Thread: Bull Caribou Smell

Default Bull Caribou Smell

I am heading up around the Arctic Circle next weekend Bow hunting I have been seeing the threads about the meat smelling like urine. I am getting ready to leave Alaska and want to shoot a Bull but what do people do with the bad meat? I dont have anyone that would want urine flavored meat. Is it even legal to throw it away?

In the big game hunting regs on page 21, it talks about salvage requirements. The key word that it mentions over and over on that page is "edible meat". You must salvage all "edible meat" of the neck, brisket, ribs, loins, straps, quarters, etc. The only thing I see it mentioning that you don't salvage is the part damaged by the bullet.

So who determines "edible meat"? To me, meat tasting like urine is definitely not edible meat. To me, that means leaving it in the field for the bears and wolves to eat. But I also am not a trophy hunter, so I probably wouldn't go hunting if I couldn't eat it. So it's a bit of a catch 22.

If you leave that meat in the field, you will be cited, honest. Unless its blood shot meat, you do not get to make the determination. Look at the continueing saga of Pt Hope.

Once you get it out of the field and home, then you can determ,ine whaat to do with it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jwilm View Post
    I am heading up around the Arctic Circle next weekend Bow hunting I have been seeing the threads about the meat smelling like urine. I am getting ready to leave Alaska and want to shoot a Bull but what do people do with the bad meat? I dont have anyone that would want urine flavored meat. Is it even legal to throw it away?

rather simple decision here to make then...

Do not shoot a bull. in rut... plan your hunt accordingly to the rut, or don't go.

i guess you could throw your meat away, but understand that if the wrong group of folks see you you could end up either in the Dumpster with it or sporting some shiny bracelets with a chain on them
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I really wish that all caribou hunting for bulls statewide would be closed from October 1st until October 25th (or so...maybe my dates are off a bit, but you get the point).

Sir, with all due respect, please consider spending the money or the airline miles to come back to Alaska during a time that is better to harvest a bull caribou. Either that, or consider going later into November when the meat will be edible. Wasting meat is not something to be taken lightly. You can legally remove it from the field and then throw it away by some interpretations of the law, but...well, just please consider what it is you are doing and whether it is worth it.

I have heard others justify throwing away freezer burned meat by claiming the regs require you to salvage all the edible meat "from the field". Once it is no longer in the field, you may do with it as you please. If you just want a head, just buy one from ebay...lots cheaper!

Better take it with you.

The meat dosent taste like urine, it tastes like Rutted Caribou.

You cant give it away around folks who hunt Caribou bulls when its the proper time to do so.

You might give it to charity in Anchorage, such as Beans caffe' or turn it into some sorta spicy sausage.

There is a FnG trooper in the Kotzebue as well as the Anchorage airport who will look over your take. Call them now and ask, they may have the solution or at least a Cherity phone # to hook you up.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Shoot a cow.

I agree with Brian that October should be closed to the taking of bulls, as it is in other parts of the state. I also agree with others that the meat is unedible, fit only for wolves--and some hungry sled dogs. I know of guides out of Lake Clark who give any rutty meat away to native villages in the bush for their dog teams. You might be able to go this route, but it would probably be best to just shoot a cow or susupend your hunt to a better time.

Thumbs up

Lots of ads right now for free fish and game on craigslist.com

It appears as though it is not to uncommon for some to have more meat than they want. I would place an ad on there and state: All or none.

PS: During the rut, you gotta look real close at the antlers, cause a lot of them are broken or banged up right now. Choose carefully.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default i'm with brian... shut down hunting during the rut

i guided caribou hunters for years, and after sept 30th the air taxi we used would not accept the meat for give-away. if it ain't edible, don't shoot it.
    caribou is good before and after the rut, during the rut it is inedible. i once brought home several hundred pounds (can you say "learning curve") of rutty meat... my dogs wouldn't even eat it.... guess they weren't hungry enough...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default caribou

I am only saying if its not good tasting meat I'm not going to shoot a bull. I will take a cow if given the chance. Thanks for all the help.

I don't intend to sound cruel - but - I would suggest some hunter ed courses before going - AND READ THE REGULATIONS.
    Joe (Ak)

Don't just read them, comprehend them.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I really wish that all caribou hunting for bulls statewide would be closed from October 1st until October 25th (or so...maybe my dates are off a bit, but you get the point).

Sir, with all due respect, please consider spending the money or the airline miles to come back to Alaska during a time that is better to harvest a bull caribou. Either that, or consider going later into November when the meat will be edible. Wasting meat is not something to be taken lightly. You can legally remove it from the field and then throw it away by some interpretations of the law, but...well, just please consider what it is you are doing and whether it is worth it.
    Though perhaps not the most discerning "epicure", bad meat because of the "rut" has not been my experience. Had one bull moose that was really rough, but whether it was deer or caribou or reindeer on Kodiak we've never had a problem with "bad" meat during the rut. It has a lot more to do with how the meat is handled than when.
    Joe (Ak)

I am only saying if its not good tasting meat I'm not going to shoot a bull. I will take a cow if given the chance. Thanks for all the help.
    Good on ya. Good luck with your hunt. If you're hunting during October, I hope you have luck arrowing a nice, fat cow.

This time of the year is nothing more then a trophy hunt for allot of people. There is no way I would take a bull now even if it would be a record. The meat is foul and not worth all that work that is required of you to bring it out of the field. Save a bull shoot a cow!!!!!!! Once it's on the dinner plate your friends won't know if it was a bull or cow.
    good luck if you head up there.

that might be a good idea to submit a proposal to the board of Game this winter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Lots of ads right now for free fish and game on craigslist.com

It appears as though it is not to uncommon for some to have more meat than they want. I would place an ad on there and state: All or none.

PS: During the rut, you gotta look real close at the antlers, cause a lot of them are broken or banged up right now. Choose carefully.
    Seriously??? Free wild game meat? Until I sell a few sponsorships I could use some free wild game Beans are getting old!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Though perhaps not the most discerning "epicure", bad meat because of the "rut" has not been my experience. Had one bull moose that was really rough, but whether it was deer or caribou or reindeer on Kodiak we've never had a problem with "bad" meat during the rut. It has a lot more to do with how the meat is handled than when.
    Joe (Ak)
    Joe,
    In reading this, I assume you think it is OK to shoot a Bull Caribou during rut.

What do you do different in handling the meat during the rut as opposed to when they are not in rut?

Those wanting to take a big bull during the rut, could sure use some good advice on how to keep it tasting good.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default very interesting

I came across a couple rutty, stinky bulls some kids shot late last fall. They had been admonished by their parents and were hoping someone would take it for dogs. I chewed them a little more and then took the meat. A couple of elders had told me years before that the only way to get the rutty taste out of the meat was too leave the skin on and bury it in the snow until spring when they begin to show. I did this and skinned the bulls out. They didn't smell nearly as bad, and I noticed that it appeared the membrane between the skin and meat was breaking down or was broken down.

I ground some, steaked some out, and cut up some for fry meat. It didn't taste as good "regular" 'bou. but it was edible with some spices. I didn't care for it much, but it got eaten. I was more than happy to give quite a bit of it away as people's freezers got emptier though Long story short those two rutty bulls didn't go to the dogs- pardon the pun. I was happy that those bulls weren't wasted, but I wouldn't shoot a rutty bull during the rut in order to get a set of horns and then have to deal with sub,sub-par meat. I'd rather eat a fish eating-griz than a rutty bou.

ps those boys each got to help with their screw-up, and they didn't really care for the taste of their meat much either.

SHOOT A COW if you are going during THE RUT; bulls aren't worth it.