Thread: relocating to Alaska and need some advice

Default relocating to Alaska and need some advice

HI everyone, I need some advice. I have background exp being a medical secretary and wandered what the job outlook is in anchorage or fairbanks for a 23 w/o a college degree. I will be by myself with my beagle and do plan on driving up. I want to know should I try and obtain a job b4 i go or should i try to get one when i go there? where are the best places to live? I love to bake are there any local small type bakeries that hire ppl? How much is rent.....i wanna get either a studio or one bedroom apt. How much money should i bring for the first mnth?? Any and all advice is welcome...if you want to add something to this that i didn't mention but u think i need to know abt plz add to ur reply

thnxs,
    allison

Get a job before you come up or else you won't be too happy come winter which is a few weeks away. Check out all the usual for jobs. As for amenities in Fairbanks, I have no idea, I live in Anchorage.

Good luck.

Anchorage would be the better place for medical staff depending on your experience.

No one should show up without $5,000 in their pocket IMO. Back in the old days they used to make you show your money to let you into Canada if you were driving to AK. That was a long long time ago.

Go to the anchorage craigslist site and you can review rentals and prices and what not. Jobs too.

You will want a head bolt heater in the car and studded tires so right there is a chunk of change. However, CS has lots of used studded tires for sale so you can save money that way.

Finding a place that allows pets will be the hardest part from what I remember about renting years ago. Some places won't rent to you unless you have a job.

There are several small bakeries in Anchorage and a few in Fairbanks. Don't know about jobs though. Alaskans love their coffee and carbs.

fairbanks sucks avoid it at all costs
    Semper Fi!

The outlook is pretty good in the health industry in Anchorage and the Mat-su. It's pretty much the only industry that is growing at this time. The cost of living in Alaska is high to very high, but salaries are generally pretty good. Gas is over $3/gallon, food is more expensive, rents are high, and due to long and cold winters heating housing is high. Also if you don't have winter clothing that is another expense.

As others have said, coming up w/o a job is a bad idea unless you have enough $ for the trip up, expenses while you are up here, and the trip back. The best advice is to line up some job interviews, fly up for a week to interview and look over the town, and if you line something up then fly back and move up. You will generally spend more on fuel for a vehicle on a one way trip, then you will on a r/t airline ticket.

Honestly I think the Alaskan economy is just about to take the hit that the lower 48 recieved, and so I'd highly recomend against coming up unless you have a job lined up. I see the next couple years as being pretty grim.

You said housing is high so I don't see problem in that area, as I have an aunt who lives there and I'm staying with her. Thing is, she hasn't had remodeling for ages and my mom advised me to spend for at least stucco or retaining walls of my aunt's house since living with her means I could save a chunk on rent. How much do services like this cost in Alaska?

Check craigslist for Fairbanks and Anchorage as well as http://www.alaskaslist.com

Have a job before coming up, you'll be trying to get $$ to move back out if you don't.

Fairbanks is smaller than Anchorage and doesn't have the traffic problems. Rent really depends on if you want running water or not and the size of the house / apartment as well as the location.

Also check out the newspapers http://www.newsminer.com and http://www.adn.com for rentals / job opportunities.

Good luck.

Default Look at Southeast Alaska

You may want to consider Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan or some of the smaller towns. You will be able to find work in your medical field as hospitals are always needing health workers.

Anchorage and Fairbanks are just tiny cities in extreme cold

Southeast AK rarely gets snow and it does not stay for long when it does.

Southeast does not get hot in the summer or cold in the winter. If you can deal with rain, it's a better climate.

Unless you are an outdoors lover, love extremes, like big dogs, fishing and hunting, hiking, being out on the water, and willing to trade high heels for boots and wool socks... SERIOUSLY consider your decision to move to AK.

Remember: the odds are good, but the goods are odd up here

If you need job opportunities PM me and I'll send you some great resources. I have a job for you open now in Ketchikan if you are interested in working for a Public Utility Company.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    fairbanks sucks avoid it at all costs

Back off Greythorn, we need all the women we can get!
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Medical Job Vacancies

It's not Anchorage or Fairbanks but there are LOTS of opportunities in some of the smaller towns in AK for Med Secs. Check out the link below for jobs in the Bristol Bay Area. My wife is there already (I'm joining her in 37 days and counting) and loves it there.

http://www.bbahc.org/vacancies.html

post a picture and your outlook may change
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery