Thread: Alaska Trappers Association Meeting TONIGHT!

Default Alaska Trappers Association Meeting TONIGHT!

Alaska Trappers Association Meeting is TONIGHT at the Dog Mushers Hall.
    630pm for food... donations accepted.
    700pm is the meeting with Mark Knapp being the speaker.
    Mark Knapp is the Association's Trapper of the Year 2004!
    http://www.alaskatrappers.org/
    See you there if you plan to attend!
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

Great meeting last night and listening to Mark's presentation.
    I am also thankful for brief speeches being done and over with.
    I didn't see any Outdoors Directory members there last night?
    Were you there?
    Lurker.

really want to get into trapping, but just haven't had any luck making more free time...one of these years

(it's on my future hobby list along with reloading, fly tying, and sleeping 8 hours a night! )

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    really want to get into trapping, but just haven't had any luck making more free time...one of these years

(it's on my future hobby list along with reloading, fly tying, and sleeping 8 hours a night! )
    You know... there is a trapper school that's going on next weekend.
    $130 for members
    $160 for non-members
    It's up at Twin Bears Camp

Maybe you should consider going because you never know how you fully feel about doing something of this nature until you explore it!
    Lurker.

thanks - I'd seen that.

But with young kids (too young to take em all with) it's just too hard right now to find the time. Plus I don't have a garage to work in and my wife does not like critters or bait in the house! (boiling traps is probably a no no too!)

thanks - I'd seen that.

But with young kids (too young to take em all with) it's just too hard right now to find the time. Plus I don't have a garage to work in and my wife does not like critters or bait in the house! (boiling traps is probably a no no too!)
    Wow... your wife and I should talk.
    We have younger kids, too. Each one of them have snowshoes, though, and we go out as often as possible. Maybe you should consider bringing them out on sleds and snowshoes first?
    Lurker.

sorry for the hijack in progress -

actually I've been thinking a lot the last few days of trying to get the rest of the family on either snow shoes or XC skis this year since I'm the only one that gets outside in the winter. (Except when I drag everyone ice fishing - the kids like it if I can keep em catching fish and the wife tolerates it if the heater works!)

snow shoes will probably be cheapest and besides I'm not sure my son (5) can handle skis (although I suspect he'd do better than his older sister - she is not my natural born athlete!) Have a 6 month old to figure out too, so maybe it's not even possible at all.

sorry for the hijack in progress -

actually I've been thinking a lot the last few days of trying to get the rest of the family on either snow shoes or XC skis this year since I'm the only one that gets outside in the winter. (Except when I drag everyone ice fishing - the kids like it if I can keep em catching fish and the wife tolerates it if the heater works!)

snow shoes will probably be cheapest and besides I'm not sure my son (5) can handle skis (although I suspect he'd do better than his older sister - she is not my natural born athlete!) Have a 6 month old to figure out too, so maybe it's not even possible at all.
    I think that they could do the snowshoes thing. It's important for Trapping, so it's not quite the hijack, I promise.

Maybe when the snow comes, you and your wife can take a snowshoeing trip with the husband and myself with our kidlets in tow and see if it's something that they could handle. Our kids are usually off and gone so maybe having kids around will help out your older one.

About the baby, it's possible. I hiked, climbed, and snowshoed with my daughter when she was just born. I'll have to find the pictures on my FB. All you have to do is bundle the little one up and bundle up well. If 1 hour is all that you can do, at least the baby would be exposed to getting out and trying out the snowshoeing thing.
    Lurker.

thanks for the invite - just add snow!

I put up another post under backcountry skiing... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...883#post589883