Thread: M1A sizing for a woman

Default M1A sizing for a woman

Found a good deal on an M1A Loaded in the lower 48 that I was looking at getting for my wife. And not having held one is quite some time, I was concerned that the sizing might be too big for her. She is 5'5". Anyone have experience with the sizing being too big on an M1A for women? I'm not worried about the caliber, just the stock sizing. I guess we could always cut down the stock as well. Thanks for any help.

You can always drop it in a Sage stock (http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html), which is fully adjustable and free-floats the barrel:

Default IF

If you find that it IS too long for her to comfortably shoot, and shoot and operate well, your best option, if you don't want to go to a collapsing or folding stock will be to cut down and pad a walnut or laminated piece to avoid cutting down the original (resale value, you know).
    I have one GI stock on hand, probably not a good candidate for butchering, as it is a pristine piece more suited to a collector, or a restoration, but we also have a take-off walnut SA piece available.
    Laminated stocks are available from Wenig's Stocks, Boyd's, Fulton Armory.....
    http://www.wenig.com/m1a_scope_stock.html

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Search...=14&Search.y=9

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

hre, are you going cheap on the stock? I've got a M14 wood stock from a kit. It came from our friends in the Mideast years ago. It's butt ugly. I never paid any attention to it because Fred sent me some nice wood instead of fiberglass one time and the kit is (was) just for spare parts.
    So here's the deal, for the OP only: if you want to try to cut it down for your wife, let me know. Let's say $20 plus shipping. I will pull it out and look it over to make sure it has no cracks, etc., and will pull the butt plate off (I keep the rear metal). Again, it's butt ugly as it is, black finish, lettering, scratches, assorted dings, etc. Don't know what's under the finish. No photo. You have to let us know how it worked out.

Just checked Fred's and looks like you can get a similar stock w/metal for around $20, so a better price would be $10 plus shipping.

Come on guys, these stocks are butt ugly and you know it. If you want the old warrior to look like something it ain't, get something else.

Back when I slept with an M14, all my girl friends could shoot the standard rifle. In fact I think the only reason they went out with me was to shoot that rifle.

The Navy model or jungle carbine version with its short tube would be easier to hold for off hand, I suppose that SOCOM thing of today, if a little less weight up front was desired but personally I like my girl friends to have.............well nevermind. I forgot what we were talking about, I am waxing nostalgiac.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Kind of

Some of these stocks have some beautiful wood under all that finish. Some day I'll have to learn to take photos and how to post. My shooter M14 style has a plain jane stock that I stripped down and refinished. Sure looks better than when Uncle Sam used it.
    A guy that shoots with us had a M1 done by Deans. The whole front of my shooting jacket got wet from the drool the first time I saw it.

Murphy does make a good point, round about: As you cut wood off the end of the stock, the balance of the rifle is going to change.

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, I'm not saying your wife deserves a butt ugly rifle, or you should make a nice rifle butt ugly; it's better to cut up and experiment with a butt ugly stock than a beautiful hunk of wood that's worth some bucks. If the experiment works out with the ugly wood (and there may be something under that ugly) you will know what size and at what angles to cut the next one.

Thanks gentlemen for the responses, appreciated. Yeah, it wasn't my end goal to make the rifle fit her by any means possible. I would end up looking for another rifle that fit her if the m1a didn't. I was just trying to get it figured out since a good deal came up on one in the lower 48. i'm in afghanistan now, but found out that the local store in AK has a loaded model in, so i'm sending her there to size it up. if it doesn't fit her, no problem, i'll look for a different rifle.

thanks for the suggestions, tips and past experiences with girlfriends!