Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Super Bug

Default Star Super Bug

Does anyone have any experience with the Star Super Bug or Star inflatables in general? Does Star make a quality boat? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on how the super bug does for multi-day trips? How many people and gear can they handle without becoming overloaded? Do they handle well in fast water, etc.... I have talked to a sales person and got some good information but was hoping for some other opinions. Thank you for looking

Default Star rafts

Your best bet would be to talk with Moose up in Fbks / North Pole. He has a few is his fleet. http://www.bluemooserafting.com/
    I had a 14ft Star Hurricane for 5 yrs or so & had no problems with it. Just a bit heavy & slow but it held a lot of weight.
    I still have a motor mount / frame attachment if you decide to get one & want to add a kicker to it.

Default Super Bug

Quote Originally Posted by scothill
    Does anyone have any experience with the Star Super Bug or Star inflatables in general? Does Star make a quality boat? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on how the super bug does for multi-day trips? How many people and gear can they handle without becoming overloaded? Do they handle well in fast water, etc.... I have talked to a sales person and got some good information but was hoping for some other opinions. Thank you for looking
    They are a decent boat Key Word Decent. Back in the day when they were inexpensive dollar for dollar I would say decent buy. Now that the price is comparable to the more traditional inflatable market I do not feel the value is there. Performance wise a 15ft Super Bug can be a hoot 2 people and an extended trip for 4-7 days up to Class IV water. They have a seam problem and the material is not close to be the quality of an AIRE or NRS. They are fast if not over-weighted, but once you have a load and if the floor touches the water you will have some flexing problems in Class III or higher water. They also tend to be able to over-inflate bursting seams. :-(

In my opinion you would be better off getting an NRS Otter for a couple of bucks more and a warranty with it.

Hope this helps.

Default Thanks

Moose,
    That was exactally the feedback I was looking for. Otter it is.

Default Rafts

Hi I own a backcountry equipment rental business here in Kotzebue Alaska. I know some guys who have Star rafts and the opinion I get is Star is “B” level equipment 2 when you compare to Avon, NRS and Sotar equipment.

I only rent bomb proof equipment because I don’t want my clients to have any surprises when they are in the middle of the Brooks Range. For the money I would go with a better established brand that has been around along time. There is nothing worse than a poorly constructed raft giving you trouble day 2 of a 10 day trip and your miles from anywhere!

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.

Default Broken Back Boat

$$$ much better spent on AIRE, NRS w/ better design, fabrics, craftsmanship, warranty, and local friendly "servicing" by AK Raft and Kayak. hmmm? do those guys really go out on float trips fishing? Maybe they'll make a movie about those guys some day???

With regards to the STAR Boats inquiry... stands for Short Term Alaska Raft!

Likely took the "O" from SOTAR (standing for State of the Art Raft - a very good & expensive boat) in a market "strategy"

While the STAR is not top drawer it is kinda affordable particularly demos or on close-out specials and would likely be just fine for the majority of usual users, floats, & to some degree of occasions/timeline/exposure to Alaska.

I will tell you flat out --- the Bug series design is the worst way to go!!!

It is as a rule not as forgiving on handling or safety as a cat --- lacks real continuous curvature and geometry --- and can’t be divided into parts for packing.

They are slow!!!!

Under truly heavy loads they will draft (lacking footprint) more than a standard self bailer of equivalent size.

It is promoted otherwise, yet conceptually plus in reality… what you are in receipt of is the worst traits of cats and self bailers rolled into one. Par none of the best!

It is worth adding that I tested Star boats several years ago on the LionsHead over a few weeks for a local rep. Tho' they had poor overall geomenty... they did hold up w/ no problems, and I purposely took the cats through big surf holes (that eat many day-trip floaters). The cats would make better power cats than river cats!

Another thing - The guy you likely spoke with back East is not a sales guy - he's the owner of STAR! nice guy... been around awhile... product is not US made!!!

