Thread: Kowa 82mm

Default Kowa 82mm

Curious about the Kowa 821M or the newer Kowa 82SV

82mm spotting scopes.
    Anyone on here have one? Fingerbang one? Impressions?

Kowa gets good reviews. Good prices.
    I have fairly "extensive" experience with a swaro 80mm 20-60x
    Would I look through the Kowa and notice a big difference? Or is the clarity and light gathering going to be similar enough that the price makes up for it?

I'm in the market for a spotting scope and price isn't as important as finding the "best" who ever it may be and whatever it may cost. Currently the Kowa HD equivelents seem to be the best thing going. Better than Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. I've been speaking with Bob Hodson owner of Barney's and he mentioned that an independant European test found Kowas to be the best incuding the big names mentioned above. I have Leica binos because I think they're the best and I'll probably have a Kowa spotting scope for that same reason. I still have a lot more research and I'm waiting to see what they come out with for 2010. I've got my hands on the Kowa 60's and they are decent, but my understanding is the larger objective HD (they call it something different) types are tops.

Brett

Are you talking about their scopes with the prominar XD setup??

I think that is their HD equivalent. Looks like it only comes in 77mm or 88mm objectives. I would like to look through one.

That's them. I haven't looked throught them yet. Bob was talking about getting one in at Barney's. If he does I'll let you know. The next time I go in I'll mention it to him.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    That's them. I haven't looked throught them yet. Bob was talking about getting one in at Barney's. If he does I'll let you know. The next time I go in I'll mention it to him.

Brett
    right on. let me know for sure.

About ren years ago, I attended a black powder cartridge rifle match and noticed that every competitor had a Lowa.....I used several of their 821s and soon ordered one.....I haven't compared it with other brands since then but it remains very bright and clear even though it has been out in a lot of rain and snow....I would consider it to be quite heavy for sheep hunting.

I use it a lot for scouting for moose and bison in the barly fields as I can find animals and even determine antler configurations in some quite dark evenings.

I bought it through Creedmor Sports.

I was thinking a 77-82 for bear and moose. A 65 for sheep.

Brett