Thread: Broken fly rod section

Default Broken fly rod section

I broke a section of a 7 piece fly rod and need to know where i can get it repaired?

Thanks,

Gus

I've done this before and just sent the section back to the manufacturer for a replacement. It will probably cost you, but it's better than buying a new rod.

If Cabelas, they will likely replace the whole rod no questions asked. If Orvis, contact them directly. Not sure about other 7 piece rods.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I Spoke to Cabelas

The rod in question is no longer made. Cableas's Stowaway 7. 8' 5wt.

There is a place in Anchorage called Tackle Repair Center. I don't know if the guy fixes rods, but I've used him to fix one of my reels. it wouldn't hurt to give him a call. I don't know the number, but the place is on Arctic Blvd.

You could try and fix it yourself. Depending on where/how it broke it could be fairly easy fix.

If it's the tip, you could just glue a new tiptop on and call it good....minus and inch or two.

If it's not the very tip, and a nice clean break, a fiberglass oversleeve is the way to go. All you need is an old fiberglass rod blank, some thread and epoxy. Don't use an internal plug as it will create a "flat spot" in the curve of the blank, and more than likely fail later on as it will create stress points above and below the repair. A glass oversleeve should not affect the action of the blank (much) as the material is much more flexable (and durable) than graphite.

Look at:
    http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/repair-oquinn.html

There is also a great forum there that could help you out if you decide to try and fix it yourself.

Good luck
    Nice Marmot.

I'm sure Ken in Anchorage would fix it for ya.

http://www.k-kustomrods.com/