Thread: 338 federal vs 358 on a win model 88

Default 338 federal vs 358 on a win model 88

thinking and looking for info on taking a model 88 Winchester in a 308 and either having it bored or replacing the barrel. I leaning towards a 338 federal but at one time thought about the 358. Seems like there is a lot more options for reloading, and over the counter ammo and maybe a bit more performance for the 338 federal? What is your opinion? would you consider boring a existing barrel or replacing it with new? If replacing where is a good place to find a blank barrel to do this.
    I believe this should be a pretty straight forward change, am I missing anything?-Steve

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by birchhillcamps View Post
    thinking and looking for info on taking a model 88 Winchester in a 308 and either having it bored or replacing the barrel. I leaning towards a 338 federal but at one time thought about the 358. Seems like there is a lot more options for reloading, and over the counter ammo and maybe a bit more performance for the 338 federal? What is your opinion? would you consider boring a existing barrel or replacing it with new? If replacing where is a good place to find a blank barrel to do this.
    I believe this should be a pretty straight forward change, am I missing anything?-Steve
    The 338 Federal operates at a chamber pressure of around 62,000 psi. The 358 operates at about 50,000 psi so the increased performance comes at the expense of the overall safety margine of the firearm. There might be a replacement barrel out there in 358 already.The 88 is so old it wasn't chambered in 338 Federal; but could be rebored, probably.
    The original adopters of the federal cartridge SAKO/TIKA-Berretta have stopped chambering for the 338 Fed,; I HEARD.
    But if you reload there shouldn't be any problem with ammo except that reloaded ammo won't reach factory velocities; I've heard.
    The 358 has a resonable following as of today and has had a lot of ammo developement done and is the favorite go to rifle of many. It's my choice.
    The 358 is notoriously accurate for a medium bore rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 358 hands down

Nothing against the 338 federal.... just have always wanted a fast handling rifle in 358 and this would be a real good candidate.

+ I'm not into spending $3 or more per round for factory ammo and have heard the same regarding handloaders not being able to match factory 338 fed specs.

The 358 was a d@mn find round way back when and still is.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 338 Federal operates at a chamber pressure of around 62,000 psi. The 358 operates at about 50,000 psi so the increased performance comes at the expense of the overall safety margine of the firearm. There might be a replacement barrel out there in 358 already.The 88 is so old it wasn't chambered in 338 Federal; but could be rebored, probably.
    The original adopters of the federal cartridge SAKO/TIKA-Berretta have stopped chambering for the 338 Fed,; I HEARD.
    But if you reload there shouldn't be any problem with ammo except that reloaded ammo won't reach factory velocities; I've heard.
    The 358 has a resonable following as of today and has had a lot of ammo developement done and is the favorite go to rifle of many. It's my choice.
    The 358 is notoriously accurate for a medium bore rifle.
    Where should I start to look for a replacement barrel, I have done some searches on-line with no luck so far. I know there seems to be a fair amount of the 358 out there, but the gun shop around here don't carry much in the way of 358 rounds. my reloading book has 2 - 200 grain and 250 grain round nose for 358, maybe I need to get some new reloading books?

Default 358

Pm sent !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Doug Turnbull rebores barrels I think....don't quote me. Hands down...the 358! I've owned and admired mine for a good while. Good ol 358 lever, some wool huntin clothes, a native made ash packbasket....and a canoe.....a Mainer's dream come true!

The 358 is a deadly round when combined with today's 225-250 grainer......it just plows it's way through any animal within 300 yds. with the proper bullet.

Default Savage 99 Conversion

I would give Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms a call. When I had my rifle in his shop he had a Savage 99 in 308 that he was converting. I believe he was going to the 338 Federal, but don't quote me on that. While not identical conversions, he might have some good lessons learned for you to think about.

I traded a couple of e-mails with Doug Trunbull last winter he did not want to do it. I talked with a couple of other gun smiths and they thought the barrel would be a bit thin after reboreing, even if it was shortened up, they said it would need a band front sight. ( which lead me to think about 338 federal) I know these come from the factory in a 358, I have seen a few, but never had a 308 to compare the barrel dia. dose anyone know if there was a diffrence?
    I think I would like if I can to find a new barrel for this, there is nothing wrong with the barrel that is on the gun, but would like something a bit better for moose and Black bear.-Steve

Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

$2500 is a bit out of my price range, It would be tough to put it to use in the woods with that much $ in it. I got less than $400 in the 308 and kinda like to do something with it, I am thinking, it would come in a lot less than $2000? I do have 2 of these in 308 and 1 in a 243, and 1 in a 7mm 08 that I bought that way, I like the 88's and pick them up when I find them and can afford them. -Steve

If you want a quick handling lever in .358 you can pick up a BLR. It is a much lighter and livelier rifle. I love the looks of the 88, but they are too heavy and long; the feel is a little awkward in the field IMO. The trigger on my BLR is better than any 88 or 100 I've owned or shot. Just a thought.

I own a 338 Federal (Tikka) and a 358 Win (BLR) and I can't tell there is a lot of difference in them so far as performance of the cartridges is concerned. In its defense I've only had the 338 Federal for about a year so maybe I'll find out the clear superiority of one or the other as I get more acquainted with the 338, but I doubt it. For that matter, I doubt there is much either will do that a 200 grain bullet in a .308 will not do just as well.

Default Make it unique

If you're gonna do it, why not make it interesting? How about a .338/284 or a .358/284? .30-06 case capacity, short lever throw, and enough powder to throw the heavy-for-caliber bullets to respectable velocity. And all that in a reasonably compact, easy to carry, fast handling rifle with side eject and a one-piece stock! Dang it! Now I want one!

I gotta stop reading this forum...I give myself more ideas than my wallet can support

Default Great.........

Thanks a lot DieselNut ............ now I've got another something to add to my christmas wishlist.

Have always been a fan of short action "stuff" but had never run across these. the 35 cal version is more than a little interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by birchhillcamps View Post
    I traded a couple of e-mails with Doug Trunbull last winter he did not want to do it. I talked with a couple of other gun smiths and they thought the barrel would be a bit thin after reboreing, even if it was shortened up, they said it would need a band front sight. ( which lead me to think about 338 federal) I know these come from the factory in a 358, I have seen a few, but never had a 308 to compare the barrel dia. dose anyone know if there was a diffrence?
    I think I would like if I can to find a new barrel for this, there is nothing wrong with the barrel that is on the gun, but would like something a bit better for moose and Black bear.-Steve
    I have an 88 in 308 and my brother has one in 358, they have the same barrel couture on the outside. You could call Numrich and ask for a 358 pull off barrel. The web says they are $77 but out of stock (see 358) but call and ask anyway.
    I have and love BLRs but it's my 88 thats always my go to gun.

Numrich homepage.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Have a stack of 88's. Barrel contour is the same on all of them. That includes the 358. Rebarreled one for a customer to 35/284 several years ago. Worked fine. Just pull your existing barrel and send it to Douglas and ask them to duplicate the contour. That way it will drop into the stock without any chopping. Just have to be precise when you cut the dovetail for the barrel anchor screw. Good luck! Love those 88's!

Default glad to here everyone talking about the model 88's

i am currently looking for a 243 and 358 in the winchester model 88 if anyone knows where i could find either of these guns please contact me via email at conradical001@yahoo.com it will b greatly appreciated!! thanx

I think the .358 Win. caliber is just right in a lever gun.

I had a Marlin 336 35 Rem rechambered to .356 Win...not quite a .358 but close...not sure the critter will know the differance. Pretty sure I like my Tikka in .338 Fed better.