Thread: Moose and machines

Default Moose and machines

In light of the threads about atv's and game, the moose hanging in the powerline, moose in town, moose in my yard in downtown Fairbanks, etc. What do you think about moose and machines in general?

To me they don't seem to be too concerned about anything once they set thier mind on something. Any animal that will swim the Tanana has no fear. I don't think the sound of an engine bothers them much. One year I went along with a guy hunting in what I would call high use atv area. We each were riding our quads, this was a "motorhome by the highway ride the quads around" kind of hunt. The guy I was with has some health issues and can't get around too good so we were basically "road huntin" from our quads on flat hard well traveled trails. We rode back in a couple miles, stopped, shut of our machines starting blowing a cow call right away and 10 minutes later I had a bull down.

One year another friend and I were floating the Chena in my riverboat with the motor off when an inboard comes roaring up the river right on by, we continued floating around the bend and right there in the willows was a little bull reaching up as high as he could to eat the tops off the willows. The inboard blew right by him. He ended up in my freezer.

I have more stories about moose and machines. I don't think they are very machine shy for the most part. Even bigger ones. One year we got a 50 and 60 incher on the same hunt and the bulls weren't bothered by the sound of our engines.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I think that I am a whole lot more bothered by the sound of engines when I am hunting than the moose...

In most cases I have never considered moose to be shy when it comes to the sound of a combustion engine or vehicle. Even when I ride Knik the moose never seem to be bothered by the noise, but if you jump of the machine and snap a twig walking around they seem to go running.

One moose story I have happened when I was calling coyote. I was throwing out a few yips and then a long howl. It was a locator call with half effort if you will. As soon as I hit the howl a cow laying down next to a swamp pond concealed by tall grass, about a few hundred yards away, leaped to her feet with the hair of the back standing at attention. She ran like the grim reaper himself was closing in.

At moose camp we could ride the track rig within a few dozen feet of a moose and we would not even know the animals presence until it headed for the hills. boy, arent those track rigs noisy.

The exception, in my experience, has been power boats.

I have also seen moose just look when atv's, trucks and boats buzzed right by them. However, if one is pushed or harassed by one, they can and will disappear at the first sound. I sat on a hillside behind Eielson a few years ago and watched a bull eating willows when a 4-wheeler at least half a mile away came bouncing down the trail the moose was standing on. The moose just stepped into the willows and watched until it had passed. It then stepped right back out and continued eating. The "hunter" on the 4-wheeler could have shot him from 20 feet if he hadn't been riding hell-bent for leather and had been observant. I have also seen moose turn and run like crazy in similiar circumstances. All I could think of was they had been chased or atv's or snowmachines in the past and was not going to have any part of it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

In the spring while running jon boats on smaller streams I've come around corners only to find a cow and calves(always from that spring) standing in the middle of the stream. That makes for some quick manuvering, especially when in shallow water. I've never had to try and dodge them though. Have always been able to see them in time to let off the throttle and drift back with the current or whip a quick 180 if headed downstream at the moose. Thankfully those light boats with tiller steering jet drives are so manuverable! My theroy is that they hear the boat coming and get spooked so they head into the water as a natural defense mechanism, only thing is that they don't realize that the "scary boat" is also using the river until its too late. Anyone experience the same?

Default Truck verses Moose

Back in 96 while picking up bear hunters on stand we were driving back to the lodge when we spotted a bull moose in the road. Now usually here in Maine the moose see a vehicle and dart right off the road OR they run/trot down the road in front of you at 25 MPH until you are getting frustrated and want then out of the way.

On this night though, Friday the 13th (I kid you not), this moose desided he wanted a piece of us. He spun around and charged the truck ramming up right in the grill. His brow tine got stuck under the hood and he tried to lift his head and shook the whole truck. In his frustration he started shaking his head from side to side smashing his palms into the hood of the truck. We finally backked up and released the moose from the grill. You would think he would have run off??? Nope. He charged us again!!! We are going down the dirt road backwards being chased by a moose!

He tired of chasing us and started trotting down the road. So fortunately he didn't do any severe damage to the truck and we proceeded back to the lodge. As soon as we rounded the bend in the road there was our moose standing there waiting for us. We stopped and had a face off. When the moose realized we weren't going to take him on again he proceeded down the road again. We left him get out of sight and then proceeded again. This time when we rounded the bend he came out of the bushes and charged the truck again. He actually waited to ambush us!!! He rammed the front of the truck again!!! We backed up the truck and sat there as he stood looking at us with steam coming out of his nose like a steam engine. After about five seconds of a stare down he came charging at us yet again and chased us down the road going backwards again.

This went on for about a mile and three tenths. At the high ground in the road our bull would wait for us and then we would stop and let him feel like the boss. Finally I had had enough of this cat and mouse game and was getting frustrated with this moose. We hollered at it, fired shots in the air, beeped the horn and he never reacted to any of it. We got to a point where I said to the two hunters and guide in the truck with us that I was going to try to pass this moose. To which the hunter on the passenger seat said, "NOT ON MY SIDE YOU AREN"T".

As he stood there on the high ground we creeped up to him hoping not to anger him. But that didn't work so I floored it and as we passed him he rammed into my door. He didn't break the glass in my window (luckily) but he caved in my door to the point where I couldn't roll down the window or open the door. I tried to look and see if the moose was okay but I couldn't, I told the hunter to open him window to see if the moose was still there to which he replied, "WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY, GET OUT OF HERE!!!".

Most people would believe this story but fortunately one of my hunters was running his video camera the whole time. I have another truck moose story but I will save it for another time.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Default They have no fear to swim

This year fishing for Kings with a buddy on the lower Kenai--ON A SATURDAY--river packed with guides and the like, we saw a cow between airplane hole and River Bend come right out and try to swim across the Kenai. This is a fairly wide and certainly deep and swift area of the river. She wouldn't give up though, she swam right out, dodging boats as the current carried her down and around the bend--still trying to work her way across. There were probably 10-15 boats in that 1/2 mile stretch river at the time--all with motors running. She appeared unconcerned by the boats entirely except when we were in her way. (The number of boats normally keep me in me up river in my drift boat unless its drift only Monday--but thats another story altogether)

Will

Default Flip side of the swimming moose

On the other hand, I once saw a young bull in velvet swim across Resurrection Bay right from the city of Seward - and I don't mean across the mouth of a little cove, I mean a couple of miles.

About halfway across, one of the charter captains thought it would be a great idea to show his clients a swimming moose up close, so they pulled their downriggers and got within about 50 yards, diverting the moose further out into the bay.

Every time the moose changed course, they did too. Pretty soon it was obvious this guy was going to run the moose all over Resurrection Bay, and some people got on the radio. The skipper took a sufficient ration of grief (with clients on board) that he knocked it off, and the moose headed back toward Spring Creek CC.

The bull clearly cared very much about the boat angling toward him.

Man, I'm surprised that moose didn't end up drowning after all that.

Seems like a few years ago there was an eye witness account of a cow and a calf or two swimming from one island to another in the SE and some killer whales got one of the calves or something. Talk about the food chain....

Amazing story about the bull charging the truck. I've heard of buffalo doing that but not moose.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Maineguide View Post
    Most people would believe this story but fortunately one of my hunters was running his video camera the whole time.
    Hey, can you post that on "youtube" so we can see it?

moose used to like to lick our cars in the winter, then we got a garage
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.