Thread: Saturday Hay Flat report

Default Saturday Hay Flat report

Saturday morning 46 degrees slight wind that moved the deeks around a tad looked like it was going to be a good day to hunt. We shot 15 a mixed bag of Mallards, Widgeons, 1 Pintail, 1 Greenwing overall a tad disappointing we went 45 min without seeing a bird. We had a good spread and did our best. Only one big flock worked (Widgeons) about %80 in plumage we dropped 4, 3 were Drakes nice looking birds. All others came in were in pairs or singles. Most birds came from Coffee Point and were on a mission could see the flocks working at Duck Lake were a fair amount of shooting was coming from I believe they did well. The birds are not working north of Rabbit Slough. Its tough good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default access

Did you boat in or did you hoof it in?

My chocolate girl needs to get some feathers in her mouth one morning this weekend - not sure where I will tromp though...

Try jump shooting starting at the parking lot at Cottonwood Creek and after you get in a ways find a spot throw out a few deeks and hold tight it is slow but still better than going to work or sitting home. Rabbit slough down to Duck lake is still the best spot as of right now we are seeing some big flocks I believe its a tad early but everyday birds are coming. Just my opinion. Is your Lab from Alaska? How old?

Duck lakes sucked this past weekend. More people than ducks.

The big push is over from what I'm seeing. There are still birds, but not like two weeks ago. I'm sure there are still some good spots to pick up a limit or two but your going to have to be willing to work for them. find out where their feeding and you'll find the spot.Thursday and friday was great, but I couldn't get to many to work the deeks on sat. Then I found a spot where they whated to be, and it was game on. Ended the weekend with a triple on mallards. pulled the camp on sunday. There could be another push but I don't think it will be like two weekends ago.

Default Report

I still believe that they are not down in big numbers Alexander lake has been holding large amounts of birds as well as the Susitna Flats. That coming from a report from a friend from a fly over. Just this last Saturday we saw a flock of Spoonbills. The whole west coast of Alaska does not even have consistent freezing temps. We still shoot Mallards when we are froze here. Its already the second week of October and have what one day of freezing temps at night and getting to 49 during the day. Everyday this week it has been 46 degrees in the valley the Mallards are NOT down in numbers hell one of our Drakes we had to take second look to make sure it was a Drake. Mud lake in the Jims lake system has not shown any considerable numbers yet. I believe just about every day some birds have arrived. Ft Rich still has the Geese present they have not moved out yet they are gone from here by October. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
    I still believe that they are not down in big numbers Alexander lake has been holding large amounts of birds as well as the Susitna Flats. That coming from a report from a friend from a fly over. Just this last Saturday we saw a flock of Spoonbills. The whole west coast of Alaska does not even have consistent freezing temps. We still shoot Mallards when we are froze here. Its already the second week of October and have what one day of freezing temps at night and getting to 49 during the day. Everyday this week it has been 46 degrees in the valley the Mallards are NOT down in numbers hell one of our Drakes we had to take second look to make sure it was a Drake. Mud lake in the Jims lake system has not shown any considerable numbers yet. I believe just about every day some birds have arrived. Ft Rich still has the Geese present they have not moved out yet they are gone from here by October. Just my opinion.
    You may be right, but what I haven't been seeing on base says the main rush is out. I know there are still a lot of birds but not what was here two weeks ago, And I know what was here then. I was in the middle of them. Thats mo. I kind of, work in the field and the data just isn't there. But will let you know if it picks up. Im guessing not till we start getting some ice, Wich will concentrate the birds and make it seem like there are more then there really are. As for Alexander and the Su flats, when they get ice there I'm going to guess we'll have ice here.