Brian Richardson
    http://www.northernrim.com
    Last edited by Brian Richardson; 05-08-2006 at 22:23.

That is exactally the kind of information that I was looking for. I was looking at three different boats/designs at the beginning of the week and now only one boat/design. Now I just have to decide on a rowing frame. Do you guys recommend going as minimal as possible or plush. Flying my boat around in small planes is not a factor. I will be primarily using the boat in oregon were everything is road accessible. Although, I am planning a trip in sept on the birch.

What are your feelings on dry boxes and coolers? My background is a mix of backpacking and horsepacking so I do have some experience with plusher living but even then we kept it to a minimum. I have just about decided on a NRS bighorn I with a dry box and to use a small soft side cooler if I even use a cooler.

Again feedback is appreciated. Anything else you want to chime in about outfitting a raft would be appreciated.

Check out the Oar Saddle, its getting rave reviews up here and weighs next to nothing when compared to a standard rowing frame.

Default Oar Saddle

I actually looked at them on Saturday at Test the Waters. They seemed pretty cool and lightweight, but are they really preferebale to a traditional rowing frame? If so why? I understand if you are wanting to keep weight and size down but if that is not an issue are they still better?

Thumbs up Oar Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Check out the Oar Saddle, its getting rave reviews up here and weighs next to nothing when compared to a standard rowing frame.
    I met Kent Rotchy the inventor of the Oar Saddles in January at SCI / Reno. We spent some time together working on some presentations, and I found that he's a thoughtful fellow who has put a lot of energy into making a well-designed device.

Kent showed me some pictures of their use of the oar saddles on a small unnamed stream in Eastern Alaska; they were perfect, he said. Kent is quick to point out, however, that they are not perfect for every application. And I'll be quick to point out that I have not used them, and I am far from an expert on these things. But...they look right on target for some applications.

I interviewed Kent at the Great Alaska Sportsman's Show back in April, and you can listen to that intervew on line. Kent also has a website where you can read more about the product.

David

Thumbs up Great Input!

Moose,
    That was exactally the feedback I was looking for. Otter it is.
    When this thread first started, you were asking about STAR. Lately I've been pretty negative about a few things and didn't want to jump on this one too. I'm glad you've gotten some really good advice here though. The Otter is an excellent boat for your situation and I think you'll be very happy with it. I own one and have no complaints at all.

This is how it's supposed to work! There are lots of folks here who really know their stuff. Nice job, everyone!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Frame

I actually looked at them on Saturday at Test the Waters. They seemed cool and lightweight, but are they really preferebale to a traditional rowing frame? If so why? I understand if you are wanting to keep weight and size down but if that is not an issue are they still better?
    I am sure the Oar Saddle has its application. I have never utilized one on a larger boat so will refrain from commenting however I just can not see the use in it for hauling cargo. The main point in my opinion why you should use a frame although it is more cost it provides you with more options.

I just can't see you being able to spread your load out on a raft with an Oar Saddle. Mind you I am talking every day use verses your one or two times a year trip. I believe you will have more stability with a traditional frame and many more options to meet your changing needs be it float fishing or float hunting.

Best of Luck in your purchase. Shoot Jeff and or Tracy a note or call Alaska Raft and Kayak for more on the subject. If you are having the Otter Shipped to Fairbanks give me a note and I will help with your set up.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Default thanks for all the feedback

I am loving all the information. I appreciate it. It is alot easier to make decisions with good advice. I hope/plan to use the boat more then twice a year.

Moose,
    I was in Fairbanks visiting my Dad and doing some scouting of the birch area. I am back in Oregon now, but I really appreciate the offer.

Default ...answering ensuing query

Been following this thread knowing by and large you have received sensible feedback.

Here are a few things that may answer ensuing query:

The oar saddle is not a new conception by any stretch with the exception of materials, latest promotion, and compatibility with other mainstream boating garnishes. However they are not to be mystified as a bona-fide frame replacement. They are more a “stand-in” (pardon the quip) accessory. They have certain rationale, but in no scheme of approach match up to to a well-built frame that maintains a supportive rowing station… and like another poster related – superior cargo carrying preferences.

So when getting your frame --- Go production leader and now industry standard NRS blueprint or a custom based on same materials and fittings like Alaska Raft & Kayaks. I’d shun superfluities and out of the ordinary designs… in other words – no sense in struggling w/ the stuff that is not compatible with other well established river equipment. Modifications will thin the pocketbook and few will measure up as valid return

On frames --- the one to go with is the NRS “Compact Outfitter” (sit on one box or cooler as the row station, have the foot bracing, & include another box/cooler, drop soft side, or run a board, tramp fabric, diamond-plate etc. on the forward section).

Boat --- I know some on here held… go NRS Otter! I “utter” Nope! Then shout out NO way!!! This is not even first-rate NRS!!! I’d go right on up to the E-140 if you go the NRS line-up. In my opinion the AIRE Super-Duper-Puma will be a better boat, better quality, nicer looking, and you’ll benefit from refinement w/ much sportier handling.

- That’s staying to more day trippers or not extended overload bearing outings -

Of course moving on up in size will get pricier… so if 15’ fits your needs this is where the Otter 15 justly is competitive – some $1000 or more bucks cheaper. Nevertheless, if you go this route get a new 2006 boat! - There are some improvements. Also remember tho’ the Otter has just a 5 year warranty… unlike the 10 on NRS Expedition models and AIRE boats!!!!!

Brian Richardson
    http://www.northernrim.com

Thumbs up Comments on Oar Saddles and Otters

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson
    ...The oar saddle ...have certain rationale, but ...no ...match up to to a well-built frame...

Boat --- I know some on here held… go NRS Otter! I “utter” Nope! Then shout out NO way!!! This is not even first-rate NRS!!! I’d go right on up to the E-140 if you go the NRS line-up. In my opinion the AIRE Super-Duper-Puma will be a better boat, better quality, nicer looking, and you’ll benefit from refinement w/ much sportier handling.
    Brian,

I agree on the boats, but somewhat disagree on the Oar Saddles. Here's my thinking on both.

OAR SADDLES

The Oar Saddle will never replace a full-blown (or even half-blown) raft frame. It's not supposed to. It's just intended as an add-on, primarily for inflatable canoes where space is at a premium, but you need the control offered by a rowing setup. I know there are potential issues with the rest of the rowing station (seat and foot braces), but this can work in some situations, and indeed in some cases I would recommend nothing else. For example, I would strongly suggest an AIRE Traveler with Oar Saddles for pack-in, float-out trips. Very light and perfect for the situation. You don't want a rowing frame in that case (my opinion and mostly applies to float hunting on Class I-II). Anyway, I'm attaching a photo of Kent Rotchy running an Oar-Saddle equipped boat through some pretty heavy water, to sort of put some perspective on this. This isn't the ONLY way to go, it is just ONE way. I still haven't made my mind up about Oar Saddles on full-sized round boats; there are certainly situations where they will get the job done, but I have some concerns. I would run them on a plastic boat before going with a rubber boat though, because of the performance superiority of plastic. Still, with a bigger boat like a full-sized round boat you really need the rest of the rowing station (seat and footbrace) integrated with this I think.

NRS OTTER

The Otter is an entry-level boat. Any time someone begins a discussion about cheaper boats (like STAR), I'm assuming they're on a pretty tight budget. The Otter is certainly a cut above the STAR product. You know me well enough to know that I usually recommend top-notch gear. If the guy was asking for recommendations on the best 14-foot round boat out there, my list would have been different. He would have been hearing about some of the top-end rubber boats, and a lot more about the plastics like AIRE and SOTAR. Anyway, I wanted to clear that up. Plainly, the E-series are better (but heavier) boats than the Otter livery series. But they ARE a really good entry-level boat for someone on a budget.

