Thread: Reporting violations

Default Reporting violations

I was exploring around the last few weeks and I went out hiking with a man I was renting some accommodation from. Long story short, he shot a bald eagle, a greater horned owl, and some sort of a sparrow hawk. He left them where they expired too. Then he showed me his wolf pelts that he proudly claimed were taken illegally from a supercub the previous winter. I tried to protest against the owl at the time but got nowhere. I'm not too familiar with regulations regarding birds of prey as I've never had the inclination to go after them but I'm pretty sure his sea otter pelts were suspect. Is there an anonymous tip-off service? I'm worried I'll be his next trophy if I report him.

You can report anonymously to the Troopers and F&G.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I would stand pround and point the finger. If arrested he will see you in court anyway.I would have probably let him trip on a log.

Talking

There is money to be made if you want it. You can report all them crimes to the:

Alaska Fish and Wildlife Safeguard @ 1-800-478-3377

At least one guy that regularly posts on this very forum, has been successful in his reporting. There was one very recent incident on this forum that would have yeilded someone a few bucks if they had chose to done this. I am not at all sure about what responsibilities a web site has to reporting known violations, but I see that craigslist and a few others post up a legal disclaimer and tell you that you are supposed to report known or suspected violations. I think it brings up a serious ethical/legal question about what you are supposed to report and what you are allowed to simply delete/ignore. It is a touchy subject for many, because on one hand they want to be or profess to be ethical and on the other hand they don't want to turn in their friends or partners. It is a dilema for them, I expect to have to choose what to do. Seems as though you are not alone in that regard.

Bottom line, the State of Alaska says you are supposed to report them and they want you to do just that. They are willling to pay you to do what you are already supposed to be doing. Or, you can ignore it, if your concience will allow it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All this in one day??

Can you give a clue?

Was his first name,,,Gordun??

Unfortunatly Safeguard is low on funds, so if you plan on doing some reporting don't rely on getting any sort of monetary reward. They are far and few between and slim to none. Besides, seeing the guy busted should be reward enough.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/AWT/SafeguardFaq.aspx
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Can't quiet understand why he shot the eagle and the owl then just left them lay. What was the purpose and why do it with someone there? Sounds pretty darn stupid if you ask me. Technically, just by you being there you could get in trouble, expecially if you don't report it. I would report it in a heartbeat....no question.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Default 1st one to call wins

I have a hard time believing that you did nothing. In fact, I have a hard time believing the story. Even a non hunter would know enough to question somebody shooting a bald eagle. And as somebody that comes across as, well, uneducated regarding hunting, you found this site ok.
    If the story is real, and he thought for a second you might talk, he'd call AST on you first. He'd turn you in to take the pressure off of himself. Then it is he said she said.
    As it stands now, if you can show them the animals, and help them build a case, you stand a better chance of staying out of trouble yourself.

Default Sounds like a fake thred???

This can't be true? Who would shoot a bald eagle in front of witness's that could testify against them? Nobody I know is that stupid!!! Why would you do it anyway, except to mount it next to your spotted owl? Doesn't sound right, if you ask me. Something isnot right in Denmark!!!

Default Should I report

If you don't you are a accomplish, Subject to all the penalties he is. (fines and jail time)

Simply put if your buddy goes in the liquor store and robs it while you sleep in the back seat. You robbed the liquor store.

Now you have an obligation of self preservation to turn this FRIEND in.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    I was exploring around the last few weeks and I went out hiking with a man I was renting some accommodation from. Long story short, he shot a bald eagle, a greater horned owl, and some sort of a sparrow hawk. He left them where they expired too. Then he showed me his wolf pelts that he proudly claimed were taken illegally from a supercub the previous winter. I tried to protest against the owl at the time but got nowhere. I'm not too familiar with regulations regarding birds of prey as I've never had the inclination to go after them but I'm pretty sure his sea otter pelts were suspect. Is there an anonymous tip-off service? I'm worried I'll be his next trophy if I report him.
    Obviously he blew two of the three S S S's...... did you see him shoot the animals? did you see them dead on the ground? if so you need to do the right thing.... if not .... well ...nice story
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Default ....

Sounds like a lamb or two might make it through next spring....

I don't believe this thread at all. C posted on another thread that he saw other extreem vilations and did nothing about it. I say a Anti in the mix trying to stir things up and make hunters look bad and making things up. I don't know a real outdoorsman that would not hesitate to report activity like this. Just me but I am a bit suspect about C's postings.

I find it really odd that "C" was here 18 hours ago but had no other input to ad to this. I'd say there's nothing to see here! (delete)........
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default I agree (Delete)

Looks funny to me too. How somebody could find, navigate and then post on this forum but not know how to report a violation of this scale is suspect big time. If he would have simply stated I need to report a violation can somebody help then I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But to list birds of prey, illegal wolves, and sea otters all in a few sentances? I just don't buy it.
    Wade Willis

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I find it really odd that "C" was here 18 hours ago but had no other input to ad to this. I'd say there's nothing to see here! (delete)........
    with the amount of LEO on this forum perhaps he is already under the bright lights..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ppfftt troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    with the amount of LEO on this forum perhaps he is already under the bright lights..
    Ohhhhhh we could only hope!