Thread: .44 Barnes XPB FB???

Default .44 Barnes XPB FB???

Does anyone have any experience loading .44 cal Barnes XPB FB's in 200 gr. or 225 gr.? Im a believer in Barnes, and I've found some good data, but I would like some input.
    p.s. - Loading in a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 in.

I believe that is a brand spanking new bullet Barns just started this summer. I’m gonna be waiting to hear how it works when you get to it in hopes they make it for 454/460.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default .454

Im actually looking at putting it in a .454 as well. The bullets are just a little on the light side at 250 gr. to be a fun vicious hunting/prot. round. Expansion and weight retension in the tsx bullets and previous handgun bullets has been great, hopefully these are just as good if not an improvement.

They have it in .451" 275g for a 460 that should also work in a 454 depending on COL. 275g should be a good moose hunting weight but like you say still light for bear defense.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default .454

As painfull as it is, hot 350 gr. solids are what we carry for prot. Anything less just doesn't hurt near enough to have sufficient stopping power.

395 or 405 hard cast 460s is what I pack in the woods for bears and they can ouch some with out a proper grip.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by g.r.p. View Post
    Does anyone have any experience loading .44 cal Barnes XPB FB's in 200 gr. or 225 gr.? Im a believer in Barnes, and I've found some good data, but I would like some input.
    p.s. - Loading in a Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5 in.

I always question the use of very light, low SD bullets in big bore handguns. What do you want to do with that load? 200 to 225 grains are even light for the 41 Mag. I'm sure it will work fine and likely a very accurate bullet but what do you expect of it that a 250 grain or 300 grain hard cast can't give you?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Im a very big fan of Barnes bullets, and Im in no way wanting to use a 200 gr. bullet by choice, its just a lack of options by Barnes. I would pay big bucks for a 350 grainer, but they dont have one for the .44 or .454.

Quote Originally Posted by g.r.p. View Post
    Im a very big fan of Barnes bullets, and Im in no way wanting to use a 200 gr. bullet by choice, its just a lack of options by Barnes. I would pay big bucks for a 350 grainer, but they dont have one for the .44 or .454.

I think you missed the point. What are you expecting the bullet to do that a 350 grain Belt mountain Punch bullet can't do? Are you somehow stuck to only using just one brand of bullet because you're related to the owner or something? I think the 200 grain XPB in a 44 special for social occasions would be fine but generally the 44 mag is not used in that way.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I guess my main objective for that round would be best accuracy with moderate to good expansion/weight retention. I was under the impression that these bullets are very similar to the old black talon rounds, or at least as similar as possible?

... and no relation. I just really like Barnes bullets. Accuracy is second to none when loaded correctly in the right gun for "regular" bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think you missed the point. What are you expecting the bullet to do that a 350 grain Belt mountain Punch bullet can't do? Are you somehow stuck to only using just one brand of bullet because you're related to the owner or something? I think the 200 grain XPB in a 44 special for social occasions would be fine but generally the 44 mag is not used in that way.
    For me, I just like to play with new things and see what they are all about. It looks like it should be a good candidate for hunting and high 454/460 speeds that shoot flatter giving better range with good terminal performance. Could be all wet but I will never know if I donít give it a try. Everyone said RL17 would suck in a 308 but I tried it and got the best speed and accuracy I have ever gotten from a 308.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default send them a email

send barnes a email attention randy and tell him what you need to do, he may call you back or he will email you