Thread: any extreme shallow boats, phantoms, SJX or jetcraft run the Yukon for moose.

Default any extreme shallow boats, phantoms, SJX or jetcraft run the Yukon for moose.

Im looking at doing it next year with my SJX so any information is good to know. How much oil did you bring, how much fuel, average people in the boats how many moose were taken out in the boat. How fare did you travel. WHat type of spare parts did you take plugs fuel filter. Thanks for any and all information Chris

A guy I know just took his two sons up the Koyukuk and back in a Sport John. He said he was a bit nervous about taking a single motor up that far, but it performed great for him and he was very happy with the performance of the boat. I think he bought it just for that trip and it is now on the market. They didn't score on a moose, but they were loaded up with too much gear and got on step with no problems.

I plan to put in for Koyukuk moose this next year and I'd do the trip in my Predator. For sanity sake, I'd try to find others to commute with, but I'd plan to go on my own. As for spare parts, I'd probably bring extra plugs (both drain and spark), filters and some other basic odds and ends for easier in the field fixes.

Thanks Jerod
    Im waiting to see if I get invited with some other folks but if that doesnt work out plan on running the Ivasack(SP) for caribou if you dont mind Ill pick your brain about this also. once again thanks Chris

I think bringing extra spark plugs would be pretty useless if your running the 200hp Optimax. I haven't changed mine yet, but from my understanding it's a real PITA even in the shop.

ak troutbum
    how many hours do you have on your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    ak troutbum
    how many hours do you have on your boat.
    93 hrs now. I bought it in June with 50 hr.

you can change the plugs in the field, it is a bit of a PITA though....just make sure you pack a couple of wobblies to get to the back one.......If I was worried about it I'd just put fresh ones in before my trip and you probably won't have any issues
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I was told a plug change at the shop would be a 4 plus hour labor charge. The manifolds were changed from the outboard configuration and that has something to do with it.
    Years back we took a 175hp sport inboard down the Yukon. Fuel consumption went way up, as did oil. We would have run out except we were able to contact a friend who was flying out and brought us more.
    You might PM Snowwolf. He has done the trip w/ a Sport inboard. I know he was pretty heavy going in.
    I run a 150 prop in a 22' boat, and take way too much because of it. I know I could get rid of some luxuries, but the HP carries it all. I'd suggest the first time down there that you go pretty basic. That way you won't be so stressed about overloading the boat, you'll be safer, you'll use less fuel, and then you can make changes for the next time you do a Yukon Safari.
    Even though we are picky about gas, occasionally we run into water problems. Always use clean containers, filter the fuel going in, and use a flter while filling the boat. Extra in line filters like the Racor make a lot of sense. Taking a few bottles if Isopropyl Alcohol is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I was told a plug change at the shop would be a 4 plus hour labor charge.
    you are correct, that's what I heard from the shops as well...after doing it, I can't imagine ANY mechanic taking even close to that long...I bet some of the guys that are more familiar with the job can do it in half and hour....that included a quick beer break in the middle...lol...

lift your dog house and have a look....you can see the plugs, then you can see what you need to remove to get to them...on my XS it was the muffler and expansion chamber....can't be too different on the other boats....if i remember right I was able to get to the one real PITA plug with only one wobbly...

If anyone would like their plugs changed, I'd be happy to only charge you 3 hours 'book' time....
    pull my finger....

ak riverrat thanks for all the information, TJM I bet you would do it. Ha do you give LE discounts

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    you are correct, that's what I heard from the shops as well...after doing it, I can't imagine ANY mechanic taking even close to that long...I bet some of the guys that are more familiar with the job can do it in half and hour....that included a quick beer break in the middle...lol...

lift your dog house and have a look....you can see the plugs, then you can see what you need to remove to get to them...on my XS it was the muffler and expansion chamber....can't be too different on the other boats....if i remember right I was able to get to the one real PITA plug with only one wobbly...

If anyone would like their plugs changed, I'd be happy to only charge you 3 hours 'book' time....

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    do you give LE discounts
    no, no discounts......but I'd be happy to give you a hand anytime.......I wouldn't feel right charging someone anyways...lol
    pull my finger....

Default Hey, I'll do it

I give LE discounts. Let's see, 200% mark up and 50% off that. Sound good to you? And I get to practice on your boat to get smart. WOW. I like it.
    But only if you do K9 and bring the partner. No dog, no deal.

AK River Rat
    Sorry no K9 but I do have two labs that I use for hunting does that count. If you want to try one go up to Fairbanks they will let you have one for a small price tjm will have to take you up on that this spring. My plugs are fine but would like to know the way to do it to make it faster.

Only counts if they are old gray beards. Pups are fun, middle age cool, old veteran gray headed, gray footed hunting dogs the best. My 11 year old "Mr Man" can take my 11-87 down better than I can I think. He knows the difference between the bolt sliding home and the click of a Ruger Red Label closing. He thinks he can shoot better than me too. He is always giving me "the look" when I miss. Old hunting dogs are awesome.
    Fairbanks is home for me. Maybe I've seen you and the dogs out and about. I might have to poke my nose under the hood of a Sport Inboard just to check on all that hoopla about the plugs. Be fun to tinker a bit.
    Somebody refresh my memory, do the plugs on an Opti have to be indexed?

I have ran a 21ft Boulton with a 350 and Kodiak pump and I have ran a 24ft Seaark with a Yamahaa 150 four stroke with prop and taken a pump lower unit with me.

I have done some REALLY heavy loads. If you can't get on step run for the beach until the shallow water lifts you up and swing out.

I never had an issue running alone but what I did do was call the barge companies and find out when they are leaving for the last run up the river out in case I need to barge my boat out. And i have done that too :-)

I would haul empty drums from the bridge and just fill up all the way to Galena at Tanana and Ruby and then fuel up big in Galena. Less weight and stress on the boat.

As for parts if I can change it I took it :-)

Also keep in mind you can stash drums along the river, enough to get you back to Galena. Thats 300#'s your not carrying around.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Only counts if they are old gray beards. Pups are fun, middle age cool, old veteran gray headed, gray footed hunting dogs the best. My 11 year old "Mr Man" can take my 11-87 down better than I can I think. He knows the difference between the bolt sliding home and the click of a Ruger Red Label closing. He thinks he can shoot better than me too. He is always giving me "the look" when I miss. Old hunting dogs are awesome.
    Fairbanks is home for me. Maybe I've seen you and the dogs out and about. I might have to poke my nose under the hood of a Sport Inboard just to check on all that hoopla about the plugs. Be fun to tinker a bit.
    Somebody refresh my memory, do the plugs on an Opti have to be indexed?
    Ya I know what you mean my old chocolate lab was great. The ones I have now are two and 31/2. I live in Wasilla this is the first year I havent taken them out just seems life has gotten in the way lately.