Thread: What gun should I take?

Default What gun should I take?

Here is the skinny on things. I'm heading to Kodiak in Nov for a blacktail hunt. My intention is to take a couple with the bow, but I would also like to take a gun as a backup (bear and also if I'm unable to connect with the bow). I know that most prefer the .338 or larger for bear, but I do not have a rifle that large. Here are my choices: T/C Encore 300 wmag single shot, 30-06 semi auto or 11-87 12 ga (slug/00 buck). I know that a well placed shot from any gun will kill a BB, but I'm more concerned with stopping a charge at close range. Which of the 3 would you take?

if your only takin' a gun to stop a charge..whichever one puts the bullet right where it needs to be the first time, every time....semi would be nice, but on kodiak it might not work after carrying it around in the rain and brush for a week...so i'd vote the slug gun...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

thanks BRWNBR! That was the way I was leaning. My thinking was that I could take both the slug barrel and also the normal 26" RC (possibly shoot some ducks if I get my deer before the 7 days is up).

I would take the 06 as the 11/87 is also semi auto and it can mess up also.Plus if you don't get a deer with the bow you could take one with the rifle. Of course if you want ducks then the shotgun is the way to go but have good quaility slugs.JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    if your only takin' a gun to stop a charge..whichever one puts the bullet right where it needs to be the first time, every time....semi would be nice, but on kodiak it might not work after carrying it around in the rain and brush for a week...so i'd vote the slug gun...
    11-87 is also a semi, so possibly the same problem. I'd probably still take it, but only because I like the idea of shooting ducks.

06 for sure.....gotta agree the weather in kodiak in november can be brutal, beautiful sunny, snowy, wet and miserable in the same day. ive seen it! wet in the morning and freezing sleet in mid afternoon id worry most about my semi auto freezing up. keep some lock de-icer in your pocket, it will help just in case, as my signature says, its better to have it and not need than need it and not have it. as for bow hunting, our last winters hunt on kodiak during the 1st 10 days of november was long shots, windy weather and the last 4 days were snowy as hell..we were hunting the south west part of the island where there are no trees until you get farther away from the coast up the river valley aways.my buddy bagged all 6 of his deer ( proxy) with a t/c encore 300wm, very nice rifle. I hunted with a 30-06 mauser and had no trouble dropping a 8'9" grizzly and my limit of deer.

Release Lake Trout

Default 11-87...

It would take VERY nasty conditions to make an 11-87 stop working altogether. I have been out in -20 temps, dropped the gun in the snow, picked it back up and shot geese with it. True, at that point, I had to cycle the action manually, but it still shot every time I pulled the trigger--kinda like a straight pull bolt action. Still WAY faster than a single shot.

I would also ask, what model is your .30-06 semi auto? Some are more reliable than others. If it's a Garand, I would take it just for cool points.

Well considering you run alot slower than the other two younger guys your going with, you would need something big to defend yourself while your out there. But then again, you can travel alot lighter and make the other two carry most of the gear since one of them will only have a bow....

Don't lose your rifle, like some people.....

Funny Chuck! But I must remind you that those 2 youngins have yet to beat me...okay Andy once and then the pride factor kicked in for this ole man. Because the next time out, I dusted him by 40 seconds. I guess that Tyler and I will be swinging by the house on the way down to see you, Hannah and the kids...looking forward to it. Oh, did you get the score back on your sheep?

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. I still haven't decided what I'm going to take with me...maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to by another gun...the wife will love that one. But, thanks again!

I'd bring bear spray for the bears. I don't think I can shoot accurately and poop my pants at the same time.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

The bears will be in the higher country that time of year. A 12 gauge with slugs or that .30-06 with 180 grain bullets will ventilate any bear that gets an attitude.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.