Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Honda Rancher Carb Problem

  1. #1

    Default Honda Rancher Carb Problem

    I'm stumped with this one. The carb on this 01 Honda Rancher is filthy and needs to be pulled and thoroughly cleaned. It's a mess really. But what has me stumped is the bowl drain tube is steadily leaking gas when the gas is turned on. The screw to open the bowl drain tube is completely screwed in but the gas continues to leak. Maybe there is some kind of o ring in the bowl that is blown or torn.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Does anyone have a link to the service manual in pdf format?

  2. #2

    Default

    My friend Gary had this very same problem on a Rancher he owns, he had to take it back to the repair guy 2-3 times before he finally fixed. I believe he either had the carb rebuilt or replaced. I can ask him if you'd like.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    40

    Default

    james,

    Sounds like maybe the bowl threads maybe a bit worn. I would rebuild the carb first and see what happend. Maybe a new bowl and drain screw. But also make sure your float is not sticking and when rebuilding make sure that it is adjusted for the right hight. This very well could be the with it, just that too much gas is getting to the bowl.

  4. #4

    Default

    http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fich...2001&fveh=3804

    See part #13. That O-ring and screw drains the bowl when backed out of the housing. The gas is drained through a tube at the bottom of the bowl. I can't imagine that would require a rebuild. The atv runs just fine and the leak stops when the engine is running at high rpms. When the rpms are near idle gas pours out of the drain tube.

    The gas shouldn't leak from the bowl drain tube unless the drain screw is backed out. This is what I do not get. If the bowl was sticking the gas should go to the airbox right?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NoPo
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Screw could be stripped? How does it run down low, any problems?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    212

    Default carb drain

    When the engine is running higher rpms, most likely the flow causes a semi-vacuum, and therefore no leak at the drain, lower rpms, not enough flow for vacuum, so it leaks.
    Part #6 is a cheaper option if only the drain set screw assy is stripped out or the set screw seal is shot. But if the bowl assy is stripped out or you have gunk interfering with the drain set screw, you need to order part #5 (bowl assy) which is more expensive, unless you can clean the gunk out (if there is any). If all you are going to do is attempt to clean the bowl, make sure you have the gasket on hand, they are fragile and easy to mess up. Not sure about your atv, but mine is a real bear to get to. but it is doable.

  7. #7

    Thumbs up

    It is not the Drain Screw Leaking. Period. The line serves two purposes drain/overflow.

    It is one of two things:

    A. Water in the fuel bowl. Drain the fuel bowl using the Drain Screw. or

    B. Bad Needle and Seat. Take it apart and replace it. The rubber on the needle gets HARD from the new additives used in today's gas (you can't see the problem, even with a magnifying glass). They only last so long. They will actually start leaking while just setting around. So the word to wise is that if you are storing them, especially in a garage, ALWAYS turn off the fuel switch/valve. There have been several places burned down because of this problem.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8

    Default

    In reference to the earlier post I made, I got to thinking.
    It could also be a piece of dirt under the needle and seat, in that case open the bowl drain screw and apply a light amount of air pressure in the fuel inlet hose to the carb in quick/rapid succession blasts. If it is dirt, that will likely blow it out. But usually this is not the case.

    The carb is ported inside and the drain hose serves as a bowl vent, bowl overflow and bowl drain.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •