Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agree/Disagree with ranch hunts

Default Agree/Disagree with ranch hunts

Those that agree with hunts post your reasons here why.

Default Those that disagree with ranch hunts,

Those that disagree with hunts post here.

it can be a great type of 'hunt' for handicapped or elderly.........

akiceman25

I agree......... as long as I get to shoot Beef Cows

Tear down the fences, let out the beef, and we all could help restore this contenent to its free roaming Bison, Elk, Pronghorn, ect herds.

I eat Beef because I hate Cows.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

For me it depends on the ranch and the character of the hunt.

Hunting whitetails on 20,000 acres is not the same as shooting a hand fed 400" class bull elk in a 20 acre pasture.

But...generally I'd say I'm against the practice, with exceptions.

I would rather spend 10 years hunting a wild animal and not being successful than going out and shooting one in a fenced area for a fee.

Takes all kinds I guess. Not a whole lot different than paying a hunting guide to take me to the game. Except we could drive to them instead of all that work of hiking and climbing up mountains.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Think of it as "Dig your own potatoes" or "Pick your own berries" but hunting by definition is the taking or pursuit of wild game is it not? So calling it hunting is kind misleading on all sides.

KK

E.S.,

Would have been better to combine the agree/disagree in one post imo. Maybe mods can do that.

In order to really discuss it you first need a definition of "hunt" that we can all agree on.

For me, the first prerequisite to call something "hunting" is that the animal one is after must be wild and free. I want to stress that is just my own personal ethic/opinion on what defines hunting.

There are a large number of variables, as we all know, between high-fenced ranches, size and how they are run, whether or not they use automatic feeders, whether or not they guarantee success etc.

Other aspects of how I define hunting relate to some of that. For example, even if an animal is wild and free, if a guide guarantees success, I do not consider that hunting (for me). Hunting should not involve guarantees.

There are other aspects too with game farming, that are less understood by the overall hunting community, such as the potential spread of disease to wild herds that has happened and is a very real danger should animals escape or mix with wild animals. This is why some states have banned the practice of game farming.

Controversial subject, and usually these type of discussions shed more heat than light. And in that respect, I would just advise that whether or not one agrees or disagrees with high-fenced hunts, no matter the circumstances, it should never be personal or something we judge another hunter for.
    Sincerely,

Default Narrow it down a bit

High fence or low fence?
    I don't really care for purchased game set out in a high fence situation. Although I know a guy who has 75,000 acres with one high fence around the perimiter in Africa.
    A regular 3-5 strand barbed wire fence in rural US doesn't contain or restrain wildlife at all in my opinion.
    I don't think that an animal in 75,000 acres is a give me by any means. I would rather hunt an animal in a large high fence situation than a "wild" whitetail or muley that has been baited in a no fence situation or in a farm yard.

In Illinois I used to hunt pheasants on a 2000 acre state-run put & take. Since the birds were released and not planted they'd quickly become wild and you'd get some good shooting (alot like hunting wild birds on opening day). I used to use a SXS 410 and sometimes a SXS 36 gauge muzzle loader to make it more challenging. I had a few complaints about the small gauge guns wounding birds but I alwaays hunted with my golden retreiver flushing dog and she'd make short work of any birds that hit the ground running. So ya, game preserves can be fun, they can keep your dog in tune, and for some they're better then nothing. I'd hunt birds like that here in Texas, but it's so expensive down here it takes all the fun out of it.
    Steve

Default maybe we should use the wiki on this site....

and start clarifying (references) definitions terms like:

hunting

high fence

ranching

guiding

outfitting

air taxi

transporting

water taxi....ect...

ect....?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Those that agree with hunts post your reasons here why.

because if the guy is willing to spend the $$$ to raise it, the guy that wants to buy should pay the fee... I can buy elk at the farmers market cut and wraped or i can go slit one...

Those that are in it for the SPORT only are the ones with the ethical dilema. I hunt meat, i cut meat, i eat meat, the end result of how that meat came to be on my table is the fork going in my mouth....

now IF the ranch raised animals are being suped up with steriods and such to get the bang for the buck... (no pun intended but it works) then there is NO point might as well eat the store bought...

it is not my choice to go to the rancher to pay for my meat.. but if he is willing to sell some, and some one is willing to pay for it... sounds like a living to me...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mark I agree that maybe the post's should be one. I just got a little furstrated on the other post when all the guy was doing was asking a question, and got hammered.

The thing started out about the price, and things and got of hand, some people were quoting wrong prices. Mind you I have no stakes in this and have never been out there hunting.

That being said the place offers 2000 arce's to hunt ,(or kill) or however you want to look at it.

Think about the money that the guy had to put out on the operation to get it going so some of them that want to enjoy it can.

The fence is there for a reason, as far a disease, that what its there for.

If you were to go to the lower 48, 90% of your hunts are on game ranchs.

Myself I think its a good thing, thats all I can say.

Default rights

I support land owner rights, the right to farm and less government control.

Plus, every guy that is hunting inside a pen is one that's not hunting outside of one.

Default Even

I'm not sure what you call a ranch hunt. The ranches in Alaska are small and don't offer much hunt. Afognak is a ranch hunt for elk, they run loose but have no where else to go. Some ranches are larger than Afognak Island so is hunting Afognak a canned hunt? Let's hear from past elk hunters on the island.
    Ranches in the lower 48 can involve a lot of leg work and being in very good shape. They may encompass 60,000 or more acres per hunting group. That's a lot of walking in some very beautiful and hostile country. It's not a pic-nic hunt like most people think; UNLESS you want it to be. Some hunts are catered to the clients wishes but that doesn't mean the game will co-operate. ASK SHPHTR on this forum how easy it was to chase down his Aqudad sheep in the mountains.
    These animals aren't pets or pen raised and archery hunts still require a good stalk and steady hand. A muzzle loader has a little more range but it still can't fix stupid. Even a modern rifle isn't a gaurantee for sucess.
    They do offer the capacity to hunt species of animals you'll never be able to hunt much less see in their native lands. They have a lot to offer both pros and con. NO, you dont just drive an animal into the corner of an 8 foot fence and shoot it; Many ranches don't even have high fences.
    Many ranches offer herd culling hunts for animals that you could never afford to keep their herd sound and productive. These make great kid hunts ladies hunts, family hunts, or off season hunts when other State and Federal seasons are closed.
    Many such hunts are waterfowl hunts, upland game birds,migratory game birds, turkey, wild boar, and exotics. A lot of species are seasonal and in very dense cover not for the faint of heart.

AND NO, not all ranches are the same; Just as all Bear guides in Alaska aren't equal. Some have excellent reputations for client service and care some "well" lets say are more lack-luster.

Everyone has to decide what and how they want to hunt !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I support land owner rights, the right to farm and less government control.

Plus, every guy that is hunting inside a pen is one that's not hunting outside of one.
    Both are excellent points. I could care less. I think I may even do one (bison) if I don't ever get drawn.

To each his own. Personally I'd rather "really" hunt.

Tim

It isn't fair chase. You miss him, he runs a ways and can't go farther. You know he'll always be around.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

[QUOTE=brav01;589073]These make great kid hunts ladies hunts, family hunts, or off season hunts when other State and Federal seasons are closed.
    QUOTE]

I agree be great opportunity for kids! Way things are in the state you go to an area with your family that has half the state is camped out at and when you see a Bull Moose you have 10 other guys looking at it so whoever is fastest on thier 4 wheeler gets 1st shot, don't sound like hunting to me sounds like a drag race to the moose! These type of hunt/shoots whatever you want to call it provide a great opportunity for a kid to harvest something. I think we need someone who has actually been to these ranches and have them post thier experience hunting the elk on these ranches.

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    It isn't fair chase. You miss him, he runs a ways and can't go farther. You know he'll always be around.
    Neither can the elk on Afognak Island.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast