Thread: .35 Rem in Marlin 336D, looking for scope

Default .35 Rem in Marlin 336D, looking for scope

Okay, all you lever action fans out there, I have a nice marlin 336D in .35 Rem with a forward mounted Leupold scout scope. Thinking of putting a different scope on it, mount the scope above the receiver.

Question for you that own Marlin 336s with a scope, do you prefer a quick release mount or solid mount? Also, what power of scope do you have on your 336? I have XS ghost sights on this little shooter and would like to keep them on there.

What say ye?

Thumbs up 35 cal

Excellent Black Bear over Bait rifle the 35 Rem with Rem 200gr SPCL. I prefer a good low power scope like Leupold 2.5X Compact in Warne QR lever low Rings and Bases. Suggest replacing the front sight with a Williams Fire Sight. Really show up good in low light.

I'd leave it as is. I think it is one of the best rifles to config with a scout scope and this goes for the 1895 in 45-70 or 450 also. The ghost ring rear and square front post are good choice for the iron sights and the scout scope will serve well out to the limits of the cartridges. It does require the scout mount and it attaches in the barrel and receiver, not the best set up but within the accuracy capabilities of the rifle. With practice the scout set-up is an effective system.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

It's a trade-off for me. Scout mounting is really quick, but I appreciate the "view" in brush or low light of a low powered scope mounted over the receiver. I've also gotta say that scope covers on a scout scope are a sincere PITA. Hard to beat the scout for quick shooting, but as my eyes age it's harder to see with the scout and harder to use it in the rain.

My M336 35 Rem wears a Leupold 1.5x5, which best suits my uses and shooting styles. It will be distracting for you at first, because at 1.5x you can actually see the barrel and front sight through the scope. But man, can you really see your game and the world around it through that great big field of view.

I've played with the QD rings and mounts and I don't think I'm sold. Most of my guns are dedicated to either open sights or scopes, and not the switch between them. I've got good scope covers on my Marlin, and they work well in the worst storms while being a whole lot cheaper than QD rings and new sights.

I have the same model 336D on started right off with the XS peep sight. I switch to a VXII 1-4x20mm and love it just for those very close shots say 10-15 yards yet I can still hit stationary clays hung up at 100 yards. I used the leupold std bases and rings but any good QD rings would be fine. I liked the leupold base because the front ring is just forward of the receiver and allowed the scope to be further forward. I removed my front sight because I am not in remote area and can get to outer guns if needed.

My go to load is rem brass, fed 210 primer, 39.5 to 40.0grs of H4895, and the Rem CoreLokt 200gr RN. Its 2140-2188fps from that 18.5 " ported barrel and the last batch of new brass (39.5gr) grouped in at 1.25" so CC would say .9" and was 2144fps. My gun likes velocities of 2140-2160fps but will keep a 2.0" group at 2200fps with my max of 40.5grs.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Okay, all you lever action fans out there, I have a nice marlin 336D in .35 Rem with a forward mounted Leupold scout scope. Thinking of putting a different scope on it, mount the scope above the receiver.

Question for you that own Marlin 336s with a scope, do you prefer a quick release mount or solid mount? Also, what power of scope do you have on your 336? I have XS ghost sights on this little shooter and would like to keep them on there.

What say ye?

Just checking XS now has a new rail that goes from the rear of the reciever and forward to where the scout scope rail does. It has at the very rear where it is milled down the Ghost ring and it may be a QD or it is low enought to allow a scope with QD rings weaver type to be used.

Interesting, didn't think there'd be much interest in this little gun up here. I have a 336 Marauder in .35 and have been contemplating the same subject; to scope or not. It is currently unchanged since new and I'm finding the eyes appreciate the light gathering and assitance of a scope these days. I too, prefer the lower magnification with a larger field of view. It seems to me that with the reciever mount and the shorter eye relief, it would make a little better set up. My only concern is what the view would be on the little 16" barrell with the reciever mounted scope. I will be looking forward to some pictures.
    On loads for this, the 200gr Cor-lokt can't be beat. I've been using AA 2015 lately and have been very impressed with it both for the 45-70 as well as the .35. I've never used this gun much beyond 100yds but have taken several nice Black Bears over the years. A much under-rated round.

"My only concern is what the view would be on the little 16" barrell with the reciever mounted scope."

If anything, the view will be even "better" with that short barrel- less of it to appear through the scope at lower power settings. And I have to restate what a PITA scope covers are to work with on a scout scope. You can't see anything through them if they get rained on, but you can't see through them either until you get the scope covers off. All speed advantage for scout scopes is lost in the hassles of clearing them before you can shoot. A receiver mounted scope can be cleared of its scope covers almost instantly as you raise the rifle.

And yeah, those corlokts are tops in this caliber.

Default Scout-Scoped Carbines & Short-Rifles

Several seasons have past since I thought the "scout-scoping" notion on a hunting rifle would be interesting to try.

Most of these trials were put through the paces on short-barreled, dangerous-game guns (mostly at the range with some in the field practical) in cartridges from 375 H&H to .458 LOTT.

What I found is the only scout-scopes worth their weight 'had to have' some variation on a German to heavy-post reticle or a chevron, lighted dot, to some dot in circle you could really pick up fast. Reason... hardly acceptable narrow field of view like many pistol scopes.

True - the scout set-up is quick & reasonably natural to point w/ ample EER... yet it must... to have any real advantages on taking snap shots to the point of aim from such a narrow field.

10 years ago or so it seamed all the short-lived rage on carbine and shorter rifles. Never really caught on in most hunting conditions. I used my scout scopes on magnum handguns and never went back to using them on rifles. Guess I mounted a few craftily over Mil-surps rear irons from time to time to establish accuracy past 100 m.

Simply said... something like the quality 1.5-5x Leupold, receiver mounted, w/ great eye-relief, plus outstanding field of view is far more practical and in my opinion better served for most hunting applications. I'd go WARNE BASE and QD RINGS... Likely your Ghost ring (or get one that) will match the WARNE base grove.

Default Speer 220 gr

Never tried the Corelokts in this gun. I have tried the Speer 180 and 220 with the 220s shooting a little better in my reloads. The LeverEvolution ammo shoots well also as far as commercial ammo is concerned. This gun is a very handy piece and made well. The idea for a Leupold 1.5 -4 is appealing, although I'll likely wait for that purchase. The scout scope is quick and agile, but at much distance proves to be limited for my eyes. I do believe the above posts and my experience so far demonstrate a small variable powered scope would increase my confidance at the cartridge capable distance.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    Interesting, didn't think there'd be much interest in this little gun up here. I have a 336 Marauder in .35 and have been contemplating the same subject; to scope or not. It is currently unchanged since new and I'm finding the eyes appreciate the light gathering and assitance of a scope these days. I too, prefer the lower magnification with a larger field of view. It seems to me that with the reciever mount and the shorter eye relief, it would make a little better set up. My only concern is what the view would be on the little 16" barrell with the reciever mounted scope. I will be looking forward to some pictures.
    On loads for this, the 200gr Cor-lokt can't be beat. I've been using AA 2015 lately and have been very impressed with it both for the 45-70 as well as the .35. I've never used this gun much beyond 100yds but have taken several nice Black Bears over the years. A much under-rated round.
    AS for under rated yes these days where mainly numbers are concidered it is but it has been a eastern moose, black bear, deer, and pig killer for over a hundred years east of the mississipi. And its the combo of some real power in the handy 336 that is so effective. And with very low recoil as compared to a 45-70. And when moose or elk are consernd that 220gr is a really great bullet its a toss up for me between the CLRN @2188 fps or the Speer 220gr @ 2050fps which is all I get from the Buffalo Bore Ammo. For say black bears over bait. I like the better expantion of the corelokt and it is no slouch for penitration either but that is where the speer 220gr is the best.

As for receiver mounted scopes with a 18.5" barrel you can see the barrel with either the VXII 1-4 or a VXIII 1.5-5, but you quickly get so use to it you will not even know its there. The I have both scopes and the 1-4 has such a wide FOV dence ceder swamps and 10-15 yards shots at deer/bear are not a issue thats why I do not have any peep/scope combo on it its not needed other than a damaged scope in the field. I have dropped to using only one blizzer type scope cap on the front where at 1 power you can see thru it in focus once you start to turn the power up you have to flip it open. Where i my case I mount it so it flips down. I can do this quitley with my none trigger hand and its out of the way.

this is my .35 guide gun, and as you can see it shoots pretty good. this group is typical with the hornady leverevolution ammunition (which by the way is about half price of buffalo bore).

this rifle and scope carries well in a scabbard, and is light and pointy at the shoulder. i put in a "bearproof" ejector, trigger, and lever from wild west guns, and recommend the improvement. it is completely reliable.

my scope is a vari xll leupold 1X4. i don't like to shoot far but one shot a cow elk at 248 lazer measured yards. it double lunged her, dropped on the shot and rolled. she ran about 60 yards and piled up dead.
    happy trails.
    jh

Long as we're singing hymns to the 35 Remington, take a look at the RCBS 200 grain FN bullet. That is such a perfect bullet for the 35 Remington (and 358 Winnie, and 35 Whelen, and 358 Norma Mag, and 357 Herret), it should be enough to start everyone down the road of bullet casting. I've used it for deer when cast with Lyman #2 alloy, and it's unbelievably accurate when cast from wheelweights for plinking. I've never tried it hardcast, but it should be great there, too.

I'd take a look at the Burris Timberline 4X Compact. I have one mounted on a Rem 760 and like it very much. Lots of eye relief, quick field of view. Keeps the rifle profile trim.

Default why ejector?

Pinehavensredrocket,

What made you put in the Wild West package of ejector etc? Did it not eject well or was it more pre-emptive strike to prevent the failure in a tough situation?
    thanks,
    Chaps

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Pinehavensredrocket,

What made you put in the Wild West package of ejector etc? Did it not eject well or was it more pre-emptive strike to prevent the failure in a tough situation?
    thanks,
    Chaps
    chaps; i wanted to improve the trigger and the wildwest trigger gave me a crisp 2.5# pull. this really tightened my groups, from nearly 3" @ 100yds to 1.35" @ 100yds. this rifle has shot groups (3shot) as tight as .79" but i am not that consistant.

the "bearproof" ejector was an afterthought to potentially improve ejection. i liked the idea of a one piece unit rather than the issue ejector.

for the record...the ejector and the oversize lever were not necessary, but work well as a package. i also lapped the bolt, lightened tension on the loading gate and did my usual barrel break-in. it's is part of improving on an already great rifle.

this little carbine will shoot alongside many accurate bolt rifles...i like that.
    happy trails.
    jh

[/IMG]Well, this is my 1895MXLR .450 Marlin. For me this is a 200 yard gun with a 405 grain hardcast bullet. It is a new rifle to me so I'm still playing with it. I had a Nikon UCC Rifle scope on it but the Nikon would'nt hold a zero, so I put a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20. The magnafication range is perfect for me. The scope is low and easy to find and, on low power you can shoot with both eyes open and its on. I think Leupold makes the same scope in a 2-7x20 as well. I may look at mounting it with Leupold rings which might let you get it a little more forward which will allow you to crawl up a little more in there without getting a scope bite.
    [/IMG]

Default good rig

That looks really nice and handy.