Hope that makes sense?

-Mike

Now, here's that Oar Saddle pic- (thanks Kent!)
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 05-10-2006 at 20:33.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Budget Concerns

I was mainly looking at the Star based on features. I like the idea of a cataraft but with kids and dogs in the mix I didn't feel that they were a good idea. The Super Bug looked like a way to have a cataraft with the safety (i.e. a tub all the way around) of a round boat. My budget is not unlimited but I typically buy the best once as it saves money in the long run. Besides the otter I am looking at the aire 143R. The otter I am looking at is not the livery series one. Is that still not a top of the line boat? I guess the new question is what is the boat that you recommend for a 14' round boat?

I had looked at the pumas as they seem pretty popular but their load capacity seems pretty low. Everyone in my family is pretty large so I was thinking to do a multi-day trip I was wanting around 1500-1800 lb capacity and the super duper puma is only 1150.

Thumbs up Better Inflatable Boat Recommendation!

I was mainly looking at the Star based on features. I like the idea of a cataraft but with kids and dogs in the mix I didn't feel that they were a good idea. The Super Bug looked like a way to have a cataraft with the safety (i.e. a tub all the way around) of a round boat. My budget is not unlimited but I typically buy the best once as it saves money in the long run. Besides the otter I am looking at the aire 143R. The otter I am looking at is not the livery series one. Is that still not a top of the line boat? I guess the new question is what is the boat that you recommend for a 14' round boat?

I had looked at the pumas as they seem pretty popular but their load capacity seems pretty low. Everyone in my family is pretty large so I was thinking to do a multi-day trip I was wanting around 1500-1800 lb capacity and the super duper puma is only 1150.
    Ahhhh... I understand. My apologies. I mostly stayed out of this discussion because I thought you were focused on STAR. Usually when someone is really vectored in on a cheaper boat, it means the money is tight. At that point, options are limited.

BOATS FOR BIG LOADS

With the load stats you quoted, I would not recommend a fourteen-footer at all. I don't know how experienced you are with this stuff, but usually when someone is already talking up to 1800# of payload, they're gonna need some room. A fourteen just isn't going to do it, in my view. There are two problems you have here. For starters, you'll probably run out of space before you run out of carrying capacity. 1800# of people, dogs and gear take up a LOT of room. Everything is going to be piled on top of everything else. The second issue is that manufacturer's stated load capacities are all over the map. Even if their numbers were accurate, under what parameters are we talking max load? Heavy whitewater? Class III? Flat Class I? All of these conditions, plus your experience level mean that a max load is a moving target. So in one sense, the numbers don't mean a whole lot. Having said that, you can still use the numbers in general for comparison shopping, but....

AIRE 156. If you're set on a round boat, I'd have a look at AIRE's 156 in either the R or D models. The "R" series has the same tube diameter all the way around, and the "D" series has a diminishing tube diameter in the bow and stern. This gives you more room inside the boat in these areas at the cost of load capacity. Interior space in a round boat is always at a premium, so for a lot of folks this increased space is a real plus. Whether you need an "R" or a "D" is up to you. I'd look at 'em both. If you're only floating Class I-II rivers, you'll probably be fine with the "D" series, and you get more room. I might also mention that the "D" boats are easier to row in a headwind situation than are the full-sized tubes, because the smaller diameter in the bow sheds wind more easily. This is no small consideration on some of our rivers. While you're looking at the AIRE round boats, you might also consider their "SFP Upgrade" option. This is a totally sealed floor system, with access to the inner bladder via two watertight zippers. This will keep glacial silt out of your floor. This gets into a longer discussion, which I won't go in to here, but there are reasons to look at this floor- and reasons not to.

CATARAFTS

AIRE Leopard. You sounded open to a cataraft. The problem is with the numbers you gave; your options are limited if you're carrying 1800#. Normally my first recommendation would be the 18' Leopard http://www.aire.com/AIRE/leopard.shtml . AIRE specs it out at 2073#, but I'd go a little less than that or you're gonna be dragging it in the shallows. I have one and it works great for my purposes though. You need to remember that an 18' cat has about the same load capacity as a 14' self-bailing round boat. So... the cat gives you TONS more room to stretch out, but less capacity than you might think. You won't be as crowded with a cat, but they're easily overloaded.

AIRE Lion. Another option might be the AIRE Lion http://www.aire.com/AIRE/lion18.shtml . This boat, even conservatively, will certainly meet your needs in terms of load capacity. The only problem I have with this boat is that the blunt ends on the tubes don't lend themselves very well to outboard use. You put a big outboard on this boat and she's gonna plow like a barge unless you get the whole bow out of the water. You're going to be soaked from the spray generated on both sides of the tubes up front. So if you're thinking of an outboard later (and you should, unless you're just a river drifter), you need to look at something else.

NRS Kodiak Cataraft. The other option to the AIRE Lion is the NRS (Northwest River Supplies) 18' "Kodiak" cataraft. This is their "big kahuna", and should give you no trouble in terms of capacity. You'll have some of the same performance issues you get with the Lion though; mostly attributed to the blunt bow. You get huge load numbers with these boats, but at the cost of good outboard performance. An added factor with the Kodiak is that it's a rubber boat and will therefore flex more than the AIRE, which is plastic. This can translate into a softer boat, with slightly reduced performance characteristics. Lots of Kodiaks on the water up here though.

AIRE Super Leopard. One cat you might look at is the "Super Leopard". It has a HUGE load capacity, but regrettably is no longer made. You're in luck though; I just saw one here on this website in the swap and sell. It is brand-new and the guy is selling it at below retail, fully rigged. You won't find very many of these boats around. Here's the link: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...read.php?t=157 . Rather than describing the boat in detail, I'll attach a photo so you can see what's so special about it. Essentially, it's a Leopard with inner sponsons on the inside of the boat. This gives you a huge carrying capacity in terms of weight.

Flooring systems. You mentioned some well-founded concerns about flooring between the tubes. This is a problem easily dealt with. There are trampoline floors available, or you can go with wood. Lots of cats on the river with marine ply floors, painted with non-skid paint. Here's a link to a trampoline floor system http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...m-1261-To-1260 Just go to this link and click on "alternate view", and you'll see the frame with a floor installed. Many folks have been down this road before you and floor systems have come a LONG ways. Don't reject cats because of the floor!

OTHER BOATS

There are other boats you could look at as well. Here's a partial list.
    SOTAR makes three different eighteen-footers, but I couldn't find a lot of details (or photos) on their website. Surprising, because they make a very classy boat. Here's a link: http://www.sotar.com/
    Maravia makes an eighteen-footer, but I'd stay away from the frames you see in their catalog. Too bulky for fly-out trips. Here's a link to the boat: http://www.maravia.com/frames/main.cfm?page=casraft . The only Maravia dealer I know of in Alaska is Test the Waters in Fairbanks http://www.testthewaters.com/ . I spoke with some of their people recently and they seem like decent folks.
    Well, there are others, but this would be the direction I'd go. Look at AIRE first though...

WHY AIRE?

I recommend AIRE to Alaska boaters for four primary reasons:

1. Brand recognition. It's a known product to Alaskans, with a proven track record. There are a LOT of AIRES on the rivers up here; folks are familiar with them, and like 'em. This will weigh heavily in your favor if you ever decide to sell it.

2. Ten-year, no-fault warranty. If you're driving down the Seward Highway and the boat flies off the trailer and is run over by a Winnebago at fifty miles an hour (that's about red-line for a W), AIRE will replace it for free. If a bear eats three feet of the end of your boat (don't laugh, it happened to a friend of mine), AIRE will replace it for free. It doesn't matter what the cause, if your boat is damaged they will take care of it at any time during the first ten years of the life of the boat. In fact, it doesn't matter how many times the boat has changed hands- look at the serial number on the boat; the last two digits are the year it was built. If that number is within the last ten years, you're covered. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does this.

3. Ease of repair. If your buddy decides to clean a red on the side tube and pokes a hole in the boat with a fillet knife, you can repair the boat by putting tape (yes, TAPE) over the puncture on the inner bladder, and you're back in business. Simple as that. No glue, no nothin'. Glue a patch in your garage later when you have time to mess with it.

4. Local service. AIRE is the largest boat manufacturer in the country, and their largest store is right here in Anchorage: Alaska Raft and Kayak http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com/ . They sell and service the whole AIRE product line. If you have a warranty issue with your boat, you can "git 'er done" right here in town. If they can't fix it fast enough, they'll give you a rental at no chargea good decision now, and it will pay off later.

Good luck!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 05-11-2006 at 07:43.

Mike,
    that is great information thanks. I am actually in Oregon and just posting on here as it is the only real source I can find for backcountry multi day use on the internet.

I spent alot of time in a canoe when I was a kid and went on guided day trips in whitewater rafts for several years on a semi regular basis. I love the water and have wanted to get a boat for about 6 years now, or longer actually. Originally I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with a boat I just wanted to get on the water. After a couple of years of using my brothers canoe on occasion and thinking, I have decided that what I really want to do is float rivers. Lakes are alright but I love moving through the country on water. My first choice was a drift boat but they aren't cheap and I am not sure they are the best choice for what I want to do. So I started looking at rafts and then based on peoples responses on various threads I started looking at catarafts and found the super bug. I worked for the Forest Service for 5 years so I am pretty dang comfortable in the back country and understand the idea of quality gear, but boats are a new thing. So I am definitely a newbie when it comes to boats. My inital plans are to run class I-II rivers, but as I am wanting a boat that will last for a long time I don't want to rule out Class III or maybe even IV. Although I don't ever anticipate actively going after Class IV. I also really like the idea of a motor as I wouldn't have to depend as much on shuttles and could hit the river more often on my own without having to arrange another vehicle.

I arrived at load capacity as follows. My brother, his wife, and two girls, and I weight in at around 900 pounds conservatively and this is the most likely configuration for my largest load and my nieces will grow, and I might even have a girlfriend one day. Most of the books I have looked at suggest 100 lbs a person for multi day trips so then you are up to 1300-1400 lbs. I like to error on the side of caution so I was looking at the 1500 + range but figured that 1800 lb would probably do everything with room to spare but would not be to terribly large for one to two people to handle. Between us we also have three dogs....although that is a bridge I will cross down the road when I get things for humans figured out, but I do have it in mind.

Am I insane to think that I can do all that with one boat? I really like the idea of catarafts but don't want to chance the nieces going swimming unless they want to. I have also halfway though about picking up a couple of smaller boats like the pro pioneer and then just taking one or two depending on how many people are going.

Again I appreciate all the help.

I will also say that the boat will probably be used more for day trips and overnighters then multi-day trips. I just want the capability if it is at all possible.

Default Options

Well, two boats will certainly give you more options. I use my 18' Leopard almost constantly and it works great whether I'm by myself or hauling big loads on guided expedition hunting trips. Personally, I'd take a good look at the Leopard and trailer it on a snowmachine trailer.

Visit my website for some more photos of my boat if you like http://www.michaelstrahan.net . The link is on my signature line here too. There are photos on the home page and also the products page. I believe you will be happy with this boat.

What I REALLY like is the ability to put it in a small aircraft for fly-out trips. If you're thinking that you might want to come to Alaska some day and do that, you need to consider a breakdown frame.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast