Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future Of Hunting? How will it be?

Default The Future Of Hunting? How will it be?

Now we all know hunting originated as a means of survival, starting on foot, then graduating to dogsleds, boats, horses, and then later, just the last century past, airplanes, cars, snowmobiles and atvs. From primitive spears and bow and arrow to musket to highpowered rifle.....In the next 75 or 100 years, if the timeless art and tradition of hunting survives the upcoming changes and challenges from nature and people alike ( lets hope it does) how do you think it will change? improve? deteriorate? Think about this, what if say, 30 years from now, personal jet packs go on the market for say the price of todays luxury vehicles? how do you think it would change the way we hunt? would you do it? do you think fish and game would write up a set of regulations and rules for it? How would such a major change impact rural Alaska? How would this change affect the need for floatplanes and charters/ guides, as well as remote game populations and moose and caribou herds? With all this new technology constantly being evolved and coming into play, its only a matter of time before something like the jet pack or some other futuristic form of transportation becomes available to the public. Id like to hear some opinions and thoughts. I myself think that technology should start going backwards, and I hope things dont change for the worse with time. Just a crazy post but I thought it would be an interesting subject.

Release Lake Trout

Thumbs up

Dick Tracey was only the begining. Sci-Fi is here now and being used daily in our pursuit of game animals. Who would have thought, just a few short years ago, that you could consult/interface with hunters around the world from your own home? Technology strengthens knowledge to the point there is little more to be learned by most, if they have done any amount of research at all. All this talk of "traditional" hunting is long time gone and will never be seen again. I personally look for hunting to be gone before your kids lifetime is up. Things are happening faster and faster, some at alarming rates. Look how quickly we went from any moose, winter hunts, 5 nelchina caribou, etc. to what it is today. To put it in comparable terms where the young hunters of today can understand what it has been before is impossible, just as it is impossible to predict what it will be like in the next twenty years.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Unhappy already happening...

Look at Europe. That is where we are headed. It has already started and is being blessed by big name hunting organizations. Private land and fenced hunting is all over the "lower 48". Some of it is here in Alaska. It will only get worse with time.

I think it will be gone as well. Be it either lack of game to hunt or all the animal rights groups winning the battle and banning it all together. Besides with video games and all that there will be no need to hunt for real. I see it as a virtual sport very soon. Sad I know but it has already began.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Yes sir I understand you have spotted #c13568 at tire dump lake 13 and thats where we show him to be. With-in 120 days you will recive a replica set of antleers from #c13568. We thank you for hunting with us and remember in five years you can put in for a chance to spot another fine game animal.Don't forget to sign your check.

Default cool

makes you think

good thread but can't even imagine my response( aside from this one).
    May be WE will be the generation that walked up hill both ways back and forth from hunting camp in the snow bare (bear) foot.

Default 10-4

good one amigo lmao
    back in the day we would have to actually say

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF

Default I knew better than to open this thread...

... and I was right.
    DEPRESSING!

If you are that gloomy about hunting, then it is time to get off your butt and decide how you can make sure it DOESN'T happen.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... and I was right.
    DEPRESSING!

If you are that gloomy about hunting, then it is time to get off your butt and decide how you can make sure it DOESN'T happen.

or we could all join SFW and let them sell us our tags in a few years...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

personal jet pack?...I'd love to have one of those...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I look at the other 90% of the world with horror..... Roads, fences, increased population, increased pollution, acid rain, climate change, fish stocks in trouble, willows dominating the tundra, acifyed oceans, decresing ice and so on.......

Then I look at my kids, and I see that all that tenting around they were subjected to as children made them want to keep doing it them selfs as young adults. I hope they adjust to all changes in animal biodiversity and they can keep the future polititions at bay.

I thank myself and my wife for dragging them along and that they fully participate in keeping the house stocked with natural foods.
    I see that as my personal contribution to the contenuation of a Human tradition, mans first "Job" (the hair cut came after)

My wife commented that Welfare and Private land ownership are killing off the need for hunting as well as the room for hunting.

Soylent green IS people.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Question European hunting situation

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Look at Europe. That is where we are headed. It has already started and is being blessed by big name hunting organizations. Private land and fenced hunting is all over the "lower 48". Some of it is here in Alaska. It will only get worse with time.
    I'm familiar with how horribly bad (lost cause?) that anyone but the super-wealthy in Europe would find their options to hunt, but not familiar with big name hunting organizations that profess to support this situation. Can you give examples?

Besides that forlorn situation - there are also some pretty interesting hunting customs and traditions there: like, did you know that in bavaria, one required piece of equipment for the big game hunter to carry is a very loud horn? Yes. Just after dispatching your animal, you clip a piece of hair from the animal & put in in the hatband of your wool hat, and then you blow that horn loud and long; it can be easily heard for more than a mile.

Why? Two reasons. One is to celebrate your great success in the traditional way. Two is that action separates hunters from poachers, because the latter would never draw attention to himself after illegally taking big game. True story.

Default Integrity

I shot a nice boar yesterday. Afterwards I went Coho fishing. While loading up my gear a F&G Bio pulled up in a skiff. I honestly informed him that I had just shot, legally, a great bear. I then informed him completly of my plans for the sealing and processing of it.

When I got home I called a coworker whom I had promised the fish to. Her husband came over and I was working on the paws and head of the bear in my shop. He is a local police officer. The first thing I did was show him my locking tag attached to the bear. Then I talked fishing and shared a little of the days events.

We should hold fast and maintain immense integrity. For those that bash the younger generation.........I am the younger generation. I use a map and compass and practice fair chase hunting. I don't have a cabinet full of gagets. I've got a few pieces of technical gear but my most cherished hunting gear is a good pair of American made leather boots.

Blow your horn!

Smile well...

FamilyMan...What I meant was any hunting on private land and/or fenced in areas is similar to what hunting eventually evolved into in Europe. I think we see private land and fenced hunts advertised in major publications like SCI and many other hunting magazines and TV shows. I thought there was even a separate "record book listing" for fenced hunts. But, I could be wrong. Anyway, as we loose more and more public land to hunt on and more hunters are after the resource the inevitable happens, less hunting oppurtunities are available for hunters. I am not saying it is all wrong, just expressing my opinion on what I see and where we may be headed in the future as a result of our nations population increase and shift in priorities. Good hunting to you!

Excellent post Bighorse! I'd like to go hunting with you some day.

I too consider myself part of the younger generation. True, hunting may not be how it was 100 or 50 or even 10 years ago. Hardly anything's the way it used to be. The world changes. But before everyone writes off the younger generation as a lost cause, look at what you can do to change things in a positive way.

I think Bighorse is right on. Hunt with integrity and hunt with pride. Let people know that you hunt and why you hunt and set a good example.

A few weeks ago I met a young lady through a friend who had an interest in hunting. She's not your "typical" hunting type - she's one of those "green, liberal" types. But she was interested in hunting birds as a way to get exposed to hunting and supplementing her diet with wild meat. She'd taken a hunter ed, but had never gotten the chance to go hunting.

So I cancelled a day of personal bear hunting and took her bird hunting the next weekend. We talked about why I hunt, fair chase, that hunting's about more than just killing. And she really liked it. She's now been hunting twice. She's killed her first bird (a sprucie... no luck on ptarmies yet), she's learned to clean a bird, and she's cooked herself a delicious grouse & pasta dinner. She's talking about what type of gun she should buy. She can't wait to go again.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

All of us need to consider what our part is in this degradation of what we consider quality hunting.......what can we do to maintain our game populations and the beauty of our countryside?

The other factor that may have a tremendous impact wil be the high priced petroleum products that will inevitably arrive......will we have all the motorized equipment that we currently use for hunting. Perhaps hunting will improve as we regress to boots and backpacks from a railroad drop-off point.

We here in the USA have enjoyed an incredible level of prosperity that may not continue. Look at all the incredible Boyz Toyz and gear that our disposable income has allowed us to buy for pursuing game animals.

Considering the above, perhaps the fenced "hunts" may soon be the way to go....who knows?

Good point Vern.

On that subject...ban ATV/snow machine use on anything but maintained roads (or all together). It's coming soon enough. It's happened just about everywhere Outside, and it'll happen here sooner than later here. Enough "non-comsumptive" outdoor recreationists are going to speak out against running ATVs across the swamps and tundra and the environmental impacts. Heck, I've seen some of the damage caused by "hunters" attached to 4 and 6 wheels out there, and it makes me sick. Not saying ATV's can't be used responsibly for hunting, but there are just too many people abusing it. I'll stick to my boots.

While we're at it, ban flying by guides/transporters for two weeks before sheep season opens.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Not good.

I hope I am wrong, but I see it as 338 called it. There are more & more people out hunting. Some ethical & some not. I see over the counter tags going away & permits the way of the near future. I have seen more private land posted in recent years. I just know what has changed here in AK & in ID in the past 15 years & it isn't pretty.

I don't post much, but wanted to put in .02 worth. I've hunted since I was old enough to drag a gun through the woods, which is becoming longer ago than I really care to ponder. Suffice it to say it was long before trail cams interfaced with the computer at home, laser sights, gps, and there weren't 97 different kinds of tree stands available.

To me, all that crap is a crutch for not really, truly being a hunter. To be a hunter requires aquiring multiple skills which can only be gained by spending years in the woods, miles on the boots, learning what the game does over the seasons and the years. It requires a state of mind that does not come from watching the outdoor channel, but rather from growth of a certain state of being. A state of being that makes available a level of experience and a level of simple proficiency that for better or worse most people will not attain.

I won't be taping my way in and I won't have a GPS. I won't be walking in a 100 yards to a tree stand. ( how can people say they are going "hunting" and then walk five minutes to a stand and sit on their butts all day?) I won't be bai. . errrr planting a food plot or using C'mere Deer. I'll be the guy paddling up the lake or poling up the river in the canoe I built , or moving up, over the mountain to get away, far away, from the road and the folks who magically turn into Daniel Boone the night before the season opens even though they haven't put foot in the woods since last year. I won't be wearing a watch and I won't have a set time for coming back out.

I'll be the guy staying in the wall tent this summer on POW learning a new area all over again. The area I expect and intend to be the last one I'll need to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    Good point Vern.

On that subject...ban ATV/snow machine use on anything but maintained roads (or all together). It's coming soon enough. It's happened just about everywhere Outside, and it'll happen here sooner than later here. Enough "non-comsumptive" outdoor recreationists are going to speak out against running ATVs across the swamps and tundra and the environmental impacts. Heck, I've seen some of the damage caused by "hunters" attached to 4 and 6 wheels out there, and it makes me sick. Not saying ATV's can't be used responsibly for hunting, but there are just too many people abusing it. I'll stick to my boots.

While we're at it, ban flying by guides/transporters for two weeks before sheep season opens.
    +1 Keeping motorized vehicles to maintained roads would go a long way towards protecting game populations and increasing the quality of the hunt for those willing to make the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast