Thread: Thoughts on Berger Bullets?

Default Thoughts on Berger Bullets?

Wondering is anyone has any experience with Berger bullets? About to load some 185gn VLD's in 300WSM. I have emailed them for load data, waiting on a response. Thanks for any input!

Will

I have used them in my .308 and 300RUM with very good accuracy. I have an Elk tag for an October 16th AZ unit 10 hunt. With any luck I'll have results and data on game.

When weighing a box of 100 175gr Bergers they consistently weigh virtually the same. Typically all are within .1gr, pretty consistent production.

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Wondering is anyone has any experience with Berger bullets? About to load some 185gn VLD's in 300WSM. I have emailed them for load data, waiting on a response. Thanks for any input!

Will
    I have loaded some of the 210 VLD thick jacket target bullets for my 300 RUM and have also shot some out of my 300 WSM. RL17 worked very well in my rifle.

For a hunting bullet, their terminal balistics is explosive. A lot of guys use them very effectively, but expect a lot of meat damge. I know a guy who stopped using them because every deer he shot was blodshot. Their performance is a little inconsistant. Sometimes they exit and sometimes they dont. They usually dont have to exit because they usually drop the quarry right there. I've also heard of an occasional failure to expand and an occasional failure to penetrate because they may blow up on a heavy bone.

Their accuracy is great and and they are a great high BC, long range bullet. A lot of the guys in the LR forums use them.

For hunting, I personally would go with E-Tips or AB's.

Hope that helps.

-MR

Default VLD

I used to shoot the 190 grn VLD out of my 300 WM in long range matches. Very consistant ! Very Accurate ! Uniformity and weights are very close !
    I've also shot a couple of whitetails with 175 grn bergers out of the same rifle (these were left over match ammo I had loaded for a 600 yd match). The worked well enough to kill a whitetail at 200 or so yards. That said whitetail aren't nearly as tough as many other game animals.
    These bullets weren't recovered but there was a lot of damage to the animals.
    I would personally recommend a bullet like the Accubond if you wan't a bullet that has a good BC & SD.
    Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Very accurate and perform like any other cup-and-core bullet on game at longer ranges. But just like any other cup-and-core bullet, they're a mess on game up close where velocities are high.

It would be a top pick for me for really long range shooting at thin skinned game, likely a choice between that and Sierra depending on the preference of an individual rifle. But if I'm likely to get some close shots on the hunt, neither would be my first choice. I'd go with the Nosler partition if possible for the right mix of controlled expansion up close and more reliable expansion at the lower velocities at very long range.

Bill Campbell, the owner emeritus of the Hunting Shack (HSM) uses the Bergers for Elk Hunting and swears by them, and that man knows more about ammo, ballistics and bullet performance than probably anyone in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I have an Elk tag for an October 16th AZ unit 10 hunt. With any luck I'll have results and data on game.
    My son had that tag two years ago and the Bulls were in full rut so you should not have much trouble locating Elk. For a kid who shoots great off the bench he had buck fever on the first two Cows, both under 30 yards a few hours apart .

He finally connected a couple of days later. One shot at 300 yards . Go Figure. I'd offer to help but we are going back east to NY for my brothers wedding but will be back in town on the 19th if you need help packing or spotting. I have a couple of pairs of Swarv's which have served me well in the past.
    Good Luck

Default Thanks

Lots of great input. Thanks a bunch! Now still waiting on load data from them.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    My son had that tag two years ago and the Bulls were in full rut so you should not have much trouble locating Elk. For a kid who shoots great off the bench he had buck fever on the first two Cows, both under 30 yards a few hours apart .
    I wish I could say the same about the area. I spent two nights in the field scouting so called hot spots. I put over 150 miles on my truck searching water holes in the west and north sections of the unit. Very dry to say the least.

The only sign I found was in the south east corner. I saw fresh tracks and droppings in and around a few tanks. I never saw an elk of any sex but mule deer were everywhere. My hunting partner is up there now, I'm hoping he has better reports. We're looking for areas out of the norm. Most hunters congregate in the south east corner. There are hundreds of tags and I don't want to catch a bullet from a crazy first time shooter.

As far as Berger's go, I just tweaked my load this morning. I'm shooting a Christensen Arms 300RUM with 88.5gr of IMR7828ssc in a Nosler case with CCI 250's. That load is grouping 3 shots 3/4" at 200 yrds with a 3224fps average. I couldn't be happier than that unless I get to drive one into a fat Elk on the 16th.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    .... RL17 worked very well in my rifle.
    To be a little more specific, my 300 WSM.

Wish Berger would write a loading manual.

Great bullets and a company that is very responsive to the precision shooters who make their market.

Would really love to see data for all the modern ctgs that the other bulletmakers choose not to cover. In this day and age, nobody is handloading for their carcano, or velodog. It is a crime that so many of the finest developed ctgs of the past 10yrs are overlooked by Sierra.

I am through buying manuals, and won't subscribe to the crummy for-fee websites.

I think the bullet companies are up to their neck in the silver and are too dumb to go for the gold. Nosler and Barnes are the only companies covering recent developed and AI ctgs. The recent Sierra book is junk.

Berger could cover the Grendel, 6mmAR, all the popular 6mm longrange like the XC and Dasher, the short magnums and all the big .338 and Chey-Tac stuff and carve their niche. If only they'd make a 300 gr .338 and a .408.. Would really like to see the .338 Norma get some coverage and a shorter chey-tac.

Longrange precision IS Berger's primary market, plus benchrest. Time to step up and produce a modern loading manual for the finest bullets made.