basically the same when it comes to reliability.
    2. All scales are basically the same when it comes to a lack of reliability.
    3. My opinion of the Lee beam scale is that it sucks because the particular scale I bought sucks wind.
    4. My RCBS Chargemaster 1500 works just splendid so I like that one.

So, my recommendation is to try to get a feel for each one out there based on what you have read and then go buy one and see what happens. Then you to can have an opinion to voice here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

iam using the lyman.. love it..

have the RCBS and DYLON beam scales and some other pocket digi scale. and they all say the same thing.. so i push start on the layman.. let it warm up enter load and hit repeat. ... every time i put the pan down it starts the next load

i bet the RCBS and HORNADAY are near the same...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I just ordered a RCBS scale from Cabelas. Both the Lyman and RCBS scales got mixed reviews on midwayusa. I went with the RCBS because my buddy has the Lyman--and likes it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=1064

Here are some of the reviews. You can check out the RCBS too.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I just ordered a RCBS scale from Cabelas. Both the Lyman and RCBS scales got mixed reviews on midwayusa. I went with the RCBS because my buddy has the Lyman--and likes it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*&brandId=1064

Here are some of the reviews. You can check out the RCBS too.

Tim
    I'm confused by your post. Your buddy likes the Lyman so you bought the RCBS???

I have read so many bad reviews by users on both scales that I'm leary of spending any money on either scale. I generally read from worst to best so I can skip all the fluff.

I do have a good friend that has the Lyman and I have used it while working up loads with him, it works perfect every time, was his special.

This makes it even more difficult to believe reviews by people of questionable knowledge. Do they actually have a clue? I guess it boils down to customer service on these products because from the reviews both are junk. On the other hand I have used one and love it.

I think I'll buy the new Hornady powder machine. http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...rge-dispenser/ There are no reviews so it must be great. I saw it on a web site the other day for $198.00, now if I could only remember where I saw it...

Keep us up to date when your scale comes in and add to the mystery.

They all work on the same principle and all are made in China. I chose the Lyman intitially because it was cheaper.

They all need to warm up. They all need to be kept away from drafts, yadda yadda (as does a good beam balance).

Like I said use a set of Lee dippers. Dump five grains less, hit button, trickle 5 grains, beep, dump into case and repeat...takes me less than 20 minutes to charge 50 cases

Default Why I Chose RCBS

The number pad has a full plastic cover on it on the RCBS. The Lyman has individual buttons. Now, we all know that powder goes where it wants to go, no matter how hard we try to keep it going where we want it to go.

My point is that the powder will find it's way into the inside of the unit through the keypad on the Lyman. I have the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and am very pleased with it's performance.

Let me think about this:
    Loose powder builds up inside the Lyman
    Add a little bit of electronics to make it work
    All this can equal: (Fill in the blank)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Dump five grains less, hit button, trickle 5 grains, beep, dump into case and repeat...takes me less than 20 minutes to charge 50 cases
    Great technique.

The number pad has a full plastic cover on it on the RCBS. The Lyman has individual buttons. Now, we all know that powder goes where it wants to go, no matter how hard we try to keep it going where we want it to go.

My point is that the powder will find it's way into the inside of the unit through the keypad on the Lyman. .
    , yeah...OK

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm confused by your post. Your buddy likes the Lyman so you bought the RCBS???

I have read so many bad reviews by users on both scales that I'm leary of spending any money on either scale. I generally read from worst to best so I can skip all the fluff.
    Yea, the reviews were bad for both the RCBS and Lyman I looked at. I went with RCBS just to try it out. It was about the same price as the Lyman.

Tim

Wink i use the lee scoop/s

then turn the knob on my trickler to add a few more grains to bring it up to snuff . unto my rcbs 5-0-5 scale from "1980 something" it takes time ..and every round turns out the same...slowly
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Electronic scale test

So after seeing the RCBS chargemaster in action I am REALLY wanting to purchase one. It was ridiculously fast and accurate. I was researching on here and other forums and came up with the scoop on them. I hope it's okay to post the link here.

I read several other threads on here talking about drifting, and wind draft's with electronic scales. It's looks like the RCBS doesn't have a problem with drifting and has a cover over the pan to prevent drafts.

This link tests 3 of the most popular ones side by side.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Three weeks ago I broke down and bought a RCBS Chargemaster combo from Natchez Shooters supply. They had the best price.

I have loaded about 300 rounds with it so far. It is very nice and dead on accurate. It has cut my loading time way down and it will allow me to keep loading and shooting during the busy summer season. On Sunday I loaded 80 experimental loads in about 40 minutes. It would have been twice as long before....
    It has increased my powder burn though....

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I have the Lyman, works great and was cheaper. I use Lee dippers to speed the process up
    Speaking of dippers, my dad reloading '06 using a fired case. Cut it down, then began to file it off until he could scoop the powder, tap twice, and the load be perfectly level with the top of the homemade scoop. Then he soldered a brass rod to the side. But it only works for one load and powder.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Three weeks ago I broke down and bought a RCBS Chargemaster combo from Natchez Shooters supply. They had the best price.

I have loaded about 300 rounds with it so far. It is very nice and dead on accurate. It has cut my loading time way down and it will allow me to keep loading and shooting during the busy summer season. On Sunday I loaded 80 experimental loads in about 40 minutes. It would have been twice as long before....
    It has increased my powder burn though....
    A tip I got from one of the nice ladies who answer the technical help line at RCBS: use your favorite brand of dryer sheet (Downy ), and wipe the plastic down inside the powder container and all over the machine, including the aluminum powder pan. This will keep flakes/balls/sticks from flying all over if you get some static electricity build-up. I had this problem when loading a big batch of .308.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast