Thread: polaris 6x6- 500cc or 800cc?

Default polaris 6x6- 500cc or 800cc?

I am considering buying a sportsman 6x6 atv,just for hunting and plowing snow.I have other atv's for pleasure.My dealer has the new IRS 800cc 6x6 but also has a new 08 500cc 6x6(chain drive)I can get the 500cc for a very good price.I heard the chains can be a bit of a pain,and it lacks ground clearance.I think the chain drive unit would be easier to mount snow tracks on though. Have the 800 6x6 belts held up ok?Man that's alot of cv boots on the 800.
    Any advise?Anyone have both?

thanks

I have got a 500 6x6. They are great machine.I also have several 4x4's. Yes there is certainly more maintainance with the chains. You can tell the groundclearance difference in a big way as well yet you usually dont have alot of issues with that as the 3rd axle makes up for that in most situations. All that said, I sure wish thta I could afford a new 800!!! Not for the motor, but that would be nice. The new suspension,ground clearance and no chains would be wonderful! I have been around them and the are flat amazing even compared to the 500 6x6.

The 2010 6x6 has so many engineering improvements over previous models it makes sense to bite the bullet and grab the 800.

If I had waited another year I would have the 6x6 ranger instead of the ranger xp. The IRS on the 6x6 makes a huge difference in all aspects of riding.

Would you rather have more power and not need it or less power and wish you had more?

I'm looking at the 800cc hard, I am a little concerned about reliability and the belt system,as I had some issues with the 800 sportsman 800 I had a few years ago

thanks

I've had a 500 6x6 for 5 or 6 years. It does everything I want it to do with power to spare. I've never had a problem with the chain drive, ground clearance, or power. I'm a happy camper who has no interest in the new model. I guess it depends on what you'll use it for.

My use will be plowing snow and hunting.I hunt in mountain terrain,sometimes muddy,deep creeks etc...
    Will be towing a trailer quite a bit. Does the 6x6 out tow a regular atv?Alot of steep hills etc...Maybe would look at some sort of track option

The 6x6 pulling power is impressive. I pull my 20' boat out of the water and up a steep bank using the 6 wheeler. Sometimes I need a come-along to help but that's because I'm spinning all 6, not because I'm lacking power. A 4 wheeler couldn't do what my 6x6 does. Neither will a winch.

Grunt traction? Advantage 6x6. Nimble handling? Advantage 4x4. Both have advantages.

Default 800

I have the new 800 and I really like it so far, three things to think about though the 800 gets around 7 miles to the gallon ,you can't put tracks on it, and the tank is only 4.1 gallons. The power, ride and ground clearance are great on the 800. I think the 500 got around 10 miles to the gallon, had ok power, but the friends I road with, that had them, had quite a bit of problems with the chains, thats why I waited for the shaft drive.

How much for the 500 ?
    I paid $9800 for my 800 this fall with winch and plow.

They want about $11000 for the 800 with winch and plow,and about $8500 for the 500cc, *These are canadian prices*

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    They want about $11000 for the 800 with winch and plow,and about $8500 for the 500cc, *These are canadian prices*
    $9800 for the 800 with winch and plow at Mckinley polaris907 683 2374

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    I'm looking at the 800cc hard, I am a little concerned about reliability and the belt system,as I had some issues with the 800 sportsman 800 I had a few years ago

thanks
    Not sure what your issues were on yours, but I currently have 4 Polaris wheelers in the yard. # 4x4 and a 6x6. One was bought new in 97. It has a ton of hard miles on it and is still ol' reliable. The only clutch issues have been from serious mis-use and abuse. ie- should have been and low gear. That and catching a rock to the clutch guard and cracking the case thus letting water in and getting the belt wet causing it to slip. Have only done that once with years of running these things hard. It would not say that it is a common thing, just a casualty of the way that we chose to work and play. The chains are a pain on the 6x6's for sure. Other than that, I can't say that I've had any issues with any of these wheelers that the other makes don't encounter as well. In you shoes, I'd bite the bullet and go 800. It should last you a good many years doing what you will be using it for.