Thread: Sad day on the home front

Default Sad day on the home front

Our lettuce is toast, apples are eaten, and peas aren't gonna produce any more.

This was my first attempt at growing anything other than peas in SC Alaska. I had a garden in Ketchikan but it didn't do very well.

This summer I planted 4 different kinds of lettuce with red romaine being my favorite and pink leaf being my wife's favorite. It grew exceptionally well. We did the upside down tomato thing and got some nice tomatoes. I picked up 4 apple trees this spring from Costco and three of the trees produced apples (to my amazement and pleasure). The apples were a little bitter but that's fine. That's our first apple crop!

The most satisfying part of the garden has been the sweet peas. I lined a fence with super sweet peas and they produced like crazy. We ate them right off the bush, picked them for salads, carried them for snacks on road trips,...and they kept producing...and producing...and producing.

The pepper plants didn't produce a whole lot, probably a dozen in total. We've had fresh cilantro all summer as well as lemon balm.

The first garden here helped break me in. I'll be greenhousing next spring and hopefully will get a better pepper harvest. The fresh herbs were great.

Thanks for all the tips!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Awesome Harvest!

Hey congrats on the garden. I am looking forward to starting my first "real" attempt at gardening next spring. I have two apple trees that I picked up from Lowes but in 3 years they have produced exactly 3 olive sized apples that fell off the branch by July.
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Our lettuce is toast, apples are eaten, and peas aren't gonna produce any more.

This was my first attempt at growing anything other than peas in SC Alaska. I had a garden in Ketchikan but it didn't do very well.

This summer I planted 4 different kinds of lettuce with red romaine being my favorite and pink leaf being my wife's favorite. It grew exceptionally well. We did the upside down tomato thing and got some nice tomatoes. I picked up 4 apple trees this spring from Costco and three of the trees produced apples (to my amazement and pleasure). The apples were a little bitter but that's fine. That's our first apple crop!

The most satisfying part of the garden has been the sweet peas. I lined a fence with super sweet peas and they produced like crazy. We ate them right off the bush, picked them for salads, carried them for snacks on road trips,...and they kept producing...and producing...and producing.

The pepper plants didn't produce a whole lot, probably a dozen in total. We've had fresh cilantro all summer as well as lemon balm.

The first garden here helped break me in. I'll be greenhousing next spring and hopefully will get a better pepper harvest. The fresh herbs were great.

Thanks for all the tips!
    Yup, always kind of sad when you finally get that hard killing frost and the growing season is over. Happened here weeks ago.

My outside garden was probably the worst in history this year due to a hellish hail storm that hit us in mid June right as those little starts had taken hold and just as the others I planted as seeds were starting to sprout. The hail tore holes in every plant in the garden and just compacted the ground hard as a rock. Then the downpour after the hail turned the garden into a lake for a few days. We also had some pretty good frosts mid summer and that didn't help the peas and the potato patch.

My greenhouse on the other hand did wonderful. The peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, leaf lettuce and potted herbs grew like weeds. Maybe I should just grow everything in a greenhouse.

Still got some peppers, basil, oregano and summer savory in pots in the inside bay window.

18 degrees here this morning and the little side channel of the river out front stopped... Just yesterday we were out hauling wood in the big boat and enjoying catching a few grayling. What a difference a day makes.

Summers over, time to pull the boat off the river
    and get everything off the beach and get ready for freezup and winter.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default apple trees

Hi phish. just a little reminder that if you don't have them wired up real good the moose do love to eat apple trees in a big way.I did hear once that if you hang irish spring soap on the trees it is supposed to keep them away but you need to have them off by spring or it will draw bugs that you don't want.