Thread: Goose call review

Default Goose call review

I've purchased a Foiles Meat Grinder, polycarb sub $50 caller & while it's not the $150+ acrylic models out there, I am currently impressed with it, it's got great volume & seems pretty easy to operate for a first timer like me, & when I get the hang of it, & expand my call repitore, I am sure this will do it's job & pay for itself in no time!

The Meat Grinders a good call ( I own one ) but spend the money and go with the Giant Killer.....I personally like the Tim Grounds Half Breed.....It does something to the geese that I cant explain.....good luck on the calls....

Having grown up in SD and hunting geese all over this country I dont just use one call. Depending on the types of geese I use either a deep or shallow pitch.

I have a Foiles but mostly use a hand made calls from a friend in Minnesota. Calling is over rated. Scout, set up on the X and they will come. Flagging is more effective up here then calling. Living in Delta I have pulled more geese in using a flag with zero calling then the other way around. In fact I have pulled geese off other set-ups with my flagging techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    Having grown up in SD and hunting geese all over this country I dont just use one call. Depending on the types of geese I use either a deep or shallow pitch.

I have a Foiles but mostly use a hand made calls from a friend in Minnesota. Calling is over rated. Scout, set up on the X and they will come. Flagging is more effective up here then calling. Living in Delta I have pulled more geese in using a flag with zero calling then the other way around. In fact I have pulled geese off other set-ups with my flagging techniques.
    Funny that you mention flaging. I had something happen to me last weekend. I was trying to work some geese with my call. I remembered I happend to have on a black hoody tore it off and starter waving it. I didn't get any geese but it did seem to turn them. Made a mental note to pick up a flag. I will have one. Any brand sugestions. What do you think of the ones with camo on one side?

I prefer the T-Flags. Brand shouldn't matter much. The key is movement.