Thread: Moose bait balls:

Default Moose bait balls:

I hav'nt heard how many people had sucess with them, anybody?

Being not much of a Moose Hunter, im thinking about using a Rutting Bull call, so the Bait will be there, walking around , with Cows following , naturally

I just recently read a post that led to an apiphany; shoot the fat Cows that are WITH the Bull in Rut...., and enjoy a Moose when its cold enough to store it in the shed, not the freezer....

Moose bait....
    thats what you ment , right? ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Feedback

Rock_Skipper,

Feedback so far...
    Eaten by wildlife, dragged off, tangled in antlers, brought in a different animal (black & brown bears & caribou),brought in cows only. Hunters coming back to a thrashed tree and the balls vanished. Tracks & moose nuggets were found around where some of the balls were hung.
    Although, no confirmed kills, they did bring moose in.
    Hunters have complained of the warm weather conditions this year.Thinking that this may have played a huge part in an unusual season.

What's your take? Should they be made again for next years season?

We don't hunt moose because we don't eat it. Any ideas on what could make this product better?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

On two occasions we did watch a bull lead a cow directly past the places we had ours hung.

the first set did not last long due to the heat, it was high 70's for a good part after the 10th, our moose were all Alpine during the day this year (2800 ft or higher) until the very end. however i did hang them in places OFF the main moose trails and did have moose in those locations.

one camp got his moose the evening i hung the rag up at the end of the clearing with the spray on it. that was the first eve that we had them down low in any number.. and still warm, i also got the bear that night.

however... it could all be coincidence?????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had two bulls walk very close to the bait ball and paid no attention as they were intent on another liquid product that I had put out 50 yards further.....I brought three bulls in very close with that product.

OK AKVERN,

You willing to share what the "other" product was. Or is it a secret and you were just trying to bait someone into asking you what it was? If so you got my attention.

I don't remember the brand name but it was in a small brown bottle with spray pump and was called cow moose pee......I must have bought it in Fairbanks.....I got videos of three bulls as close as 50 feet.....

We had several bottles that we sprayed on cloth in bushes below our calling location....some bulls were answering my calls from 1.5 miles and took their sweet time walking my way until they got the scent.....walked two with shooting distance of our airstrip.

Now is a good tme to get out and test it......mist it on the wind ...upwind of a bull and see what result you get.

Default Bait?

I wasn't aware one could use bait for ungulates. Is this knew?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK Archer View Post

not bait sented jells that hang from a tree and dissolve. attractent only
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Its not considered a bait because there are no food products in them. They are strictly a call lure made of scent. I think people are calling it bait... because it was made by Bait Em 907
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Its not considered a bait because there are no food products in them. They are strictly a call lure made of scent. I think people are calling it bait... because it was made by Bait Em 907

so what do you call DINNER?

guy bait?

meet on face book here

I wasn't aware one could use bait for ungulates. Is this new?
    I was also wondering this. hunting and fishing is different i guess but the regs for fishing in a no bait area considers scent as bait. one of my friends got a ticket for using scent on his lure this past year.

definition of bait by ADFG in the fishing regs,
    any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals.

does "bait" have another definition in the hunting regs?

just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not bait sented jells that hang from a tree and dissolve. attractent only
    Annis oil is an attractant but asking a trooper if I could use it for sping bear without a baiting permit he said I could not, he classified it as bait
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Regs

Refer to page 18 of the 2009-2010 Reg Book.
    "Except:
    -- Scent lures may be used for ungulantes, and for black bears ONLY under a black bear baiting permit"
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Thumbs up

Thank you bait em for clearing things up
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Been on the phone this morning with a couple satisfied customers. I am coming to the conclusion that Bull Urine and Real Moose Estrus worked better then the Synthectic Estrus.

Bull Moose urine brought in both cows and bulls.
    Moose Estrus brought in Bulls (young & old).
    Synthetic brought in all kinds of animals ... not just moose.

I think the main reason all of the stores decided to stick with the synthetic to put on their shelves, is because it doesn't expire and doesn't need to be kept cool.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

I know that it's very illegal to use salt blocks and such. I don't know about scent balls or whatever they are, however. I just found the answer (read page 19)
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...fs/general.pdf

The use of bait is illegal (except for black bear as explained by the rules).

well for a fact i have two sets of moose bait balls.

i am kind of counting on those hairy packages, yealding a few fox and such

meet on face book here