Thread: Downrigger wiring with 3 Battery Config

xtrareliable

Default Downrigger wiring with 3 Battery Config

Experts,

I'm having some battery issues and wanted some troubleshooting help. I have 3 batteries. 1 for the kicker, 1 for the house and 1 for the big motor. The batteries all have switches so they can be isolated. In this configuration upon which battery should the downrigger be wired to ? My guess is the dealer hard wired one downrigger to the the kicker battery and the other downrigger to the big motor battery. Therefore, when I'm trolling with the kicker and have the other battery turned off, I'm draining it by using the downrigger...right ? My thinking is the downriggers should run off the house battery which is always charging...right ?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on how you have things wired up. Do you have your 3-batt system wired through a Perko switch? If so, the only way the house is charging is if you are running them in the all position.

Also, downriggers typically don't draw alot of juice. I would just wire them to the house and not worry about it. That way your starter is isolated so you are protected and you can charge the house on the run back home.

On a side, I don't particularly like the Perko switches as they don't contain a voltage sensitive relay (VSR) that transfers power to the house battery once the starter is fully charged. That way its an automatic process. Once the engine has the start battery fully charged it starts charging the house. I know BEP Marine has switches that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    On a side, I don't particularly like the Perko switches as they don't contain a voltage sensitive relay (VSR) that transfers power to the house battery once the starter is fully charged. That way its an automatic process. Once the engine has the start battery fully charged it starts charging the house. I know BEP Marine has switches that do this.
    An ACR will do this for you. A small expense to be sure your starting battery is always isolated and both your batteries get the charge they need while your main motor is running.

Your start batteries should be isolated with VSR's as mentioned, and the only thing they should be connected to are their respective engines. Start batteries usually have thinner plates inside that lets them generate power quickly for starts, but this makes them susceptible to failure if they get run down too much. A house battery is usually a "deep cycle" battery, which is designed to be drained to a lower charge state than a start battery without damage.

I'd make sure everything except the engines is connected to the house battery circuit, with VSR's isolating the start batteries like PAtrickL mentioned. Then you will never have to wonder if it's gonna turn over when you turn the key (because of batteries anyway ).

An ACR or VSR are goog things to have. If you didn't have any though I'd wire the downriggers to the Kicker batt. What you are trying to prevent is killing your house system when you start a motor or apply a big draw to them.

Sobie2

On my aluminum boat I always run my downriggers on a separate battery that is not grounded to the hull to prevent a negative charge on the rigger wire. It will chase away salmon.

I isolate the battery from the main with a switch DPST (double pole single through) so at the flip of a switch I can charge it while running out or in to the fishing grounds.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!