Thread: Hydrogen Peroxide on meat???

Default Hydrogen Peroxide on meat???

I helped butcher a road kill for a guy who was next on the trooper list last night...

It was a yearling bull and he got a good solid hit. Stomach contents right under the hide, etc (kind of like field dressing a bowl of jello )

Anyway, the guy didnt like the smell of that stuff on the meat (we kept it all as clean as possible so there was just a little left on the meat and mostly just on the outer "tissue" not the meat.)

So..... he decides that it would be good to spray the meat down with hydrogen peroxide...you know, "bad" bacteria and all.....his moose, his call. I told him I've never heard of it being done, and the best way to deal with it was to just trim the contaminated outer tissue off with a knife asap.

Just curious if anyone has done this or what the affect on the meat would be...

I'm not in for much of the meat anyhow, but I did get the carcass for trap bait...its "tainting" as we speak

Default update...

Looks like I'm not just a killer of other folks threads..I can kill my own as well....LOL.

Just an update, I picked up some of the meat that had been sprayed heavy with peroxide. It was already trimmed and cut up, I havent eaten any yet, but it looked and smelled just fine. Maybe this is a non issue...

Still dont think I'd have done that myself but who knows...

does the bottle say its for human consumption, warning... do not injest, if so induce vomiting consult a doctor...
    i have no idea, i havent heard of that before.

Default Hydrogen Peroxide

Yep,

I have this vision in my head of a moose on the side of the road being sprayed down and then foaming like a giant shampoo bomb!

Seriously, It is okay to do as long as it is not too concentrated...3% concentration should be fine. It basically will kill all of the bacteria and will not hurt you. It would inhibit the rate of "Aging" but this is wild game and not a concern. The Hydrogen Peroxide can only break down into its elements...Hydrogen and Oxygen. When it interacts with the meat, the foaming is oxygen and the liquid remaining is water.

Cheers,

Matt M

Thanks guys.

Yea, I wish I'd have gotten a photo of those quarters hanging foaming and dripping.

It was diluted quite a bit in water so I'm sure it was ok in hindsight. It just seemed and looked odd.

It was actually small enough that three of us just lifted it up on the trailer and brought it home to butcher.

It was nice to be able to just plop the gutpile in a garbage bag right in the driveway... ready for the trapline!!

Not very often can one person drag a whole moose around by his rear legs!!!

Default If there is ever a next time...

Wipe it down with a mixture of white vinegar and water- 50/50. Doesn't turn the meat, helps put a decent skin on it, kills bugs and keeps them away and probably cheaper than hydro-perox!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Wipe it down with a mixture of white vinegar and water- 50/50. Doesn't turn the meat, helps put a decent skin on it, kills bugs and keeps them away and probably cheaper than hydro-perox!!!
    I would think spraying it down with citric acid might do the same thing as the vinegar.